PDA

View Full Version : CAA Charges question regarding ME/IR

pipergirl
15th Aug 2007, 13:19
Going to send off my application to get my Multi IR added on to my CPL.

I don't already have the Multi Rating on my licence, so will I have to pay for that and the IR or do they class it altogether as one?

Mercenary Pilot
15th Aug 2007, 13:39
I'm pretty sure you have to pay for it separately if you already have the CPL issued. However If I remember rightly, when you apply for a CPL you get one rating added on at no additional cost.

This was a while back though...and it's not like the CAA to do stuff for free.

littco
15th Aug 2007, 14:12
I wouldn't worry to much, if you over pay them, they will just credit your account and then you can use that towards payment of the next load of dosh you have to shed out to them, probably putting your TR on the license.

BlueRobin
15th Aug 2007, 14:51
You could query it directly with PLD.

Flingingwings
15th Aug 2007, 15:10
If it's like the rotary world they'll charge you for both :eek:

They view the ME type as one rating and the IR as a second :mad:

Not only that they apply the same logic whenever I've added a new ME type and IR ( Ie two fees!!!)

Gotta fund that canteen somehow :E

MrHorgy
15th Aug 2007, 15:44
Hmm, I was told at my flying school (and the CAA instructor I sat my CPL with) to wait until I had all three passes then add them together and i'll save £90. Is this not true now?

Horgy

pipergirl
15th Aug 2007, 15:49
No it is true that you can send all three off and save a few bob.

I already have the CPL issued as I had to do that in order for me to do my FI rating. (I did the FI rating before the IR)

I had a feeling I would have to pay for the two seperately..was just hoping someone else had news to the contrary..but alas...CAA strikes again!

Mercenary Pilot
15th Aug 2007, 19:08
Cheque Always Attached :ok:

pipergirl
15th Aug 2007, 20:35
Well, I am actually going to pop in to the CAA to get my stuff done.
I have to see this canteen that my hard earned fees have paid for!:}

littco
15th Aug 2007, 21:10
I'm sure if you're getting a CPL, Night Rating, Me and IR all issued at the same time you save money and get one or two added free. I know I did but only as they phoned me.

pipergirl
15th Aug 2007, 23:21
It is true.

To get the CPL issued alone is about 216 pounds and to get all CPL, ME/IR done together, it's something like 350 pounds approx.
CAn't remember the exact figures, but just check out the scheme of charges on the CAA site and you'll see it there.
Not bad seeing as though they always seem to try and charge you through the nose for everything at any given opportunity!

SD.
15th Aug 2007, 23:31
To top it all off, you get charged 'visitors' rates in the canteen. How they can justify charging that amount of money to sign the blue, gren or orange book is beyond me.

C:mad:'s Against Aviation

It's also taken 2 months, 3 emails, numerous phone calls, one hand written letter (delievered to LGW) and 3 months of my time to get a response (albeit positive) from FCL. Yet the first thing they ask for at the medical desk is a credit card. :ugh:

/rant over :}

MrHorgy
15th Aug 2007, 23:33
I get angry when I think how much I pay in exam / licence fees at the CAA - then I look through the windows at the absolute STUNNERS they seem to employ there and the angry fades away. Damn my susceptibility!

Horgy

kala87
16th Aug 2007, 14:17
Yes, the invigilator for a couple of my ATPL exam sittings looked like Shania Twain with glasses. Almost distracted me all those (ahem) fascinating questions on gyroscopes!

Goodness knows what they spend all our hard earned money on. The sandwiches in the canteen are better at Costa or Cafe Nero in the terminal. Must be to fund their index-linked pensions.

Flingingwings
16th Aug 2007, 15:04
Must say for me it's a case of hate the game not the players.

I had a good evening with three FCL bods at the London Airshow a couple of years ago :ok:

I know Simon has moved on, but Peggy and Vicky are still there though :E

pipergirl
16th Aug 2007, 22:23
Yeah...aim it at the organ grinder not the monkey! haha...
Ah no, it is easy to think of the CAA bods and give out, but at the end of the day, they are just the joe soaps doing the work and not the ones setting the fees or the regulations.
I have to say, I met the nicest bloke, Alastair, behind the counter today in Personnel Licensing. There was a mistake on one part of my paperwork and got it rectified and this chap was extremely helpful. Some other people had a problem too and he tried his best to sort it out for them.

Turned out that I had to pay 108 quid for the individual ratings..so an expensive afternoon for me!
I tried to haggle with him over the fees for the laugh, but no joy!
Ah well, you gotta try haven't you!:}