PDA

View Full Version : Employment question from US Pilot

Laker
14th Aug 2007, 20:50
Wondering if anyone can give me any insight here. I'm currently working as an A 320 FO for Us Airways. I have about 6,000 hours total time with 2,000 plus on the A 320. I have an SIC A 320 rating but no PIC type rating.

Currently I'm making about Us $75k/year with a schedule of 15 on and 15 off per month. I'm thinking hard about flying in the middle east if the pay and working conditions are sufficient.

My question is would it be possible to get a job out there making 150k or so with decent vacation and accomodation included? The upgrade with Airways will be years down the road. Is it realistic to think that I could work for Qatar/Emirates/whoever for 10-15 years and return to the states with 1.5+ million in the bank? Does anybody do that? Can you save all your earnings and live off per diem?

I would really appreciate any hard facts concering contract details. I've been searching for them but most threads seem to center around management etc.....The piloting career isn't what it used to be in the states and I'm exploring my options. Would I be able to get a job out there with my stated times?

I would really appreciate any detailed info on working conditions....

Thanks!

FlyingCroc
14th Aug 2007, 22:12
Making 75k a year as FO and only working 15 days is great. And whats the problem waiting for your upgrade in a working airline in a civilized country.
If you come here be prepared to put up with lots of crap, especially as FO. Expect around 4-6 years for your upgrade.
With your qualifications no problem, they will give you a job tomorrow.
You can however save some money, at least 5k a month if you don't overspend. However ask yourself can you really afford to waste 10-15 years of your life in the sandpit? :eek:

PositiveRate876
15th Aug 2007, 13:08
Laker
When making your decision keep in mind that out of all the people that hate it here and consider this a waste of time in an "uncivilized country", about 95% are right here on Pprune, and you're only liable to run into the remaining 5% on the line.

mensaboy
16th Aug 2007, 17:27
If you are making 75K a year, 15 on, 15 off, then if that was me, I would never leave. Yes EK is good overall, but I think you have it pretty good right now. You might be better off financially to come to EK but that is not the whole picture.

If you are single, then fine take a chance here and I would bet you would do quite well. If you are married and even moreso with kids, then you are crazy to take that chance.

I suspect you are younger than most EK pilots so that might be another factor. At least EK is recognizing the fact that F/O's here are pissed off, but I am not certain that anything will be done about it. I hope that they will do something about it, but I don't have much faith in the likes of ED or TCAS. In fact, that puts it mildly. Not only do I think they don't care whatsoever, but even if they did, they would not be able to do anything about it.

Think long and hard about giving up what appears to be a good job, to take a chance here. Playing the odds, I think you would do well here, but you have to take into account that about 25% of new joiners regret their decision within 2 years. That is just my opinion though, but this comes from someone 'wanting' new joiners to come here as that makes my life easier and my job more secure. But I have to be honest about things.

FlyingCroc
16th Aug 2007, 18:36
It is all about lifestyle. I f you are career minded and flying large shiny jets and making more money means everything to you then this is the place to be. If you like social life, more days off in a surrounding where you can enjoy life I suggest you stay where you are.

Desert Diner
16th Aug 2007, 19:49
Is it realistic to think that I could work for Qatar/Emirates/whoever for 10-15 years and return to the states with 1.5+ million in the bank? Does anybody do that? Can you save all your earnings and live off per diem?

No, unless you are able to live like a hermit for those 15 years!

Panther06
17th Aug 2007, 02:29
US Airways currently has 20 plus years narrow body F/Os who have no hope of upgrading. It is very conceivable that some of them will fly as FOs until age 65. US Airways has a habit of reducing the fleet by 50% about every 5 years as soon as the most recent band of theives and robbers running the company suck the money out of the corporation and move on to their next opportunity to plunder. (note to mensaboy) - about 100% of the 59 year old narrow body FO's at USAirways regret their decision to work for US so if it is 20% at EK thats about an 80% improvement. Bottom line - everybody's personal situation is different and requires a different solution. Thomas Freidman has written a very interesting book called " The World is Flat" meaning that globalization is happening so either get on the train or be left behind. The airline industry in the U.S for pilots is in bad shape and getting worse. Its time to look for opportunity elsewhere for many of us (depending on personal situation).

Vili68
18th Aug 2007, 01:27
Panther,

Thanks for throwing in a relatively obscure (at least for most pilots :ugh:) reference to Friedman. I wistfully remember discussing the coming globalization and its impacts during one of my better college history courses, and that was in 1991. I don't know why anyone is still surprised that it's actually happening.

Hope all is well. Keep us posted on your progress elsewhere!

Vili

Fart Master
18th Aug 2007, 05:59
Save 5K a month!!!!!!!!! I don't think so, well yes if you lived on potatoes and water

ShockWave
18th Aug 2007, 06:48
Unfortunately working in the middle east does not pay enough to make up for having to work and live here. So if you are only considering comming here to make and save your money you will be very dissapointed.

If on the other hand you don't like working in the US or other home country and you definately need to change jobs then the middle east is worth considering. You can enjoy your life here but it will cost money and you won't save much money for the first several years, unless you are single, don't go out, don't drink and only eat curry.
Dubai may be a holliday destination but working here is no holliday, you will earn your money.
Surviving in the gulf takes effort. You should try to enjoy the lifestyle here and that will take money. If you stay at home and do nothing you will not stay long enough to get your command, 10-15 years would be impossible under such circumstances.