PDA

View Full Version : Last chance for tax returns.

knows
20th Jan 2002, 02:08
Just completing my return.
I again find that we get screwed here in the UK.

Not only do we earn less than colleagues in the US. There are many US allowable tax deductions that flight crews can take advantage of. UNION DUES, UNIFORM UPKEEP, MED./EYE CARE, TIPS, PER-DIEM, JOB SEARCH, ALL PHONE CALL ON THE ROAD, CELL & BEEPERS, GROOMING SUPPLIES AND MORE!

maxy101
20th Jan 2002, 12:06
Twas ever thus!! Why not vote with your feet and move abroad? Its not meant to be facetious comment, merely that many UK pilots now commute in from Europe. It is a lot easier than you think....

Flintstone
20th Jan 2002, 18:52
I know exactly what you mean.

I've found an excellent accountant though. Glad to pass on his details. He saved me a fortune.

cwatters
21st Jan 2002, 15:37
> Why not vote with your feet and move abroad?

...and then you may get to fill in two tax returns.

I moved to belgium but I still have to fill in a UK return - as well as a Belgian one. To make matters worse, the UK tax year is Apr-Apr and Belgium Jan-Jan so you get more than twice the fun :-(

PS Don't take my word for it but.. I believe you only get hit with a £100 penalty if you owe tax and don't send a cheque for that ammount by end Jan.

cwatters
21st Jan 2002, 15:58
I thought the IR allow for maintenance of uniforms? The notes on the employment pages says..

...expenses for the upkeep of tools and special clothing that are not fixed.

...but perhaps they have something against pilots uniforms. . . . .Here in Belgium you can even claim an allowance for travel to and from your normal place of work.