PDA

View Full Version : Current Issue Watch - RAF Aircrew ?

pwwuk
14th Aug 2007, 15:47
Can anyone tell me which watches are standard issue to RAF Aircrew just now ?

Many thanks .. Peter.

Hot Charlie
14th Aug 2007, 16:28
Presently I believe there are two, both Pulsar, one a non-chronograph, the other a chronograph.

The chronograph example is basically this one at H Samuel (http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/detail/R/4673158/) but with a blue strap. Otherwise identical as far as I can tell.:)

pwwuk
14th Aug 2007, 16:56
I was lead to belive it was a Breitling .. ?

Tiger_mate
14th Aug 2007, 17:16
Hot Charlie is right, a £60 watch replaced the £250+ Seiko one that I wish I had never exchanged. In fairness the Pulsar one keeps good time, but it is bulky compared to the previous issue watch.

Brietling! No chance, and the way cutbacks are going, it wont be too long before we are using sticks and shadows.

groveaviation
14th Aug 2007, 17:28
Is this an attempt to bash those who fly in Breitlings or a genuine question?

pwwuk
14th Aug 2007, 17:47
Genuine ..

332mistress
14th Aug 2007, 17:48
My old military watch packed up years ago - can't understand why anybody would pay more than a few quid for a watch unless they were a poseur.

Argos £21 Timex - brilliant keeps good time and when battery runs out or you forget to take it off in the Dunker get a new one!!

332M

Hot Charlie
14th Aug 2007, 21:40
Never bothered to go to stores to pick up a chrono, so can't comment.

You'd have to convince the storeman you're a Nav (sorry, WSO) first. Or hope he's a nice chap who doesn't care either way.

DummyRun
15th Aug 2007, 01:32
Mine's missing in the showers at Kandybar, any friendly stackers could scrap it for me? !!!!, thought not. T'woud have been easier for tut paperwork to claim it as a burner..... Honest guv it burn't at Lash Le Bar......

L J R
15th Aug 2007, 02:12
Haven't worn a watch while flying for years. The Atomic Clock in the GPS has never let me down. (Including Tutor, Slow Jets, Fast Jet and others)...

barnstormer1968
15th Aug 2007, 03:00
I have the pulsar watch mentioned above. I bought it at Argos, it's OK, but gains at least 1-2 seconds per week. Also the luminescence is pretty poor.
I got it because it was similar to my old CWC G10 watch, but have to admit, it is nowhere near as high in quality (timekeeping, or strength). Mine came with a grey NATO style strap.

Dan Winterland
15th Aug 2007, 04:08
My old Seiko kept better time than my newer Breitling. When the Seikos came out, everyone who had the old mechanical watches handed them in to get the new electric gadget.

Those old watches were made by IWC and fetch a lot of money on e-bay!

Wensleydale
15th Aug 2007, 07:07
I've still got my old wind-up chronograph issued in 1978. It still keeps great time and gets used as a "spare" on det in case the battery dies on my electric watch (Swiss Army). Trouble with the chronograph is the bulk - modern watches are so much slimmer, lighter and more comfortable. I must admit however that cheap timex watches (especially when bought in American BXs) are really good and do the job. However its almost as cheap to buy a new one rather than replace the strap and battery in the UK!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
15th Aug 2007, 07:39
The old Seiko aircrew chronograph was no longer provisioned mainly because the luminous (Tritium, good; Promethium, crap!) markings didn't meet current H&S standards, particularly in manufacture. The DEFSTAN that covered that watch was rapidly cancelled and never replaced. It's interesting that the specified time keeping was significantly better than that of the Pulsar (manufactured by Seiko).

If it's any consolation to the cost conscious, Aunty Betty paid nowhere near the price of those Seikos in Silvermans and the aviation shops.

Stuff
15th Aug 2007, 10:00
Question for all you watch experts. I have the old Seiko chronograph with the three small dials at the 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions on the face. The long stopwatch second hand isn't aligned properly at the 12 o'clock position, it points half way between straight up and the 1 second mark.

I know that it's possible to move this hand in 1 second increments around the face by pulling the adjustment crown half way out but is there a way of moving it in smaller amounts so I can line it up properly again or is this watch in need of more significant repair?

pwwuk
15th Aug 2007, 12:39
So are we saying the statment below is a load of bull ? No one completed OCU recently and been presented with £1k worth of bling ??

Breitling watches, Breitling watch, Watchfinder.co.uk Call 0845 ... (http://breitling.watchfinder.co.uk/)The breitling watch-aerospace model is standard issue to RAF pilots. The dial is embossed with the eagle and wreath, and each one is individually numbered. ...
breitling.watchfinder.co.uk/ - 70k -

TurbineTooHot
15th Aug 2007, 14:24
pwwuk, the standard issue is a load of hoop. I wish it was, but there are a few other things that the money should go on first...

Incidentally, my Pulsar G10 is super accurate. Had it 5 years and needs hacking once every blue moon.

Don't know what the fuss is about.

Phil_R
15th Aug 2007, 15:44
Do men and women get given the same thing?

P

wondering
15th Aug 2007, 21:30
What ever happened to IWC??? Still think the Mark models of IWC issued to the RAF were 'true' pilot watches and not those plastic imposters :=

Wessex Boy
16th Aug 2007, 11:39
IWC versions are still available on eBay....