PDA

View Full Version : Canberra Blue Shadow help wanted

R2G2
15th Aug 2007, 11:30
Grateful if anybody out there could help with some research I'm doing into the Blue Shadow radar fitted to Canberra B6 and B16 types used mainly, it seems, by the squadrons forming the Akrotiri Strike Wing in the fifties and sixties. There seems to be confusion about this fit but my understanding is that the starboard rear ejection seat was removed and a long (15 feet?) wave guide attached to the starboard fuselage side.

The reason for the request is nothing more sinister than model making - I am trying to assemble various pieces of plastic and metal into something resembling a 1/48 scale B6 or B16 Canberra operated by 6 Sqn in Cyprus so I'm only interested in shapes, locations, dimensions and when in an aircraft's history the modification was carried out.

I've googled, yahooed, contacted the RAF Museum, made enquiries of a sqn boss of that vintage and the 6 Sqn Association with little result. I did find one mention of Blue Shadow on PPRUNE but this doesn't help with the information needed and actually seems to add to the confusion.

R2G2

redsetter
18th Aug 2007, 10:47
R2G2,

Blue Shadow used an 8-ft antenna on starboard fuselage side. As you say, RHS navigator's seat was removed in these aircraft.

rs

Bob Wyer
21st Aug 2007, 15:25
I was a nav on 249 (GC) Sqn 65-69, Canberra B15 / B16have details and pictures, please PM

R2G2
22nd Aug 2007, 11:52
Redsetter

Many thanks, this is the information I need to get on with the project.

R2G2