Pages : [1] 2

wasdale
15th Aug 2007, 18:04
33 years ago today, August 15th 1974.

RIP Court Line Aviation.

Who's still out there?

west lakes
15th Aug 2007, 18:20
remember flying LGW - Turin &ret with them on a school ski holiday. Incredible Liveries

BOAC
15th Aug 2007, 20:36
Incredible leather boots on incredible legs...................:)

Bigt
15th Aug 2007, 20:36
I was at Luton soon after..........strange to see those letters taped over the aircraft doors sealing them

HZ123
15th Aug 2007, 20:42
Remember it well can someone put a link or furnish info on the Court Line Tristar that was taken from the States / Canada without permission.

Halcyon Days
16th Aug 2007, 20:29
I`m still here!!
The Tristar that left Canada was flown back overnight after the collapse of the company and there was some discussion as to whether or not they would be covered by insurance. Pete Hogg-the Captain-decided that the right thing to do was to get the passengers home. (Still dont really know if they actually were insured?
It was a very emotional moment when it arrived back in Luton the following morning.

Gumpy
16th Aug 2007, 21:13
Is it really 33 years?

I was operating on the L1011 that got stuck in Gander for 5 days in January 1974 with 400 Jamaicans on board, Peter Hogg was on that one as well, Pete Varley being the other Captain.

Happy Days!:)

Lancelot37
16th Aug 2007, 22:24
Was someone with the name of Collins involved in the company? His wife and son stayed at our house once, but it is so far in the distant the memory is hazy.

jabberwok
17th Aug 2007, 03:49
http://homepages.mcb.net/bones/WebAircraft/GAXML.jpg

wasdale
17th Aug 2007, 05:06
As a sideline, Peter Hogg murdered his wife in 1976 and hid her body in the depths of Wastwater in the Lake District where it was found eight years later.

Flying Lawyer
17th Aug 2007, 07:45
Just to set the record straight, in fairness to Peter Hogg -

He was found Not Guilty of murder.
The defence was provocation, and the jury took only about an hour to acquit him. He had been provoked for years by his wife being unfaithful, and eventually snapped during a row after she'd got home from a week away with her then lover (some banker) and flaunting her affair.
He was convicted of Manslaughter and jailed for three years, with an extra year for obstructing a coroner.

I wasn't in the case, just happened to be doing another murder trial at the Old Bailey at the time.

His wife was an air hostess.

FL

HZ123
17th Aug 2007, 11:13
I doubt that being unfaithful would be out of the norm today. Does anyone also have info on the 4 engined prop job that was bought for shipping the RB engines around?

Halcyon Days
17th Aug 2007, 11:31
The four engine prop job was a Beverley. XB259-I think?. It was never properly thought through and the aircraft would unlikely ever have been able to be flown on the civil reg. Plus the range of the Beverley was very limited and it would have taken forever to fly a spare engine to -say -the Caribean.
It stayed at Luton for a long time and was I think eventually flown to Brough.

west lakes
17th Aug 2007, 11:40
and hid her body in the depths of Wastwater

Wierd coincidence I was actually working in Wasdale (the valley not the Ppruner) the day the body was recovered, it having originally being found by a local diver I know

EGGW
17th Aug 2007, 12:11
Blackburn Beverley. Saw that arrive at LTN, yes i was in shorts at the time :ok:Now the last one in existence, up somewhere near Hull. Paull Airfield i think.

EGGW

treadigraph
17th Aug 2007, 13:00
I recall a wry comment by James Gilbert in Pilot at the time of the trial that amongst the books used to weigh Mrs Hogg's body down on the lake bottom was "The Fliers World" which he had written. "It wasn't that bad was it?" he asked.

Think the Beverley was the one that ended up at Southend wasn't it? The cockpit still exists at Duxford.

llanfairpg
17th Aug 2007, 13:09
Anyone remember TO accident with the BAC 1-11 that went through the cockpit of the Aztec at Luton killing the Aztec pilot.. I knew one of the girls in the back at the time MARY ROBB who later went to Birmingham with BA on the 1-11s

GAZIN
17th Aug 2007, 15:11
A bitter memory for me. My father was an engineer at Luton, I remember the papers being full of concern about the holiday makers, but hardly a mention for the unpaid employees, many of whom were never paid all that was owed to them:(

Halcyon Days
17th Aug 2007, 16:38
Dont remember anyone named Collins? Was he a Pilot/Engineer any further clues? (Bernard Collins was Luton airport director at about that time?)
Mary Robb was on the 1-11 that hit the Aztec. The surviving Aztec pilot was George Adams from Luton flying club and I think the 1-11 Captain was Pete
(?) name now escapes me -but he had a little goatie ginger beard and was nicknamed Rufus!! Went on to fly with Britannia.

wasdale
17th Aug 2007, 17:31
Pete Barber?

Halcyon Days
17th Aug 2007, 21:40
Thats him!!

pigboat
18th Aug 2007, 02:38
I remember taxiing past that pink 1011 in Gander. The F/O looked at the aircraft, then at me and made a vile joke about my family name. :p:ooh:

parabellum
18th Aug 2007, 12:00
Petr Hogg's wife, the one in the lake, was an ex Court Line FA and long dead before Air Europe started up in 1979 and I don't know about the banker but she did have an affair with the chef of the restaurant they were running.

Jaqui Maschera
18th Aug 2007, 14:28
I was the flight service supervisor on the very last flight out of Gander. On page 195 of Graham Simmons book 'Colours in the Sky' is my accoount of that very very sad flight home. The passengers were so lovely coming back but not a dry eye in the place with Pete Hoggs PA explaining what had happened it was oscar worthy!! Any other info anyone would like about it all ??

Jaqui Maschera
18th Aug 2007, 14:42
Jaqui Maschera & Ding Sadler Have Organised Another Courtline Reunion In Harpenden Next Year (2008) Anyone Interested In Joining Who Is Not Already On The List (had 3 so far) Let Us Know

brakedwell
18th Aug 2007, 14:45
Flying Lawyer
Peter was working for Danair when he was provoked. His wife was ex Court Line and then BA methinks. Air Europe did not start operating until March 1979, three years after she died. (I was called out to replace him on the day he was arrested).

Flying Lawyer
18th Aug 2007, 17:54
Thanks for the correction.
I've amended by post.

FL

parabellum
19th Aug 2007, 11:54
My pleasure FL. I just happened to be there at the time.

Flying Lawyer
19th Aug 2007, 13:14
Where? :confused:

brakedwell
19th Aug 2007, 13:49
Snorkelling?

Flying Lawyer
19th Aug 2007, 14:00
:)

virgo
21st Aug 2007, 12:36
Jaqui, could you PM me with re-union details

Jaqui Maschera
26th Aug 2007, 07:28
We are planning a mail out in November 2007. The reunion is October 2008 so we did not want to put it out until after October 2007. Some of us do get a bit confused!!! We have had the last 2 at the Harpenden House Hotel and they are quite happy to have us back! Ding & I went up to see them earlier in the year to get things confirmed & contracts signed. I am in the event organising biz so I wanted to get things in place just in case there is any hotel ownership change by '08. The last one we had quite a low turn out 69. To get our own private room & bar we need 75 so we had to do a wip round for the balance on the night which was not such a good thing. I organised the very first one with Geoff Tong in 1994 when I was working at the Royal Albion Hotel in Brighton and they have gone on since then. When I get a reply from you with your real name & e-mail address I will add you to the list and you will get the info.
I got the idea of joining pprune from Alan Walker as a way of perhaps tracking a few of the 'old crowd' so far it seems to have worked we have
had 3 replies and we still have a year!!
PS I have a bit of a ' technophobia' I thought I was answering to your personal e-mail address - at least I didnt say anyhting naughty!

Jaqui Maschera
26th Aug 2007, 07:47
I believe the body of Pete Hoggs wife was indentified by her wedding ring before they went into DNA tests.

Flying Lawyer
27th Aug 2007, 08:05
His and her initials were engraved on the under side, which certainly began the ID process.

FL

west lakes
27th Aug 2007, 18:45
This may be of interest re. Peter Hogg, from the local paper

http://www.whitehaven-news.co.uk/unknown/viewarticle.aspx?c=1143&id=354691

ATR42300
31st Aug 2007, 07:41
I have tried for a few years to obtain a copy of Graham Simmons book Colours in the Sky, without success through the second hand market.

Was the book a very limited run? His other subjects of Dan Air and Air Europe were excellent!

Buster the Bear
4th Sep 2007, 20:11
Can anyone tell me how and why Court Line operated HS-125 G-AVRG? I assume it was chartered out, but it seems a strange type to operate. I also remember a GY-80 and Bell Jet Ranger being operated by them?

I used to ride frequently on the pastel coloured coaches operated on local services around the Luton area.

Halcyon Days
5th Sep 2007, 19:26
The 125 was used by the MD for business trips and even made a few trips to the Caribbean but wasnt flown on charter to my knowledge. It was flown mainly with Dougie White in command.
On other occasions I can recall the late Great Capt John Cunningham
(of De Havilland fame/Comet etc) flying it with Dougie White too?
The Jet Ranger was G-AXMM and the Horizon was I think G-ASJY.
Dave Charity and later others also flew the Navajo G-AYEI on regular crew position flights to Bristol/Cardiff etc.
There was a regular coach service from the North London air terminal in Finchley road that would shuttle passengers from and to London.

Jaqui Maschera
14th Sep 2007, 09:30
I rang Graham Simmons last week about the book. He does not have any left but knows of someone who deals in airline history books so will check it out with him and let me know.

CLdave
14th Sep 2007, 15:38
the First Officer on the 1-11 that hit the Aztec was Clive Dudley, who went on to start the hang-gliding group on Dunstable Downs (I think he went off to Brunei after the airline crashed ?). I was working in Flight Dispatch at the time but was not on shift when the accident happened. When I next came on shift everyone was buzzing about the incident, and the official pics were being discreetly circulated. I was told that "Ramp-1 was sick" when he had to drive out to the crash site! Memories are made of this !

CLdave.

Buster the Bear
15th Sep 2007, 22:25
Court Line Coaches ran a network of bus services around the Luton & Dunstable area, I used to ride on the service that went from Dunstable to Luton via Caddington, to visit my in-laws along Whipperley Way.

Romeo Golf was resplendent in the company livery and looked 'bare' in the Shell corporate colours thereafter.

G-AYEI, oh yes! Was this the Navajo that Air Luton then once operated?

verticalhold
24th Sep 2007, 16:17
Dennis White Got me into the cockpits of the Tristar and 1-11s. As an aviation mad kid it had quite an effect. Nowadays I must be the age that Dennis was then and with a similar number of hours, and I have yet to see a FA dressed as sexily as the Court girls did!

Always wanted to fly the 1-11 or the Tristar and never got a chance in my career, doubt I ever will now.

VH

WHBM
25th Sep 2007, 08:40
Court Line Coaches ran a network of bus services around the Luton & Dunstable area, I used to ride on the service that went from Dunstable to Luton via Caddington, to visit my in-laws along Whipperley Way.
The airline purchased an established Luton area coach operator primarily to run their link to London, and the local bus routes came with that. The vehicles (mostly Ford R1114 for the technically minded) were painted in the same range of all-over colours as used for the aircraft.

http://nationalbusco.fotopic.net/p23219408.html

ericlday
25th Sep 2007, 09:24
Believe there was also a baloon in their colours but I am sure someone can confirm it with a registration

Level bust
25th Sep 2007, 12:14
The balloon was yellow and registered GBAND. They did inflate it once on the old 18/36 grass runway. Although I can't remember if it was tethered or it took off.

My father ran the coach part of the company for several months and reguarly hired one for Air training Corps days out! I think the company that was taken over was Costins, who were based in Gardenia Avenue, Luton

wasdale
25th Sep 2007, 17:49
I remember Mike Ellis used to fly the balloon. I think he had a part share in it. Can't remember who else.

parabellum
26th Sep 2007, 04:09
The late Mike James, who held the very first UK ATPL(Balloons), also worked for Court Line and may have flown their balloon too.

wasdale
26th Sep 2007, 04:30
That seems to ring a bell.

er340790
28th Sep 2007, 00:50
Just remembered that I was a 10-year old at the time, completing an airport scene on the back of the pack of Kellogg's Shreddies - finishing touch was a big yellow or purple Court Line TriStar sticker. They went bust the same day!

Good to see Shreddies are still around though......!

K.Whyjelly
28th Sep 2007, 19:48
Does anybody know if Capt Pete Barber of post #20 is the Pete Barber now of bmi??

CV880
30th Sep 2007, 03:26
The two Tristars ended up at Cathay Pacific in 1977 as VR-HHV (G-BAAA serial no. 1024) and VR-HHW (G-BAAB s/no. 1032) and were retired by CX in 1995/96.

wasdale
30th Sep 2007, 08:35
One of the TriStars is now sitting in the desert at GAMCO in Abu Dhabi, more or less in pieces. I imagine it was cannibalised for GF. :{

King Pong
30th Sep 2007, 16:17
Court line was born from the renaming of Autair in 1969. Didn't Autair have a HS 125 that crashed into the roof of Vauxhall Motors at Luton killing the two pilots?

Level bust
30th Sep 2007, 17:11
The a/c in question was GAVGW. Although owned by Autair, it was operated for Beechams, the drug company.

It crashed on a crew training flight on the 23rd December 1967 onto the roof of Vauxhall's paint shop. Fortunately the factory was closed for Christmas.

GAZIN
1st Oct 2007, 10:23
Found this on an old hard drive.
http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/2a00Iwf6Uevw6Y5Ks2oxCKRs1sxYZpFa2L3bv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

Hope it works!

stevie.C
2nd Oct 2007, 17:01
Have just joined after finding site looking up anything Court Line. I was a tech apprentice with Court from 1972 until that sad day in August 74. I would be very interested in attending any reunions just to talk about and remember probably the most innovative airline of its day ( remember seat back catering) on th 1-11's. My new found nostalgia resulted from my finding a long lost box of "stuff" when moving home (brochures, photos tickets and others collected in my two years or "aquired" when we ceased trading ( I was working that night ). For anyone who might remember my name is Steve Callaghan.

Gooneyone
7th Oct 2007, 01:34
Just a reminder: Courtline also bought out an interisland carrier in the W.I named Leeward Islands Air Transport. They used local crew to operate Avros and BAC 111s inter island. When Courtline folded, inter-island air transport virtually ceased in the eastern caribbean. A few days later, several regional governments came together, got a loan from the government of Venezuela and re-opened the company as LIAT(1974)Ltd. LIAT is still flying today.
Everyone remembers those colourful (and noisy) 111s

the_tartanterror
7th Oct 2007, 08:53
Is the Peter Varley mentioned the ex Gloster Aircraft Test Pilot? If so, anyone know his status/whereabouts? as i have been trying to find out information on him for my Test Pilot tribute website
Regds
TheTartanterror

wasdale
7th Oct 2007, 20:17
When I last heard of Pete he was flying an exec BAC1-11 out of KWI in the early 80's, I think it was. Then I heard of his death down the grapevine, so don't take that as Gospel.

Halcyon Days
8th Oct 2007, 19:38
Yes Pete Varley was an ex Gloster Test pilot and famed for his Javelin displays-as was Dickie Martin -who was also with Courtline.
Both have sadly passed on.

Flying Lawyer
14th Oct 2007, 20:46
Just out of curiosity, does anyone remember a captain called Fred ? who flew for Court Line? He lived in Harlow.
I knew him through friends when I lived in Harlow for a short time in 1969/70, but I can't now remember his surname.

If so, where did he go after the demise of CL?

wasdale
15th Oct 2007, 04:53
The only Fred I remember was Sheldrick, a very large man. A joy to fly with.

WHBM
15th Oct 2007, 08:57
probably the most innovative airline of its day (remember seat back catering) on the 1-11's.
As I understand it seatback catering was a considerable nuisance, which however did not dissuade Dan-Air at least, who picked up some of the One-Elevens after Court ceased trading, continuing with it on those aircraft so fitted for years afterwards. Notably the mechanism which held the two meals for outward and return sectors locked in place until the latter was released at the outstation was none too robust and it was all too easy for the outbound passenger (especially probing children) to fiddle with a coin and release, and eat, the return sector meal as well. It seems there were spare meals carried on board to overcome such problems but on occasions these were not sufficient !

Goodness, if the pax were so desperate for such in-flight catering they must have been hard times indeed !

....Leeward Islands Air Transport. They used local crew to operate Avros and BAC 111s inter island.
I believe the One-Elevens were only used in the Caribbean in the winter (their peak season), and balancing aircraft usage between summer in the UK and winter in the Caribbean was a key part of the decision to buy LIAT in the first place, aside from Court's various investments in hotels etc in the region. Certainly in the early 1970s work for a UK-based IT operator during the winter with a large fleet of new short-haul aircraft must have been very thin.

Jaqui Maschera
18th Oct 2007, 08:07
I think 'elf & Safety' would have a fit about seat back catering. Slice of pork pie or sandwices sitting in a cardboard box with no cling film, the return catering sometimes sitting there for several hours in variant temperatures!
We did have spares as 'break ins' often happened usually with a note left I remember one saying " a foreign mouse got her first". It really was very unappetising - the crew never ate them!!

wasdale
18th Oct 2007, 20:17
Oh the memories! That wonderful Rat Pie! :yuk::yuk::yuk:

Jaqui Maschera
29th Oct 2007, 17:25
In answer to Steve C. the next reunion is all set up for October 2008. Ding & I will be putting out all the details after Christmas, when hopefully everyone has a new diary! We always have a memory corner so anything new to add to it will be great. - the van has to stay outside, mores the pity! Crispin Maunder has set up a Courtline web site that will be launched in the next few weeks, all the information about it will be on PPRUNE. I hope this answers all your questions for now.

Jaqui Maschera
29th Oct 2007, 17:39
I received your e-mail about the very last day - so sad, I will never forget the customs & excise guy bounding up the steps and slapping a impounded sticker on the side of 'our baby' . I have a copy of the Daily Telegraph with a front page spread and photograph so I would be very intersted in the old photo that you have if you can e-mail it to me. Better still bring it to the next reunion with you as well.

Court Ramp
24th Feb 2008, 08:31
I was a 'Ramp 1' for one glorious year up to the end and would love to catch up with other OU people , names that stick in my mind are Malcolm Sutcliffe Ken Brooker and Kingsley Leighton all Ops and Pax services people.
Does anyone remember the Clarksons cruise where everything that could go wrong did. Late departure from LTN gales all over the Med a coach drivers strike in one port of call and various other disasters. My self and two other ground staff Heather Shoreland and Mervyn Berrill were sent out to Palermo to 'meet and greet' the returning pax and smooth the return trip.........I was in the Jump seat on the Pink Tristar.... On finals to Palermo the Capt told me that WX across all of UK was out due to fog and we would have to night stop . We went into the departure lounge and made an announcement to the waiting very pissed off pax that their ordeal was to continue . Coaches were arranged and the pax sent to a hotel . We returned to the A/C to collect as much gin as we could carry and went off with the crew to a much better hotel than the pax were in and started a party in the Captains room . I remember being in the hotel lift with all the cabincrew and two unknown British men who asked what we were doing , we told them a party was under way and would they care to join us which of course they did , they turned out to be two Conservative MP's on some junket to Italy . The rest of the night is a little hazy but I do reacall bedding going out of the window at some point ! Our return the next morning was subdued to say the least and the arrival at LTN was met by all the top brass from Head office and Clarksons. I just about made it down the steps and fell into the 'Ramp One' minivan to be driven home . I was just 21 and it was all such fun !

Halcyon Days
24th Feb 2008, 08:59
Court ramp-You have a pm.

captain.speaking
25th Feb 2008, 11:08
I'm hoping that there may be some ex-Autair readers of these posts - I'm researching the non-scheduled operations of various British Independent carriers in the summer of 1967, and am lacking data on the Autair HS748 and Ambassador operations during that season.

If anyone has any information they could share, I would be most grateful - routes, schedules, scans of logbooks etc ??

Hope to hear from you !

Flying Lawyer
26th Feb 2008, 17:25
Thanks Wasdale, and apologies for not responding sooner.

It was indeed Fred Sheldrick.
I remember him as a great chap.

Tudor

GotTheTshirt
1st Mar 2008, 10:25
The use of Seat Back catering was only thought up to increase in Flight Bar sales as in those days much of the flight profit came from the Duty Free Bar:}
It gave the cabin crew more time to flog the booze !

The Heralds were from Handley Page due to Non availablity of the Ambassadors from Globe Air

When Autair bought the Bac1-11's the MD said he wanted BAC to take the Ambassadors in part exchange but he said we wont bring it up until we have squeezed all the discounts.At the grand finale meeting the MD said to BAC we need you to take the Ambassadors in part exchange without batting an eye the BAC MD said "no problem, I will send my man up to weight them "!!:D

I have been away for the last couple of re-unions but will hopefully make the October one.:ok:

Incidentally Fred Kozo and Dave Cater are still gainfully employed ( I think:))

Jaqui Maschera
1st Mar 2008, 16:57
not sure who gotthetshirt is, but the reunion details will be on the Courtline website very soon Crispin Maunder is just finishing it off for Ding & I. I think we all remember Fred & Dave good to hear they are well - I'm sure Fred still has a bit to say about life!:)

WHBM
1st Mar 2008, 22:30
I'm researching the non-scheduled operations of various British Independent carriers in the summer of 1967, and am lacking data on the Autair HS748 and Ambassador operations during that season.
Any such research obviously starts with Tony Merton-Jones' book.

1967 was the last non-jet year for Autair - the One-Elevens started to arrive in 1968. They were building up their scheduled services as well as charters.

Their fleet was very mixed in this year. The Heralds had arrived, in addition to the 748s and Ambassadors, and the Bristol Freighter, the last of the Dakotas and the last two Vikings were still laying around, not certain how much use these got, if any.

Their main charter base was Luton, unlike other operators of the time they didn't particularly spread themselves round the country (Clarksons used Dan-Air for a lot of their various provincial departures). They did operate out of Bristol/Cardiff this year, then lost it, but Court returned there later.

They also operated in a bit of a different way to other holiday operators. The other major ones would tend to do a Saturday morning from Luton or Gatwick etc to Palma, then a Sunday night, then a Saturday night, etc, as they built up over time. Clarksons would just get Autair to do a Saturday morning from Luton, then duplicate it, then triplicate it, etc, as loads required, so in high season the bulk of the charter fleet might set off from Luton for the same trip pretty much together. With Court Line this was part of the rationale for buying the Tristars, because they built up a number of points which three or more One-Elevens would serve together. What this overlooked (and it was surprising that this was so) was that whereas you might do this in August, you could be down to a single One-Eleven on the run in May or October. This worked OK where costs were principally by the hour - don't operate all the fleet, don't get many of the costs, but the Tristar was of course indivisible in this way out of peak season, and there had been some over-optimistic expectation of how business might build up outside the school holidays - the season was much narrower in time 35-40 years ago.

Tempsford
2nd Mar 2008, 17:04
Last time I saw Fred was in BASCO AUH. He shouted my name fom the other side of the hangar. Could only have been him. Thought I was back in H61 at LTN!

Temps

GotTheTshirt
3rd Mar 2008, 06:16
WHBM

In 68 the DC3's had gone. Also do not remember the Bristol freighter?:confused:
We had the Beverley that we could not get UK civil certification on.
So that went to Beverley !

The Tristar was always planned to cover the winter longer range market and operated to the Caribbean to support the Court Line interests( hotels and airline) there. Which of course it did.

WHBM
4th Mar 2008, 06:48
1968 was one year on and the fleet had changed a lot. The One-Elevens had started arriving.

In 1967 the Bristol Freighter was G-AIFS and the last DC3 was G-APPO. Both had gone by the following year. The last Vikings were G-AGRW and G-AHPB, which were deregistered during summer 1968.

The Beverley came later, in 1973, intended to move RB.211 engines round to wherever a Tristar had conked out. With only two aircraft in the fleet it didn't show much confidence in the new engine. For many reasons, including the certification paperwork, it was never got into service of course. It would have been a hoot to see it making it to St. Lucia !

GotTheTshirt
4th Mar 2008, 11:30
WHBM

The L1011 had an RR RB211 engine.
It was the first big fan engine made in UK
It was unique in a 3 spool design
Its development had driven RR into bankruptcy (and nearly Lockhed)
We had the only ones in Europe.

I would say it was very prudent not to be overconfident :)

TEMPS

was that Gamco ?? rather than Basco
Fred went to Gulf Air after Court Line ( With a spell with the CL receiver) and was with them until he retired a couple for years ago. He was the GF rep in Gamco AUH.:cool:

WHBM
4th Mar 2008, 12:37
I think it would have been even more prudent to have bought an engine-carrying aircraft that actually worked ! :) :)

I guess Court got the idea of the Beverley from TWA. They had a Fairchild C-82 Packet, another ex-military type that was really unknown in the civil world, wich was based in Paris and turned up at various European points with spare engines and engineers as required and would doubtless have many spotters (or new FO's) saying "whatever type is that". But the TWA operation across Europe was on a completely different scale.

Did anyone ever propose painting the Beverley pink ?

Tempsford
5th Mar 2008, 22:00
GTS,

Sorry twas GAMCO, my error

Temps

ATNotts
6th Mar 2008, 18:24
WHBM

Though I was hardly out of short trousers at the time, I think I'm right in saying that the chief contributor to the downfall of Court Line was the British economy which was pretty dire at the time they went down the pan. Wasn't the £50.00 travel allowance still around then? I can't imagine how anyone travelled on holiday with that little cash in the back pocket - and no credit cards!

GotTheTshirt
6th Mar 2008, 19:21
WHBM
I think it would have been even more prudent to have bought an engine-carrying aircraft that actually worked !
and your suggestion would be ? :confused:

ATNotts
Yes partly but a couple of other factors
Clarkson who was the main customer went broke.
CourtLine bought Clarksons for £1 but the debts were too much.
Another factor was the fuel surcharge that hit the market those last couple of years ( and is back now:O)
Court Line group was very large which included major shipping interests. They offered most of the shipping assest to the Government. A price was agreed but the Government dragged its feet so CL went under

rog747
7th Mar 2008, 00:27
court line also owned apart from clarksons, horizon holidays and 4S travel and 4S sports travel...

horizon then got bought out by the directors i think and started orion airways bought later by britannia

4S travel was my first job
it was a small nice tour operator usng bcal/court line and air spain

WHBM
7th Mar 2008, 06:45
4S travel was my first job

Sun Sea Sand and Superjet if my memory is good enough.

Of course, always known as Sun Sea Sand and Sex.

Oh, did we do such things in those days ? :)

VC10Conway
7th Mar 2008, 14:07
Sadly my first sight of a Courtline jet was at Luton Airport in the autumn of 1974, where the two L1011s languished before being returned to Lockheed in Palmdale (from where I think they went to Cathay Pacific). I wish I'd seen their extraordinary looking fleet in action.

David S G Williams
22nd Mar 2008, 05:30
Jaqui,
Can you keep me posted on the 20008 re-union
"Thor the galley slave"

Storminnorm
26th Mar 2008, 14:54
Wasn't Fred Sheldrick, (or was it Sheldrake?), the Captain that
landed a 1-11 at Luton wearing a smoke mask with his head out
of the D/V window after the radome was absolutely wrecked by
hailstone coming back from Palma?:eek:

Halcyon Days
26th Mar 2008, 17:16
I seem to recollect it was "Hazel" Hazleden that bought that one in-if we are talking about the same incident ? I remember meeting the aircraft on arrival and the F/O was as white as a sheet but Hazel was as cool as a cucumber-all in a days work etc!! His pedigree as former Handley Page chief Test pilot probably went a long way towards his handling of the situation.

Storminnorm
26th Mar 2008, 18:14
Is it Halcyon Days, or Halcyon DAZE ?
Yes you are right, I think, It was a brill bit of flying
Whoever it was. Aircraft was a mess though!:ok:

Jaqui Maschera
27th Mar 2008, 12:28
Is that the one and only David Williams - ex Courtline & Gulf Air ???:p

Storminnorm
27th Mar 2008, 15:21
No, afraid not. It's the one & only Norm Hirst, ex-Court line,
KLM, IAS,Air Europe, and Britannia Airways. Sorry.

David S G Williams
29th Mar 2008, 03:28
Hi Jaqui,
Yes it is......Just over the boarder in Saudi these days but left Aviation years ago, If you remember MGW, He died last month at the grand old age of 84.
keep in touch,

pigboat
29th Mar 2008, 15:14
Court Line group was very large which included major shipping interests.

They had a tanker - Halcyon The Great (?) - at the oil refinery in Come-By-Chance NF when the bankruptcy writ came down. In the dead of night the crew warped her away from the dock using the spring lines instead of a tug and escaped, leading the RCMP on a merry chase down Placentia Bay. They got away with it too. :ok:

GotTheTshirt
31st Mar 2008, 01:07
Pigboat,
Yes it was Halcyon the Great !

It was one of the first tankers over 100,000 tons ;) Hence the name!

Of course old hat now seeing some of these tanker weights !

Court Line also had Court Line Helicopters in Cape Town ( John Bourne where are you now:O.)
They used to supply tankers coming round the Cape as these were now all too big to get through Suez. The tankers (On autopilot!) would not slow down or change course so the drops had to be made on the move ! Quite a challenge with the boat doing 20+ knots and a tail wind of 30 knots
We lost an S62 on that operation that touch the waves on the way back.

I believe the helicopters are still operating:bored:

WHBM
31st Mar 2008, 20:04
I believe the helicopters are still operating
Not only helicopters, but they had Convair 580s operating only a few years ago in what many here will think are some very familiar livery schemes !

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Court-Air/Convair-580/0144658/M/ (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Court-Air/Convair-580/0144658/M/)

and

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Court-Air/Convair-580/0217632/M/ (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Court-Air/Convair-580/0217632/M/)

yes, different base colours for each aircraft

VC10Conway
2nd Apr 2008, 15:53
Plus, they owned LIAT, which operated 1-11s painted in Court livery too.

GotTheTshirt
3rd Apr 2008, 09:24
WHBM

I remember the fixed wing side and the subtle change of name !;)

It was originally called Court Line Helicopters and wholly owned by CL.
After the collapse it was sold off I think to a local group and the name changed to Court and I think Court Air was added with the Fixed wing.
I seem to remember some fixed wing before the Convairs :confused: maybe Beech or Swearingen:hmm:

At the time of CL demise the Chief engineer was John Bourne

LGS6753
8th Apr 2008, 08:49
Other causes of the Court Line bankruptcy were:

1. The three-day week in the UK which reduced incomes dramatically
2. Increased oil prices following the 1973 Arab-Israeli war, also reducing people's disposable income.
3. Changes of Government in Greece, Spain and Portugal (revolutionary, not democratic!) creating a sense of uncertainty and nervousness in travellers.

Together, these factors led to a recession, and Court Line was financially weak for the reasons outlined in other posts.

LGS

GotTheTshirt
8th Apr 2008, 21:15
LGS,
There was another factor which you may remember.
3 years before with rising fuel prices operators decided to add a fuel surcharge on all flights. This amount was finalised 2 weeks prior to departure and punters were sent a supplementary invoice which had to be paid prior to departure. The amount was not even known until the bill arrived.
All operators did this so there was no escape.:*
Needless to say it was not popular.:=

In 1973 Thompson advertised NO fuel surcharge so all operators had to follow suit.
That winter Court was flying Caribbean operators so the fuel bite was hard.:ouch:

Jaqui Maschera
19th Apr 2008, 13:55
The reunion will be on Saturday 11th October in Harpenden for details please e-mail [email protected]:D

Juliet Sierra Papa
19th Apr 2008, 19:00
Hi all,
I remember well Court Lines in the UK as a young spotter. However I emigrated to South Africa in the mid 80's and being away from home anything you see that gives you memories of home becomes nostalgic, hence this post. I was on a business trip to CapeTown around 1993/4 at a company that is is located in the Harbour and I saw on 3 occasions a Court heli doing what looked liked pleasure trips. It was in the distinctive pastel colours with the word " Court" clearly visible.
Any connection??

GotTheTshirt
21st Apr 2008, 19:35
JSP,
This was part of Court Line.

The helicopters were Sikorsky's and they were servicing the Oil Tankers going round the Cape.
The were contracted to the Oil Companies and met the ships out at sea and supplied fresh goods, personnel and mail.

Juliet Sierra Papa
22nd Apr 2008, 18:45
GotTheTshirt, thanks for clarifying that for me.
I might have missed something in the previous postings here but how come the Helos where still operating in the mid 90's? Were Court & Court Line seperate entities?

JSP

carholme
23rd Apr 2008, 11:49
Sorry to break off the line of the thread but with all the talk about Autair and Court, does any body know where and if Bill Armstrong may have played a role.

I met him in the 70s when he had an office up at Wigmore Street and a small helicopter operation out at Luton. Talked to him several times over the next few years but eventually lost track.

Regards

carholme

GotTheTshirt
23rd Apr 2008, 21:21
JSP,
Originally all the same Court Line group. After the demise of the parent company the SA helios continued with the sale from the bankrupcy to local buy out.;)

Carholme
Bill had a company called Autair which as the name suggests operated helicopters ( Bells and S55)
The first DC was actually bought to transport the Bells to and from operating sites.
Then when there was big demand for UK pax operations in the charter world they carried out these flights.
During the off season the DC 3 operated for Hunting Surveys doing mapping photography in West Africa ( Days before satellites :) )
The first year was for Skyways who had put a DC3 through the fence in Southend.
Bill formed a separate division to operate the Charter work which then became Autair International Airways
They also operated the scheduled services to the north of England.
It then became Court Line when the company was bought by the shipping group.
Bill still retained an interest up to the end.

carholme
24th Apr 2008, 10:16
Tshirt;

Thank you very much for the update. Frightening how much time goes by.

Regards

carholme

Juliet Sierra Papa
24th Apr 2008, 19:07
GotTheTshirt,

Thanks again for clearing that up :ok:

All the best
JSP

Bristol based Taffy
24th Apr 2008, 19:53
Just a quick thank you to everyone connected to Court line for the fantastic memories as a 'youngster' in the early 70's...doesn't time fly:sad:

I was lucky enough to travel with my parents at the time to such exotic destinations as Rimini and Ibiza on those colourful machines. Despite the arrival and departure times being somewhat 'interesting' i.e. early hours of the morning :\

At that time flight deck visits were actively encouraged and can vividly remember the 1-11's tiny space up front.

Despite not entering the aviation fraternity, I'm now lucky enough to travel extensively, but still look back at those days with fondness.

Thanks again to all :D :D

Jaqui Maschera
22nd May 2008, 09:10
So far I have had 1 booking form and 1 cheque for the reunion from Jon Charley of 'hamster' fame. Sooooo, please get your diary out & start to plan - it will be a very lonely & expensive evening just Ding, Jon & I!!! the e-mail for info is [email protected].:=:=

Crispin Maunder
23rd May 2008, 18:48
Bill sold Autair International Airways to the Court Line Group, but retained the helicopter operations at Luton, running it out of 75 Wigmore Street. Sadly Bill died a some years back, followed by Doreen two years later.

pushycat
4th Jun 2008, 08:28
Hello Crispin,

Any News on the Court website that Jaqui mentioned you are/were setting up?

Irene, (very ex wife )of Cpt Colin Garner and ex hostie Court Line.

Jaqui,

you have my cheque for reunion. Hope you are getting a better response now. See you there and thank you for organising it once again.

T-21
12th Jun 2008, 20:44
I wonder if the Court people also knew the Dan-Air staff at Luton airport ? Has any one also memories of the(pink) Beverley ? Any flight dates much appreciated.

Halcyon Days
13th Jun 2008, 10:12
Yes we did. Court line handled Dan Air flights in the earlier days before Dan set up the base properly.(Comets and 1-11s at that time)
The flying club at Luton was a regular meeting place for all the airline staff and you would tend to have corner for Court Line another corner for Monarch etc but you would inevitably mingle and get to know each other.
The Beverley was never painted pink either. It remained in RAF colours until it was eventually flown out after Court Line collapsed.

T-21
13th Jun 2008, 19:28
My Pop started as a First Officer at Luton on the Dan 1-11,s in 1969. I can remember all the Court line machines , Britannia and Monarch Britannias. Happy days then,the airport has changed dramatically since. i vaguely remember the Beverley parked near McAlpines . I think the plan was to paint it pink ?

Tempsford
15th Jun 2008, 18:30
The Beverly was in RAE colours when it arrived at LTN, was never repainted at LTN and departed LTN in the same colours.

Temps.

fixwing38
16th Jun 2008, 09:10
Hi Crispin "Autair Malta" calling....good to see you are keeping the flag flying... any info on Maurice Rose?? sad about Bill and Doreen... the Christmas cards stopped coming two or three years ago......

philbky
17th Jun 2008, 22:23
April 4th 1971 my wife and I flew Luton to Rome Ciampino on G-AXMG on our honeymoon. Painted in the green scheme the aircraft really stood out when we arrived in Rome.

Sometime in 1995 I was visiting Lasham and an unregistered 1-11 was at FLS in the colours of Nationwide, the South African carrier.

I went on board and looked at the manufacturer's plate which showed it to be XMG!

We returned from Rome on a pink machine G-AXMF, a flight that was memorable due to being buzzed by two USAF F-4 Phantoms over Germany.

Bern Oulli
25th Jun 2008, 16:45
I'm sure I've posted this before but "Search" revealed nothing so here goes:
http://meddemmen.co.uk/oddphotos/A124.jpg

glhcarl
25th Jun 2008, 20:48
One of my many L-1011 stories:

I was working on the production line as a leadman on the leading edge slat crew. We were prepairing to hang the slats on the second Air Canada (AC) Tristar, when one of the AC inspectors found a repair on the number 3 left hand outboard slat. It was a small 4" square, flush patch on the upper skin, the repair had been accomplished at the vendor and approved by Lockheed. But AC did not want it.

One of the design engineers out of Burbank that worked with on the leading edge of the wing happen to be British, when we explained our problem to him, he had us take the slat off the Court Line aircraft that was just ahead of the Air Canada plane on the production line and put it on the Air Canada plane. We then installed the patched slat on the Court Line plane. I asked what if Court Line complain and he said "I speak their language and can I talk them into anything". We did the swap and never heard another word.

Jaqui Maschera
14th Jul 2008, 10:48
Just to keep you up-dated, there are now 13 revellers intent on making merry in Harpenden! Only need another 72 to fill the room :ugh:

verticalhold
17th Jul 2008, 16:42
Bern Oulli;

That picture shows what was until recently the Harrods FBO ramp with Charlie taxiway behind it. The Silverjet B767s are currently parked there awaiting disposal after the failure of yet another bloody good, but underfunded airline.

VH

LGS6753
18th Jul 2008, 18:29
Sorry, Vertical.

The picture is NOT Luton. There's just too much open space!! My guess is Hurn, where the One-Elevens were built, and where I think some of them went after Court Line ceased operating.

LTNman
20th Jul 2008, 06:30
Definitely not Luton and I don’t think it is Hurn either. Looks like Stansted to me so I would say they are fog diversions. I can also see a Court logoed Land Rover next to one of the 1-11's

WHBM
20th Jul 2008, 12:31
I have seen this picture before of the three One-Elevens (maybe in a book) and recall it captioned as being at Stansted, in which case it's looking north at the old ramp on the west side of the runway. A good photo for publication as it's one of each colour in the fleet. Knowing that Court didn't really operate out of there I thought they must be Luton diversions. It's a misty day in the photograph.

Golf Charlie Charlie
20th Jul 2008, 23:44
Definitely Stansted. As WHBM describes.

Silvershadow
21st Jul 2008, 21:39
My wife (ex Court Line hostie) reckons it was during 1972 when for some time the Luton runway was closed at night for repairs. Pax and crews had to be coached across to Stansted for the morning flights.

atb1943
26th Jul 2008, 13:41
Jaqui,

I have a postal address for Geoff Davey (Navigation) if it's of any interest. Geoff moved to Frankfurt with his family, and on retirement built a house up a mountain near Malaga. Haven't heard from him for a couple of years. Not sure he's on email.

Be happy to pass on details of the event.

brgds
atb

Jaqui Maschera
2nd Aug 2008, 17:22
ATB

If you think that Geoff would like to make the journey -- please send me his address and I will post (you can still do that;I am told) an invite. My email is [email protected]. Many thanks.

poprivet
4th Aug 2008, 02:11
I was there.Isigned out preflight prior to accident. defuelled A/c on rwy lots of foam about.Have pictures i took in hangar next day of damage. partook in engine runs on Beverley.A/C was G-AXMG [green]. hello N. Hirst its Timmo.:ok:

kala87
5th Aug 2008, 12:14
I remember a night flight in a very cramped seat in one of Court's green 1-11's from LTN to Athens. Due to favourable tailwinds, we overflew the planned fuel stop in Brindisi and continued to Athens. Too long a sector in a 1-11, there's only so long you can put up with a puce-green painted cabin without feeling nauseous! The return flight was in a BEA Airtours 707 to LGW, newly-acquired from BOAC, very comfortable and stately compared to the 1-11.

Court must have got extremely good utilisation out of the 1-11's. I remember in the peak summer season they had 4 waves of flights, each departing LTN at around 0800, 1400, 2000 and 0200. This was possible as most flights in those days were to the closer Spanish and Italian airports (Palma, Ibiza, Barcelona, Gerona, Rimini etc). As a previous respondent noted, there would 4 or so departures to Palma or Gerona ta around the same time, one after the other. Living in north Harpenden at the time, the night departures by the noisy 1-11's certainly rattled the window panes! Not my favourite aircraft to fly in I'm afraid, and they always seemed a bit underpowered to me, often using most of the LTN runway on departure on a warm day.

Crispin Maunder
13th Aug 2008, 22:44
Apologies- dropped out of the loop for some months now - but just seen yours. Sadly Maurice also died some years back, he was looking very wobbly at Bill and Doreen's Golden Wedding party some 6-7 years ago, and he died a year or so afterwards. Sorry to be bearer of bad tidings.

fixwing38
30th Aug 2008, 21:11
Hi Crispin I have some pics of Maurice at Don Muang Airport Bangkok in 1987..We were stripping Thai Police Air Wing and Thai Navy C47s of all the "useful bits" and he joined us for a few days...that's the last time I saw him ..regrettably....rgds Peter

Jaqui Maschera
9th Sep 2008, 15:58
Alin, will you please e-mail your Mummy.:confused:

PanzerJohn
9th Sep 2008, 20:14
One of, if not my first, flight was with CL. It was a school skiing trip to Austria,circa 1972/3. We flew to Munich, first time I ever saw police with guns. I remember being very impressed with the paintjob, the plane had a name,Halcyon Days or Skies I think.

WHBM
9th Sep 2008, 22:12
I put this in another PPRuNe thread a few years ago, but it possibly will be of interest here as well :

Well here, courtesy of Tony Merton-Jones' book mentioned above, is the Court Line fleet, with names and colours, for those old enough to remember a more colourful era. Court Line started in January 1970 and pretty much replaced the old Autair fleet on day one. They went out of business in August 1974.

Type____________Reg____Name___________In____Out_______Colour

One Eleven 400__G-AWBL Halcyon Dawn___Jan70 Jan71_____Turquoise
One Eleven 500__G-AXMF Halcyon Breeze Jan70 Aug74_____Pink
________________G-AXMG Halcyon Sky____Jan70 Aug74_____Turquoise
________________G-AXMH Halcyon Sun____Feb70 Aug74_____Orange
________________G-AXMI Halcyon Days___Mar70 Aug74_____Pink
________________G-AXMJ Halcyon Night__Mar70 Aug74_____Turquoise
________________G-AXMK Halcyon Star___Apr70 Aug74_____Turquoise later Orange
________________G-AXML Halcyon Cloud__Apr70 Aug74_____Pink
________________G-AYOP Halcyon Beach__Mar71 Feb73_____Orange
________________G-AYOR Halcyon Dawn___Mar71 Aug74_____Orange
________________G-AZEB Halcyon Bay____Sep71 Aug74_____Lilac
________________G-AZEC Halcyon Cove___Sep71 Aug74_____Lilac
________________G-BCCV Halcyon Beach__Apr74 Aug74_____Lilac
________________G-AYXB Halcyon Bay____71 lease from Austral
________________G-AXLN________________72-73 lease from BMA
________________G-AXLM________________73-74 lease from BMA
Tristar_________G-BAAA Halcyon Days___Mar73 Aug74_____Orange
________________G-BAAB Halcyon Breeze May73 Aug74_____Pink

HS125___________G-AVRG Halcyon Day____Nov71 Aug74_____Orange
Navajo__________G-AYEI________________Jun70 Nov72_____Orange
Jet Ranger______G-AXMM________________Jan70 Aug74_____Orange

Jaqui Maschera
16th Sep 2008, 08:16
On March 1st you said that you had missed a couple of the reunions. Are you going to be able to join us this year: well actually next month! How time romps by!:rolleyes:

GotTheTshirt
16th Sep 2008, 10:01
WHBM

There were actually only 3 colours
Each aircraft had three shades of the colour from dark at the bottom to light at the top.

The whole point of the colour change was to make the airline have a holiday image instead of the normal airline white with a blue stripe !!

The Red/Pink represented the sunrise getting light towards the sky.
The orange was the sandy beach
And the blue was the sea.

The whole scheme was designed by a Peter Murdoch Associates who used to turn up for meetings in a psycedelic painted mini and they wore full length fur coats.
In those days this caused a few raised eybrows in Hurn !!

22/04
16th Sep 2008, 12:11
Nope 4 colours.

The other came in in 1972, I think and was lilac. G-AZEB, G-AZEC and the returned LIAT G-BCCV, which also served with LIAT in lilac. Don't know what it was meant to represent though

Some strange cheat lines on leased aircraft as well; G-AYXB ('71 orange and red) and G-AXLM/N (green)

CLdave
17th Oct 2008, 09:39
anyone care to report how the reunion went ?

FlyingOfficerKite
19th Oct 2008, 11:56
This Thread brings back memories!

My first flight in a jet in 1970 - we flew from Luton to Rimini in G-AXMH for a cruise around the Med.

A couple of years later flew again in G-BAAA from Luton to Pisa for a holiday in Elba.

My father made cine films of both trips, including footage on board during the flights.

Halcyon Days indeed!

FOK :)

VC10Conway
20th Oct 2008, 17:17
Now that's something I'd like to watch on YouTube.

Jaqui Maschera
28th Oct 2008, 11:14
The reunion went very well. The weather was glorious, those that had arrived on the Friday were sitting outside -- with a glass or 2 -- welcoming the Saturday night guests as they came, several only just made their rooms in time to change for dinner! The evening was great everyone got to talk & reminisce. Jimmy Webb thought it was a bit quiet; no-one disgraced themselves, but I did remind him we are all 'just a touch older'.
Crispin, after a few glasses of wine, gave a speech & read out messages from those who could not be there. It was then put to the vote if we should hold one every year, the answer was a very resounding YES. I am afraid as always the numbers were lower than I had signed the contract for, the hotel did help out a bit. Crispin had a few copies of 'Colours in the Sky' which he auctioned on the night to add to the kitty:).
So, everyone has pledged to source 'lost' Courtlin/Autair hands for the next one. We are looking at October 2010, as soon as I confirm the date with the Harpenden House Hotel I will broadcast it. We hope to see you all.

PS someone; whose name I can not remember was asking about a copy of 'Colours' as far as I know Crispin Maunder has a copy to sell

tonytech2
29th Oct 2008, 01:17
I was with Eastern Air Lines and at Lockheed's Palmdale factory in late 1971 and at Rye Canyon where they did the static testing. I saw them experimenting with an incredible set of airstairs, allegedly for Court Line. They were mechanically stowed in the C2 cargo hold. They swung out on an operating arm and then went through the most amazing set of gyrations to unfold and reach up to the R3 pax door and down to the tarmac. It certainly looked flimsy for the service intended and I wonder if they ever went into service?
PSA came up with a better way on their aircraft with a lower deck Pax entrance door on the port side and relatively short airstairs into what would be the C1 cargo hold. They had seating down there and a staircase up to the main deck. A lot better than the original folding monstrosity intended for the Court Line aircraft but it did block out any freight/baggage from the C1 bins.
I did see the Court Line aircraft at KJFK on their sad return to Lockheed.
If they had the airstairs then, they didn't use them so wonder if they were ever used at Courtline?

talk_shy_tall_knight
31st Oct 2008, 15:07
At the age of 11 (1972), the first time I ever flew was with Court Line. My dad worked for Southend United who were promoted from the old Div 4 to Div 3. As a reward we were all flown to Spain for a week's package in Salou. I think we flew in Halcyon Days. We flew to Reus? My brother and I were fascinated with everything about the aircraft and I thing we were given some kind of sticker book or magazine with pictures all the 'Halcyons' (No, haven't a clue before you ask). Though I didn't really get it at the time, some of the younger players were less than complimentary about the 'pink plane!' and appeared to enjoy a more comprehensive service from the FAs. I've just remembered, one player sitting directly in front of me, was probably irritated by my boyish "what's this?, what does that do?" when I innocently asked what he was drinking, he casually passed it back saying it was coke. Seems like 11 year-olds, light turbulence and drambuie don't mix.:yuk:

ding sadler
1st Nov 2008, 17:01
:O Hi. the reunion went very well, a bit short on numbers but everyone had a good time, and have elected to hold one again next year. It was great to see everyone and reminise about the good old days. Hope to see you next year. Ding

Opssys
2nd Nov 2008, 01:26
There were no Airstairs fitted to either Tristar when they operated out of Gatwick and as Court Line attempted to save every kilo of weight for Payload/Range I am not surprised as the system as described sounds very 'clunky' and more importantly heavy.

UFGBOY
2nd Nov 2008, 11:11
Pete Barraclough; Catering/Cabin Services

Dave Jenkins; Captain.. Dan Air then EAAC?

oldandbald
9th Nov 2008, 11:25
I may be wrong and it is a while ago now but I recall that the Tristars had an internal baggage loading belt that could be deployed at destinations that were not prepared for such a large aircraft at the time?

I also remember that initially the turning circles at each end of Luton's runway were only about 50 m across so our Borough Engineers invented a row of pegs set in the grass so the crew knew when to make the turn, the cockpit being over the grass when the turn was made.

Fond memories of controlling two Tristars training in the visual circuit....

JB

GotTheTshirt
13th Nov 2008, 07:12
Tony,
Bear in mind that CL were going to operate into airport as the first wide body charter aircraft so GSE was always a concern as well as runway strength.
So the airstairs were requested from Lockheed and magnificent they were !!:eek:

They were developed and tested at Rye Canyon and later on the aircraft. I have some pics somewhere !!
With the RR collapse the aircraft was delayed for over a year so the problem re aiports became less acute.
They were not used in service and I dont know what happened to them.:)

Olde,
Basic airline Tristar had a container baggae loading system in C1 and C2 ( C3 was bulk).
Because of the logistics problem - lots of destinations that did not have container facilities CL had no loading systems but was bulk loaded. As in fact also was LTU

411A
13th Nov 2008, 10:46
As in fact also was LTU

As are many others, presently.
Cheap ground handling labor works wonders....:}

tonytech2
15th Nov 2008, 22:59
Tshirt
Thanks for the info on the airstairs. I knew they were intended for charter work to off-line destinations. They were pretty terrifying though and I really think, considering all the troubles with other airstairs I dealt with, would have been pretty unreliable. They had to be the longest I ever saw. I think the previous record would have been the ones on the Vanguard which were pretty stalky in their own right.

flybywire2
22nd Dec 2008, 09:18
we flew back on the last flight to the uk from marjorca the plane was seized when we got off at Luton, got some nice pics of it

cheers

Mike

flybywire2
22nd Dec 2008, 09:20
nope they used normal stairs , flew on last one back to uk

cheers

Mike

flybywire2
22nd Dec 2008, 10:03
a pic of the stairs for the last flight to uk for halycon breeze from Majorca

http://img4011.photobox.co.uk/01843329a90d66286fc05ba2565b6736c926f486210f8c85eba84dd98616 1299bb8e0dff.jpg

http://img4011.photobox.co.uk/85184237d17880afe19bd5c361fa769c0021e96dbdf7d5b3cf53cc03a0b4 ab3fecd06b66.jpg

flybywire2
22nd Dec 2008, 10:09
leaving Luton for majorca
http://img4011.photobox.co.uk/26120091a5445670f68debe9618e08b1eaeb0458ac63534f735b766b500b 9ff94c31def7.jpg

flybywire2
22nd Dec 2008, 10:16
a wet Luton view from arrivals when we returned on the last flight

http://img3012.photobox.co.uk/4670433996df062a22722d1510c705b5c158e7377fb79931017215af01e4 fa37445db3c4.jpg
cheers

Mike

flybywire2
22nd Dec 2008, 10:31
It also led to the first run on a Building Society - Northern Rock wasn't the first :hmm: The Derbyshire Building Society nearly collapsed as rumour hit Derby that it was going to go under like RR. Not many knew that as the huge queue of people drew their money out ( pre internet !!) van loads of cash were arriving at the back door from other societies.

cheers

Mike

flybywire2
23rd Dec 2008, 10:30
i give up , used to like photobucket but not now :confused: the album is public so should work

GAZIN
27th Dec 2008, 22:08
Nice pictures Flybywire2, such a shame the airline failed.
Apparently maintenance were preparing to send an engine change crew out to one of the Tristars on that last day, but the job was cancelled at the last minute in order to get the aircraft back.

flybywire2
30th Dec 2008, 17:21
perhaps this works
http://img3014.photobox.co.uk/59473127874f59bd2da35724c18e2efcadb9b85d465544691c4bc03cf186 ed3ce2585a36.jpg

well i can see it i wonder for how long will try the others

http://img3014.photobox.co.uk/524579599a751832760bc664cc95e63fc9a040db8e328917f108e69dae25 a462ffa1d268.jpg

http://img3014.photobox.co.uk/16815763a39df89e0a4efdc0f5cac998f1d5c7b63fdedea8655e87133788 dfcfaef82931.jpg

http://img3014.photobox.co.uk/25878077c8b00404b48264f663da0d8ffa3a6aef7e67382a8ce7f1206964 6be376990b16.jpg

http://img3014.photobox.co.uk/95123161657e4a8ef5f932ade4814f40853529c8de6ead6d2876ba102684 6b5376c1a1cd.jpg

HZ123
31st Dec 2008, 12:57
Here at BA I doubt we have ever managed three sets of covered stairs, 1 is usually applauded. Always fond of the colour schemes. Manifested years later and some with Liat I believe?

oldandbald
31st Dec 2008, 13:51
And if you look carefully in the background of the first photo you can see the Blackburn Beverley mentioned in previous posts purchased to transport spares, including an engine but never used for such. As far as I remember carried out at least one training detail before that enterprise was abandoned.

ATR42300
31st Dec 2008, 14:26
Can anyone please advise where I might obtain a copy of "Colours in the Sky" I have been searching for along time to no avail.

If anyone can assist please PM me.

Many thanks

Level bust
31st Dec 2008, 15:26
The covered stairs were inherited by Luton Airport once Court Line went bust.

I think it was in the late 70s or early 80s when one set was driving round the apron in winds gusting up to 60kts. It come round the corner by Stand 9 where it got blown over, with the driver leaping out before it toppled over!

Jaqui Maschera
3rd Jan 2009, 07:27
I may have tracked down a copy of the book for you. I will post on here a contact name; unless you can email me?:)

ATR42300
3rd Jan 2009, 18:34
Jaqui

Many thanks for your help, please check your PMs

VC10Conway
5th Jan 2009, 12:30
I've been looking for that book for years too, any clues as to where else I could try would be appreciated.

HZ123
5th Jan 2009, 13:54
Can someone put a link into the Tristar that returned after the company had gone broke with the Flight Crew involved taking the aircraft after it had been impounded. I remember it made the national papers. Thanks (It is probabaly a very different story from that I recall?)

Halcyon Days
5th Jan 2009, 14:44
The aircraft had tech (fuel) stopped in Canada (Gander/Halifax?-cant remember now which one ) on its way back from the Caribbean and was not impounded.
The crew were advised though by Luton ops that the company would be going bust at midnight. The Captain (Pete Hogg) elected to continue in order to get the passengers and crew home-without stranding them. They also wanted to depart before the Canadian authorities heard of the companies collapse and did impound the aircraft.
It was an emotional return to Luton-the following morning with a large number of company personnel there waiting for its return.
Technically though the decision was questionable as it was argued that once the AOC was suspended at midnight-the insurance was also likely to be invalid. (never found out if that was in fact the case though?)
The aircraft was flying through the midnight period and landed back the morning after.

Jaqui Maschera
17th Jan 2009, 08:47
:rolleyes:I will check for you if there are any left.

Jaqui

Jaqui Maschera
17th Jan 2009, 08:57
I was on the last flight & it was Gander we stopped. The ride to the airport was a very cold journey, as we only had our summer clothes. + we did not dare give mention what had happened and that we were about to abscond!

VC10Conway
18th Jan 2009, 09:59
Thanks Jaqui, would be great if you could help.

The AvgasDinosaur
21st Jan 2009, 20:47
I have the e contact details for the author/ publisher. If anyone is still after this book. Please PM me to avoid the advertisement police.
Be lucky
David

learjet50
21st Jan 2009, 21:13
Hi

Can you tell ne if BUDGE Wells was ever at Court Line in the Early days ??

I knew he finished up with the MON

Tks

Halcyon Days
22nd Jan 2009, 08:45
Yes he was.

Opssys
22nd Jan 2009, 15:11
A Couple of Pictures by Caz Caswell (with his permission):
G-AZEB One-Eleven 518FG of Court Line Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy on 11 June 1972 :

http://www.airpixbycaz.co.uk/cazsite/galleries/airliners/bac1-11/11103-gazeb.jpg

G-BAAA Lockheed L1011 of Court Line
London Gatwick - February 1974
http://www.airpixbycaz.co.uk/cazsite/galleries/airlines/balp/gbu11-gbaaa.jpg

Invicta DC4
22nd Jan 2009, 17:35
First ever jet flight was on Court Line in 1970 BHX - IBZ - BHX on B111. Remember the meals in the back of the seat well!

Also flew on the Tristar in 1973 on a day trip to the Paris Air Show from LTN organised by Ian Allan (Aircraft Illustrated). Aircraft was used for a demonstration flight during the day at Le Bourget and as part of the airshow. I recall on the flight back to LTN in the evening, a number of the FAs were unwell. I assumed at that this was due to the earlier demonstration flights where the Tristar (G-BAAA) was put through its paces.

Also recall that this aircraft had a number stencilled just aft of the flight deck windows indicating that it was part of the airshow.

Opssys
22nd Jan 2009, 23:58
In another place, I wrote some notes on Court Line, but one of the two areas I got a 'little nasty' was on the subject of Seat Back Catering:

There is one aspect of Court Line's 1-11 Operation which even today causes irritation to those who had to Dispatch/Cater/Cabin Crew them. Let alone bringing a twinge in the knees and the suppressed memory of the slightly stale roll outbound and the missing roll inbound , in the minds of former passengers.
I am referring to the worst passenger configuration ever implemented on the BAC 1-11, the 119Y with Seat Back Catering (normally 114Y was considered the maximum charter configuration for a 1-11 500 Series).
Whilst I understand why Court Line dreamed it up, with such low yields per passenger, seat maximization was vital. However it was a violation of the Human Rights of anyone taller than 5ft 10 inches. Plus it meant that the 'food' was beyond any jokes made about Airline Catering before, or since!
If soemone in this fourm feels able to mount a 'non-economic' defence of seat back catering, I will rush out and buy a stale ham roll and eat it.

Level bust
23rd Jan 2009, 08:58
My friend and I also went to the Paris air show in 1973.

I remember we were delayed for 2 hours due to slots into Le Bourget.

They initially kept us all on the a/c, but they eventually let us out and allowed us onto the apron next to the Tristar. I think they got fed up of all 400 of us getting up and running to one side of the a/c every time something taxied past!

oldbalboy
15th Feb 2009, 18:07
Just found this about the rebranding of Autair into Courtline Design 1970 Journal - VADS: the online resource for visual arts (http://vads.ahds.ac.uk/diad/article.php?year=1970&title=255&article=d.255.27)

My one and only family holiday when we flew was over new year 70/71 from LTN to ALC pink 1-11 and i was a very excited 14 year old in seat 119 !! my cousin who was sat next to me and a few years older took the oppertunity to try and chat up the hostie on the pull out jumpseat next to us and i think her name was Lulu?? but he didn't get far!! due to heavy snow our return was delayed by nearly 48 hours, i loved the Courtline experience and spent all my holiday money on a grown up 'Limit' watch which i had for years!! I loved the fact the flying was colourfull and fun!! loved the idea of the seat back catering even though it was rather stale on the delayed flight home!! really wanted to work for them but sadly gone before i was old enough and went to Britannia in 81, still see Rick Hocking who was an f/o on 1-11 and Chris Short who was on the Tristar

compton3bravo
15th Feb 2009, 18:59
If my memory serves me correctly he used to fly the HS.125 G-AVRG at Court Line and started at Monarch in the spring of 1975 flying the BAC 1-11 and remained with Monarch until retiring a few years ago.

Kizz
23rd Feb 2009, 06:50
Great thread on the first airline I flew with!

As a kid my parents migrated to Australia and we flew court Line from Gatwick to Singapore around May 1974 on a service called Jet/Ship operated in Conjunction with Chandris Lines. I imagine it was one of the more 'exotic' routes flown by CL back then.

Seems a bit odd for Court Line to get involved in this venture, does anyone remember/have info on this?
I vaguely recall us getting stuck in Dubai for a while, sitting on the hot tarmac and someone saying the airline was in trouble and may not be able to pay for the fuel?

Loved seeing photos of G-BAAA, the aircraft I flew on still holds a special place in my childhood memories, would love to see interior pics of her. Was G-BAAB also used on this route?

courtlineman
19th Mar 2009, 19:04
:ok: Hello Everyone,...

I am a new addition to this site and would like to hear from anyone who wants a chat or if I can help with anything at all....
I joined Court Line in 1970, just as it was chaning from Autair International as the new 'Post Boy' and worked through departments to the end in 1974 when I went in one morning to find we had gone!
The areas I worked in were Admin, Operations (Load Control 1-11+L1011 loadsheets) Baggage Facilities, and PSU, all at LTN.
For sometime now I have wanted to share my 'Court Line' life..... so, I have started my own web site www.airobilia.co.uk (http://www.airobilia.co.uk) which is 90% dedicated to Court Line. I have published a 'Picture' book on Court Line and Luton Airport (1969-1974) and have Posters, Prints, Post Cards, Mouse Mats etc - all with Court/Autair and airlines of past such as Dan-Air, BCAL, BUA, Britannia, Monarch (still going of course) to mention a few....
Everything is also for sale on ebay under 'Courtlineman' of course......
This is not an advertising plug - I would love to speak to anyone who wants to contact me - I have some excellent photos, all taken by myself of Court Aircraft, Crews, Stewardesses, Ground (PSU) staff.....
Look forward to hearing from anyone - [email protected]

Graham Alexander
(ex Graham Pratt - name changed - no prizes why!!)

GotTheTshirt
22nd Mar 2009, 16:50
Well a vist to the attic located some pics of the Court Line1011 airstairs. The ultimate in Monkey motion!!:)

Sorry, despite several readings of BOAC's instructions I was not able to actually dislay them however they are all here :

Pictures by tristar1011 - Photobucket (http://s643.photobucket.com/albums/uu156/tristar1011/)

It shows the whole sequence!
:ok:

Jaqui Maschera
23rd Aug 2009, 07:48
I would like to contact Pete Hogg. Anyone have his current address?:confused:

brakedwell
23rd Aug 2009, 09:41
The last news I heard of Peter was that he had a pub in the West Country

Jaqui Maschera
27th Aug 2009, 16:21
Thanks for the info Brakedwell. A pub in the West Country narrows it down a bit! Any other offers?

Pauline Ward
13th Oct 2009, 21:42
Hi Jaqui,

I was kindly sent an invitation to the 'Courtline Reunion' in Harpenden, on the 31st October. At the time it was sent I was going to be away, things have since changed and I would very much like to come.

I worked on the ground for Autair, and there after for Courtline. At the time of the company going into administration I was the Chief ground girl.
Very sad day!!

If it is not too late, which I hope it is not, I would like to book 2 places - 1 for myself ( maiden name Playford) and Angie Dow who was a stuardess with Autair and Courtline. If we are able to join the party we will only be with you for the meal as Angie lives in Harpenden.

Look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Pauline

Jaqui Maschera
26th Oct 2009, 17:06
Dear Pauline

We have received your's and Angies payment and very much look forward to seeing you at the weekend.

Regards,

Jaqui

captain.speaking
29th Oct 2009, 11:27
Jaqui

Please check your P.M's.

Thanks.

RW

Jaqui Maschera
23rd Nov 2009, 15:07
After a few timorous moments we went ahead this year. Our final numbers were 58 with 20 'sorrys' for not being able to make it.
2010 is booked for Saturday 18th September ~~ so put that in your diary! When we have the 2010 prices etc they will be broadcast along with the booking details. I hope to see you next year.:rolleyes:

oldbalboy
11th Dec 2009, 11:57
There is a colourfull article about Courtline in the current (januaryissue) of Airliner World magazine!

VC10Conway
11th Dec 2009, 12:15
Indeed and an interesting read it is too. AV200 have also recently released 1:200 scale models of the BAC 1-11 500 fleet in all four colour versions.

lynne philpot
24th Dec 2009, 14:35
My father was the pilot of the above a/c when it crashed, killing him and his co-pilot. This happened on 23-12-1967. His name was Harold Gainsford Dryhurst. During t/o, a simulated engine stall was initiated, the a/c lost height, and crashed. I have very little imformation other than the above. If anyone has further knowledge of the incident, or my father, i would be very pleased to hear from them.

OUAQUKGF Ops
27th Dec 2009, 13:30
Lynne I shall attempt to send you a P.M. in the next hour or so. Tom.

lynne philpot
27th Dec 2009, 23:37
Tom, i will be very gratefull 4 any help, &/or imformation. LYNNE.

OUAQUKGF Ops
28th Dec 2009, 07:46
Dear lynne I am not good at this computer stuff but if you go to the welcome logo at the top right hand side of the pprune page and click on private messages you should be able to read my messages- that is er if I've been capable of sending them. Mustn't get off the thread so Autair International a fine outfit never felt like a Court Line type so oh dear a sad day when we had to answer the phone saying "Court Line Ops".

Halcyon Days
28th Dec 2009, 10:34
Thats because you didnt stay around long enough after the name change to feel part of it.
If you had you would have been proud to have worked for them.

OUAQUKGF Ops
28th Dec 2009, 12:48
Yes I was always quite pleased to be ahead of the game in leaving companies before they went bust or were gobbled up by larger outfits. I always thought that the day a carpet was laid on the Ops Room floor was the day to start looking for another job. Cheers.

lynne philpot
28th Dec 2009, 14:00
Did you know my father Captain Harry Dryhurst he was killed at luton airport in 1967 Lynne

lynne philpot
28th Dec 2009, 14:22
Tom have left you a private message lynne

OUAQUKGF Ops
28th Dec 2009, 16:25
It was quite simple - gazing out from the ops office window at all those gaily coloured aeroplanes on the ramp made me feel quite queasy. Frankly, and I hope confidentially, I can tell you that quite simply they reminded me of rather exotic iced cakes, not Lyons Corner House you understand but more Fortnum and Mason. Alas it was at the latter that my Great Aunt (whom I shan't name) would take me to tea every Friday afternoon having before-hand administered to me my weekly strapping. Here she would ply me with sickly fare in an attempt to keep my mouth shut (difficult when eating cake).
Thus I was still emotionally scarred (and grossly overweight) a year or two later when I presented myself for an interview with Captain Maurice Rowan for the position of Ops assistant/teaboy at the beginning of 1966.
"Well any questions Young Man?" the Boss glanced out at the fog which was enveloping the airfield and frowned.
"Yes Sir. Does the Company envisage any change to its present livery?"
One would like to say that this question was met by thunderstruck silence, but a Viking was running up outside the hangar.
"Good Lord No Old Boy! We leave that sort of thing to Braniff."

Happy New Year to you all!

lynne philpot
1st Jan 2010, 05:46
Happy New YEAR TO ALL AIR CREW AND GROUND STAFF FROM LYNNE HARRYS DAUGHTER

lynne philpot
1st Jan 2010, 06:47
If you find Peters address or Email my father Harry Dryhurst was great friends of his in Trinidad and i would love to contact him lynne

Gibair
10th Jan 2010, 15:15
Can anyone fill this 51yo in with some information please?
I was a 14yo on his first trip abroad in 1973 from Luton to Ibiza. Flew out on the orange Tristar, Halcyon Days, due to fly back on the pink Halcayon Breeze. Take-off was aborted rather dramatically (or so it seemed to those on board). Aircraft could not take off due to tech issues and we were taken back next day on a number of smaller aircraft, me on a Caravelle, others on 1-11's.
Don't know any proper details of this incident, but as you can imagine for a 14yo, it was very exciting, and of course back at school as the story was re-counted it became a near death from which all of us were lucky to survive!:)
Anyway, what I do remember is being in row 4 or 5, but having to evacuate by the rear doors as the fire service surrounded the aircraft. Then being stuck in the terminal bldg for 24+ hours waiting on a replacement aircraft.:{
Anyone with good info on this will help replace schoolboy dramatic memories with some facts.
Many thanks

Jaqui Maschera
15th Feb 2010, 08:01
Well folks this years reunion is on Saturday 18th September. Ding will send out an email to those on our data base within the next 10 days. After low numbers in 2009 we are hoping to hit 60+ this year. It will be confirmed in the email but we are looking at £30.00 per person for the evening and £55.00 for B/B. Hope to see you there.:rolleyes:
NB To add to this it is all set for the 18th September Ding has sent out the first reminder; quickly followed by another with the correct date!!!!
Saturday 18th September 2010 it is and I got my first cheque today from Jon Charley ~~ the good old 'Hamsters'

JEM60
15th Feb 2010, 08:42
Ah. Court Line. Departed Luton in a pink 111 on my honeymoon.

GotTheTshirt
15th Feb 2010, 13:29
Gibair.

The aicraft suffered a tyre busrt at V1:uhoh:

The crew heard and felt the bang so aborted.
During the Hi Speed rejection 5 of the other 7 tyres burst ( same union I guess:})
We got the call at Luton and two immediate problems - The Palma El Commandante was screaming for us to get the aircraft off the runway and second how the hell to move 400 pax in the season
Well pulled 3 BAC 1-11's off the line and removed all the seats from one and put them into the other two and they winged off their merry way. The empty aircraft we loaded with wheels, jacks and tooling and set off in hot pursuit.
As the L1011 was at one end of the runway they were still using the remaining length so after we landed we put the seats into the 3rd BAC and then set to retrieving the L1011. Quite a night !!:rolleyes:

Ron-lake
11th Mar 2010, 15:47
good day all ex courtline members, I worked at Luton from 1969 until the end in 1974. It was a sad day for us all, I was retained by the receiver and had the sorry task of sorting the assets out and covering the sale in the hangar. I would like to know more about the reunions as I would like to contact old friends in engineering if any are still around. Some of the hangar shift I know went to work for Brit's and some I believe for Monach if any are still in touch I would like to here from you. I have a copy of "Colours in the Sky" and that brings back memories for me also a lot of my own photographs. Thats all for the present good luck.

loveofcourtline
16th Mar 2010, 15:04
I remember them so well. I was due to fly out of Luton with my family 12 hours after it crashed.:{ I had travel with courtline before and they were great. Great aircraft, great people, and wow what a livery. It started my love for airports and people who work at them. I worked as a PSA at Sanstead and Gatwick.:ok: But for what I see now the fun has gone out of it. And it is all down to monies. Were did it go so wrong?
At that point I like to say thank you to all the staff and people behind the scenes that you never see. As you made my childhood full of good memories and that one day I be one of you, which I did. Only wished it would have been courtline I worked for.
As to the livery it wouldn’t be out on place today. Pity you guys don’t get together and start it again. Wow wouldn’t that be great.:D:D
Roy

Gibair
16th Mar 2010, 21:54
GotTheTShirt - thanks for the comprehensive reply, really appreciate it - 6 of 7 tyres bursting was exciting!

Jaqui Maschera
20th Apr 2010, 10:43
Roy, what a lovely epitaph to Court Line. Some where along the line the airline industry lost its sense of fun! I can always recall pre-take off asking the captain the flight time and what he would like as a landing drink,all in the same breath! Now, that would be very politically incorrect + he is probably a temperance society vegan (sorry vegans!). We had the best days for sure.

Jaqui Maschera
20th Apr 2010, 10:49
:ok: Ron If you would like to email me; via Prune I will add you to our database for the reunions. Next one is 18th September in Harpenden.

BossDHogg
24th Apr 2010, 10:08
Jaqui

I did send you a private message via the forum with reference to father Captain Peter Hogg. Please confirm you recieved it. Dave

Jaqui Maschera
10th Jul 2010, 07:21
Thanks Dave I have been in contact with Pete; so all is well. Again many ta's
Jaqui:ok:

zayerman
14th Aug 2010, 15:15
Hello,
I've read with great interest all the posts on this site and it's brought back a lot of memories of flying with Court Line as a young lad. I've never really had anything to post onto the site until now, as I've found some footage of the Halcyon Days Tristar on the internet and wondered if any of you had seen it.
Its an unused news report by John Stapleton about the over crowding of passengers at Luton Airport. During the footage there are many interviews with Airport staff / management and glimpses of Court Line employees whom I wondered if any of you recognise. The best bit comes right at the end when you see passengers boarding the Tristar and then seeing it roaring down the runway, taking off in the easterly direction.

It's all on the British Pathe historical archive site.

(LUTON AIRPORT) - British Pathe (http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=74031)

Hope the link works for you. :ok:

Jaqui Maschera
21st Aug 2010, 16:23
The 2010 reunion is next month - 18th September. Just to remind you all who have not been in touch :=:=:=:=

Jaqui Maschera
3rd Sep 2010, 13:29
Has anyone heard the where abouts of Alan Evans? Ex LIAT and contract work for Monarch a few years back.

captain.speaking
7th Sep 2010, 14:44
Jaqui

Please check your private messages. Thanks.

Richard.

GotTheTshirt
13th Oct 2010, 19:19
BossDHogg,
Please check your messages

Thanks

johnisnone
15th Oct 2010, 11:16
help wanted in finding news of a few people from my days at Autair/Court line
1. Capt. Kurt Lang always carried a camera great guy
2. Capt Elizabeth Overbury a good friend for many a year
3.Fred Koso
and anyone else that remembers me
joined in feb 67 spent some great years there at Luton in the hangar then
on the line John Mcculloch e-mail [email protected]
now living in Inverness and missing all the reunions:ok::ok:

bnislander
24th Oct 2010, 13:56
Hello John, I've just joined, I'm ex Court Line from 1969/70 and would like to know what happened Fred Kozo, I knew him not only at CL but LIAT and Gulf air too. Also remember Elizabeth when she was flying BAC 1-11 in Antigua.

Cheers, Nick

OUAQUKGF Ops
26th Oct 2010, 16:56
Sending you a short PM. I believe Elizabeth Overbury has passed away. Last saw Kurt Lang at Colours in The Sky book launch at LTN years ago. His wonderful photograph of G-ALZZ in the snow outside the hangar is treasured by me and hangs in our loo. Cheers Tom.

paul birkenshaw
18th Nov 2010, 18:08
Just seen the site after all these years, joined Autair with Charles King 1966 Then to Court line up to 1974 van you kep me informed re reunion, Best Wishes to all ex Court Line staff out there.:D

Jaqui Maschera
26th Nov 2010, 12:32
I have just signed the contract for next years reunion ~~ so get saving!!
Saturday 17th September 2011 ~~ Ding will email out a bit later to all those that we have on the data base. If you have never been in contact and were a bona fide ex Aut/Courtline reprobate, please make contact via PRUNE. We would love to see you.

(PS mines a vodka & tonic) :)

paul birkenshaw
8th Dec 2010, 09:45
Jaqui, please can you keep me advised re the 2011 reunion, regards, paul birkenshaw:D

paul birkenshaw
11th Dec 2010, 11:53
Graham, good to learn that you have some interesting items re court line could i call you direct not only to speak about the good old times but also to see what may be of interst to me.
Have you heard anything of Ashley Haskins last living in Dunstable, or any of the Duty Officers that where on my watch.
Regards.
Paul.

Capt.Pebbie
16th Dec 2010, 08:58
Hi Lynne,

Your Dad was a CAA instrument rating examiner at Stansted. I was a young Pilot starting out my career(aged 19) and the CAA Stansted was feared by all, especially a Capt.Belson. I arrived for my Instrument rating and your Dad was assigned as my examiner. He was very kind and helpful to me and passed me. I do remember the accident at Luton as I was also flying the HS125 that day. I never read the accident report but I heard that one engine was shutdown with the HP cock and some how the the LP cock of the other engine was shut. I believe they were doing crew training. In those days they actually shut down engines instead of selecting idle. They didnt use Simulators for the Hawker and I actually became a type rating examiner and by then we did not shut engines down. From my brief encounter with your Dad he seemed to be a very nice character. friendly and understanding. I am sure a great tragedy in your life and a terrible waste of a life. It was a long time ago but there for the grace of God go I.

Kind regards,

Steve Cherry-Downes.
(Still flying 46 years later)

Kerling-Approsh KG
16th Dec 2010, 20:52
Does the name Miles Kingsmill-Moore ring any bells? Or is my memory fading..?

Halcyon Days
17th Dec 2010, 15:42
Who was he/where did he work? Dont recall the name amongst the aircrew fraternity anyway?

Georgeablelovehowindia
17th Dec 2010, 16:37
Paul, I'm sorry to tell you that Bob Haskins, as he was known latterly, died suddenly on the 3rd of January 2004, aged only 62. He had been living in Weston Super-Mare. It was Bob's second - and this time fatal - heart attack.

After Court Line, Bob worked as an area manager for Initial Towel Services, living in Holmfirth, before moving down to the West Country, of which he was particularly fond.

OUAQUKGF Ops
17th Dec 2010, 17:57
Yes indeed I remember him well. A thoroughly good egg. He was a consultant surgeon who free-lanced at week-ends with Autair as F/O on the Ambassador. Poor Miles was so shattered after one over-night duty (in those days 16 hours was not unusual) that on his way home he parked up his Mini on the hard shoulder of the M1 and took 40 winks. He was rudely awakened by a traffic cop and prosecuted. I suppose on reflection Autair should have coughed up for him - but such benevolent acts were unheard of then as indeed they are now. More I cannot tell you, but a very charming chap was Miles. He may have gone on to fly other types with Autair.

paul birkenshaw
18th Dec 2010, 12:29
Thank you most sincerely for your reply, this indeed is sad to say the least.
Over many years have tried without success to make contact wth Bob only to find he lived only a few miles from where i live in Huddersfield.
R.I.P

OUAQUKGF Ops
19th Dec 2010, 08:10
Paul please check your pms.

Jacky Blanchard
16th Jan 2011, 23:02
I was one of the cabin crew who went to represent Court Line at the Albert Hall - some big reunion for all the passengers - weird!:sad:

Lindylu
22nd Jan 2011, 11:15
Hello Paul,
I was in Autair Passeger Services for a couple of years and when I was old enough to "fly" became cabin crew with Courtline. I left shortly after the arrival of the Tri-star (good looking aircraft but too many passengers for me), I went to the other extreme and for the last 7 years of my flying career (a lifetime ago) I very happily flew on private jets for McAlpine. David Williams (Cpts son) worked as ground crew and Ashley who drove that little van.

Very best wishes to you & others who may remember me.

Lindy Underwood. :rolleyes:

lynne philpot
10th Feb 2011, 06:42
Dear Steve,it was good to get your message about my father Harry Dryhurst who was killed at Luton, i was 20.I would like to think he helped you on your way. I live in Clacton on Sea,with my husband is a retired nurse and my son aged 30.Am off to USA next week to see my dads sister who is only two years older than i .It was good to hear from you and hope to get to Autairs reunion perhaps this year , glad to hear your still flying my father loved his flying before anything else,best wishes Lynne Philpot

1970s Spotter
13th Feb 2011, 18:24
Would anyone know which companise showed any interest i the CourtLine TriStars after Aug 74 and before Cathy bought them in 77? Why did they take the best part of 3 years to get resold>

Thanks

The AvgasDinosaur
14th Feb 2011, 08:41
I would think that as they were possibly two of a very small number ( L.T.U. being the others) that were in all tourist configuration. Many of the "majors" would be reluctant to take on 2 non standard aircraft. Were the airstairs unique to Court's twins ? For an I.T. operator to take on the huge costs of training/ support must have been daunting at the time.
Hope it helps
Be lucky
David

DAHB
22nd Feb 2011, 15:23
Dear Lynne,

I have just come across your post. My father David Boothman was co-pilot in G-AVGW, and killed in the same crash as your father. I have never known much about the accident, and wondered what you had been able to discover.

Best wishes,

Adam

OUAQUKGF Ops
24th Feb 2011, 11:48
Adam, I knew your Dad when I was an Ops Officer with Autair. I will send you a Private message tonight when I get home from work.

lynne philpot
24th Feb 2011, 15:59
Adam, my wife Lynne is in usa at present, so i am replying on her behalf, but im sure when she gets back she will want to put her bit in. I have done all the work i can about her father, it was the only way i could get to know the father in law i had never met. One of the items i did come across was the accident investigation report. These were carried out by the board of trade at the time. A copy can be obtained from the british national library, i think it was about £21 including delivery. Details are; TITLE REPORT-ACCIDENT COMPENSATION CO... YEAR 1969. VOLUME/PART CAP 326. SHELFMARK 2116.66 The report is very detailed, but comes to no firm conclusion, well, not to me anyway, apart from the fact that both engines had been shut down, when the intention was to shut only one engine. I suspect there was a communication error between the pilots, and they shut an engine each, without the others knowledge, (your father was being tested on the hs 125, and total engine failure was simulated). It seems almost inconcievable that two pilots with so much experience between them should make such an error, but this was just a blip compared to the kegworth disaster, and in that context, it make's the hs 125 incident entirely believable. I often think of harold and david, and am both angry and saddend, angry with them for not getting it right, and sad for those left behind. However, i've never sought blame, just understanding. I hope this has been some help, best wishes, Ray.

OUAQUKGF Ops
24th Feb 2011, 18:49
Adam have sent you same. Click panel top right to read. Cheers.

frontlefthamster
24th Feb 2011, 22:46
I believe that the AAIB are pretty good at sending out free of charge copies of old reports... Try them through the contact details on their website. Much better than lining someone's pockets...

I've enjoyed reading this thread about Courtline. Sounds like a nice bunch of folk, doing what they enjoyed, without the bean counters' intervention. Happy days for the most part, I would think.

Condolences to those who lost loved ones...

SKI
25th Feb 2011, 22:00
I remember in Autair days when the learjet 23s for KLA 5A-DAC, and 5A-DAD, went on one at Luton in 1966 any body remember that?

OUAQUKGF Ops
26th Feb 2011, 12:36
I was lucky enough to be given a ride in one of these pocket-rockets when it was air-tested. Our departure from Luton resembled that of a Lightning and we were at 40,000 ft in the twinkling of an eye. Five or ten minutes later we were turning for Luton over The North Sea. A rapid descent saw us roaring for home fast and low over the flat-lands of Cambridgeshire (a bit bumpy if I remember rightly!).
These two aircraft were operated by Autair on behalf of KLA for The Royal Flight of King Idris. As tea-boy ops runner I was sent to Heathrow in a van to pick up spares for these jets - I think they were elevators or elevator components as the early Lear Jets had problems in that department!
One of the Captains was Peter Parrot, who it transpires fought in the Battle of Britain. In those days most chaps didn't talk too much about their war service.

W9SQD
12th Apr 2011, 13:46
Good morning all, it is springtime in New England.

I just received a pristine copy of Colours in the Sky from a used book specialist, Soldridge Books, Ltd, Alton, Hants. I've had it on my "wants" list at abebooks.com for several years. Once in awhile a copy shows up. This one was about $40 plus shipping.

Pictures of Jaqui and Stella everywhere plus one of a young Len Prudence. Gosh, what a lot of water under the bridge since then.

Charlie Marks
OU and GF

Jaqui Maschera
26th Jun 2011, 07:10
The next reunion is 8th OCTOBER 2011 @ Harpenden House Hotel. We have had to change the date from September to October if you would like details please just let me know.
Jaqui :)

Richard Wynne-Jones
7th Jul 2011, 14:22
Have joined the forum because I worked during my university vacs (Summers of 72 and 73 and Christmas 72 and Easter 73) as a passenger services assistant at LTN and was recruited by Bob Ashley Haskins (Manager Passenger Ground Services?). Bob was an absolute gentleman and apparently told the lady who also interviewed me 'hire him..... but God knows what we're going to do with him'. I met Bob again at the Grand Spa Hotel Clifton in 1975 and he handed me an Initial Cleaning Services business card with another name on it and explained that he had changed names. I forget the name of the recruitment lady but she ran the very effective and informative Ground Staff Training Courses for recruits in a rather wet and dingy hut behind a hanger off the main apron. The course also included a full history of Autair and the design evolution of the Vickers Viking (some head scratching on that one from the raw recruits). I had the advantage of having flown in Autair G-AHOY Viking 1B some years earlier on a school trip to Holland and thanked heavens that our familiarisation flight was in a BAC 111 500 relocating from Castle Donnington. We had a written test at the end which we had to pass (but we were re-assured that no one failed). She was always knitting on shift even when things where frantic in the terminal building, much like Madam Pompadour. So for two years during my vacations I checked in drunks, TV stars, old ladies who left the tickets at home, vicars, a bishop, Villa Owners, Football Supporters and stroppy lawyers who quoted verbatim the Warsaw Convention when their flights were delayed or cancelled. And who could blame them as we often had to bus them down to the Thistle in Luton to get them out of the terminal!! Best moments? (Far too many to bore you with but Checking in Corporal Jones and family of Dad's Army and then keeping them company for 12 hours during a delay was fun. It must have passed quickly as everyone in the terminal got his autograph. Worst moment. When the line of passengers I boarded for Munich got mixed up with a Britannia fight to Ibiza. Half on each flight!! I thought it was the end of my holiday job!!! Oh. Yes. Then there was the night Captain Williams burst all those tires on the Tristar in Spain and all the 1-11's were used to ferry people back. Chaos. But...but I had the time of my life!! Which is why I hope you'll excuse the long trip down memory lane.