PDA

View Full Version : The 3 most important qualities a CPL H should possess?

G-HALE
14th Aug 2007, 13:57
Hey people?
Can anyone tell me what the 3 most important qualities a commercial helicopter pilot should possess and why?
Thanks for replys:ok:

Riddster
14th Aug 2007, 14:05
Not by any chance filling in this are we? :):)http://www.oxfordaviation.net/gv/Bond082007/Bond_application.htm

Probably best if you figure it out for yourself?! :):hmm:

SASless
14th Aug 2007, 14:26
He should always compliment the Captain on every landing.

He should always fetch and pay for the drinks.

He should always opt for the fat and ugly of a pair of ladies.:E

paco
14th Aug 2007, 14:53
Good one!

how about five? take your pick:

Meticulous - being prepared to do the same thing, the same way, every time, and not get bored, as that's the way you miss things

Forward Thinking - in the same way that an advanced driver is ready to deal with a corner before going into it, the advanced pilot knows the load underneath will carry on if the helicopter slows down, and positions the controls properly
Responsible - the "responsible position" that you hold as a commander is one where you act with minimum direction but are personally responsible for the outcome of your activities. In other words, you are responsible for the machine without being directed by any other person in it

Trustworthy - people must be able to trust you - all of aviation runs on it. You trust the previous pilot not to have overstressed the machine, or to really have done 4.3 hours and not 6. Signatures count for a lot, and, by extension, your word

Motivated. Motivation is a drive to behave in a particular fashion. It is an internal force which can affect the quality of performance, although excessive motivation together with high levels of stress will limit your attention-management capabilities

phil

buzz34
14th Aug 2007, 14:56
haha, I was wondering how long it would take for that question to pop up on here!
As I filled out the form I thought of all the flak I would take on PPRUNE for what I was writing......I never know whether its best to stick with the "obvious" answers on those forms, or try and be a bit more individual...I went for the latter! :ugh:

Well I got 2 of PACO's 4!!

manfromuncle
14th Aug 2007, 14:57
How about ... willing to work for peanuts/nothing, be exploited, and kiss arse to get ahead in this industry?

MINself
14th Aug 2007, 15:30
Having a bad afternoon MFU? :(

S76Heavy
14th Aug 2007, 15:39
I'd say a sense of humour is mandatory for any CPL-H.
'cause you don't have to be crazy to do the job but it makes it so much easier if you are..:E

Bravo73
14th Aug 2007, 15:57
Begads. All of the above are obviously very nice to have. But I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this so far:

1. Money

2. Money

3. Money

:E

MD900 Explorer
15th Aug 2007, 00:29
Honesty and trust worthiness apparrently are top, as eff that up and it don't matter what other qualities you have.... you wont get re-employed after the P45 is fresh off the press.! Reputation is everything a good mate of mine told me once.!!

awaiting flak from some uninformed so and so.... yawn.

MD :E

kiwi chick
15th Aug 2007, 00:31
The three I found most important?!

Left Hand

Right Hand

Both Feet

;)

WhirlyBob
15th Aug 2007, 01:53
What about:

Brave,
Clean,
&
Reverent
???
;)

kiwi chick
15th Aug 2007, 01:58
Well, I'm neither Brave nor Clean... and I got a CPL (H).

(did anyone else have to sit their flight test naked? :O )

paco
15th Aug 2007, 03:31
Now please don't let us get thoughts into our heads......:eek:

phil

Brian Abraham
15th Aug 2007, 04:58
sit their flight test naked

If you were naked I doubt you would have been sitting. But then again..........:ooh:

ShyTorque
15th Aug 2007, 15:48
The three I found most important?!
Left Hand
Right Hand
Both Feet

Is that flyin' or dancin'? :p

I would have said:

1) Dashing good looks.
2) Incredible intelligence.
3) Modesty.

But then, I've never held a CPL(H), or even a PPL(H) :)

helicopter-redeye
15th Aug 2007, 16:34
A sense of humour honed in the fires of Valhalla :ooh:;

A memory the size of the Britsih Library with a retreval rate greater than Cool Blue :8;

A bladder shaped like the dams of the Yangtse :sad:;

The patience of a saint while waiting about :ugh:;

A whole lota spendin' money to pay the CAA to <print> regularly stuff you have already and have paid for more than once :*;

The ability to count above three :E.

h-r;)

212man
15th Aug 2007, 16:43
Is that flyin' or dancin'?

"You askin'?" :)

ShyTorque
15th Aug 2007, 17:32
Not if you insist on leadin' :p

Two's in
15th Aug 2007, 17:37
1. Too busy to surf the interweb thingy during work hours.

2. See Above.

3. See Above.

paco
16th Aug 2007, 00:13
here's more from another forum;

Chief Pilots like:

Minimum 10,000 hours, type ratings on everything made since the Wright Brothers, a Master’s degree, the willingness to carry baggage and clean helicopters if they’re not already helping the engineer maintain them, have worked for one outfit in during their career and left only when the owner died, and willing to work everywhere on a moment’s notice for undefined periods, plus 2000 hours single pilot IFR, 2000 hours precision longlining, 2000 hours production longline, with 2000 hours of that above 7000 feet, plus 2000 hours offshore. And be younger and less qualified than the Chief Pilot!

phil

kiwi chick
16th Aug 2007, 01:03
Is that flyin' or dancin'?

I would have said:

1) Dashing good looks.
2) Incredible intelligence.
3) Modesty.

1), 2) & 3) to GET a dance, to pass a flight test, and to fly with me ;)

212man
16th Aug 2007, 01:57
ST, just let me re-arrange my white ankle boots, and place my handbag in a strategic location!

KWC, Ooh, you're so demanding. Would 2 out of 3 do? (though of course I have 4 out of the 3!) ;)

kiwi chick
16th Aug 2007, 02:44
That depends on how good you are at holding your collective... and which 4 out of 3 you have ;)

holding your collectivePurely, of course, another good quality of a helicopter pilot... i have excellent grip. :E

212man
16th Aug 2007, 03:00
Truth be told, I don't grip it much these days: I watch whilst others do it for me! Always poised, like a coiled rope, you understand!

BlenderPilot
16th Aug 2007, 05:01
If you fly GOM,
- Ability to smell seagull refuse and corpses for extended periods of time in the sun
- Willingness to live in trailers for half of your life, mostly with people that are "just glad to have a job flying" but don't seem to have much in terms of a life.
- Abilities for washing aircraft after flying all day while being eaten alive by marsh mosquitoes.
- Diplomacy in dealing with passengers that ask unreasonable things all day and question your judgement when you don't do what they want.
- Willingness to sleep in small room with 6 other people with nasty personal hygiene and that you have never seen before.
MMMh what else.
After that, the flying over there is as easy as driving a car down a country road, only less enjoyable.
(I know this is more like an answer you would get at JH but I just couldn't resist, sorry, and BTW I don't work in the GOM anymore, I really don't know what got into me, glad to have done it, as it has helped me REALLY appreciate all my previous jobs!)