PDA

View Full Version : Life beyond BALPA ?

beamer
31st Jan 2002, 01:55
A request for information and opinions.

No pay rise this year, bills get bigger despite. .the supposed low level of inflation, so now time. .perhaps to reduce the standing orders a little.

No question in my mind that 1% is too much to. .pay to BALPA. I like many others joined for some. .kind of legal protection - not the only reason,. .but an important one nonetheless.

So what are the options, put up and shut up or. .look for alternatives. I understand that the IPA. .have an insurance scheme but are there other. .ways and means of covering one's liability whilst. .at work above and beyond any cover provided by. .the Company ?

Any ideas gratefully received..........

xsimba
1st Feb 2002, 12:28
I'm thinking about joining the TGWU, £9 a month flat rate apparently. Not sure how much legal protection you get, but Balpa doesn't cover necessarily cover you anyway.

platespinner
1st Feb 2002, 14:00
Try Aircrew Legal Protection - not a union , but more realistic fees for legal protection- phone : uk 01865 400386

oscarh
1st Feb 2002, 16:33
Platespinner is quite right. . .A lot of pilots seem to be taken in by BALPAs sales pitch on legal protection when it can be bought more cheaply and effectively. Some enlightened employers even throw it into the package for free.. .Who needs BALPA with its expensive habits and sad reps.? Stirring the pot is about it IMHO.