PDA

View Full Version : Backward Facing Seats

Jetlagged Purser
15th Aug 2007, 10:50
Hey Everyone,

United has announced new Business Class seats for the wide-body fleet, some of which are backward-facing. To those of you who work for airlines that currently have some backward-facing seats, I am curious to know if there are many complaints from passengers. My co-workers are thinking that we may be spending time trying to accommodate passengers who don't wish to face backwards. Are we just imagining problems?

Thanks for your input! :)

lovethesky
15th Aug 2007, 13:07
ba business class has backward faceing seats, and genraly have very few requests to move because they are backwards

Cubanate
24th Aug 2007, 13:30
Since the sixties I've flown backwards all over the world with no problems at all! RAF VC10's seats (used to?) face backwards because it was deemed safer for the passenger in the event of an accident - sit back rather than brace. Given the choice, I'd go for these seats every time!

bnt
24th Aug 2007, 15:56
SLF here: I have more of a sensation of speed in a fast train (e.g. TGV) than in any passenger plane, so rear-facing seats in a plane would not bother me at all. :hmm:

mechelec
24th Aug 2007, 15:57
Hi SLF here, will they be flatbeds? Have travelled BA numerous occasions rear facing without a problem, but that said they are flatbeds and head is down once airborne when flying overnight.

Atishoo
25th Aug 2007, 09:53
I would hate backward seats. I wont travel on a train backwards, it makes me feel sick.

sinkingship
25th Aug 2007, 10:10
I have had no problems backwards facing, even with my friend who cant travel backwards on a train says its ok because there is not much visual reference to the outside.
(But then if i gave her the choice to travel in economy i'm sure i'll get a different response.)

I Just Want To Fly
30th Aug 2007, 00:33
Generally it is referred to as an Aft Facing Seat.

I usually get a little nautious in an aft facing crew seat or pax seat when things get a little bumpy coming into land. I'm sure the pax sitting at my exits didn't expect my crew food in their laps when they requested a little extra leg room. :yuk:

Mick Strigg
30th Aug 2007, 12:08
Cubanate is correct, aft facing seats are much safer than forward facing. Airlines only have them forward facing to appease the customer, who feels that he should face the way he is going, like he is used to in a car!

For an industry that prides itself on its safety record, it seems rediculous that it still bows to customer pressure over common sense.

Flip Flop Flyer
30th Aug 2007, 13:50
Added benefit of an aft facing lie-flat seat: When reclined in the bed position, your head will be slightly higher than your feet, owing to the nose-up attitude of the aircraft. I sleep much better on an aft facing seat for that very reason.