PDA

View Full Version : Ferry flight to Costa Rica-need some info

vertibird
15th Aug 2007, 21:46
There is a possibility I will be ferying an R44 to Costa Rica from the US (east coast). Any helpful hints on routes, paperwork and intangibles? any help would be appreciated.

ferrydude
15th Aug 2007, 22:46
Your best route is direct Miami, remove blades and insert in shipping container.

BlenderPilot
16th Aug 2007, 02:48
Contact 3top on this same forum, he's ferried a couple of aircraft from the US to Panama.

If you have questions on Mexico specifically, let me know.

It promises to be one of those flights that you will remember forever, beatiful land all the way!

That last guy that replied, I'm sure he must come from JustHelicopters! And you call yourself a "FerryDude"??

ferrydude
18th Aug 2007, 15:37
Yep, that is what I call meeself. My comment to the original poster was based on my experience as a provider of ferrying services, not as a neophyte pilot looking to leach a nice trip and build time at someone elses expense. While certainly it would be lots of fun for someone, the difference in delivery costs between shipping versus flying is significant for this aircraft/route.
You might see things differently if you were footing the bill.

Now then, what would be your flight routing:ok:

vertibird
24th Aug 2007, 20:49
actually, ferrydude may be right-but the boss asked me to fly it, so now i am asking for help. figuring the route would start from brownsville, hug the coast and then over to the pacific to hug that coast. not being a neophyte pilot, but one with 1000+ hours in robbies, i want to be extra safe and ahead of any surprises.

manfromuncle
24th Aug 2007, 22:01
This lot have just been over that way. You could drop them a friendly email, I'm sure they would help

http://www.hellocopter.org/index.asp