PDA

View Full Version : Any advice appreciated...

L A James
13th Aug 2007, 12:30
Hello all,

This is my first post in the biz jets forum, so thanks for reading so far!

What are the minimum hours that a pilot would need to fly biz jets? Is it possible to get a starting position straight out of FTO with 200 - 250 hours and an fATPL? If so, any idea of the average salary I could expect at that level?

I have tried to find my answers by searching this forum but haven't been able to (although I did spot a post from a guy who had been offered a position as a biz jet FO before he'd even finished ground school)! The wannabee forums seem to be dedicated to airline wannabees.

I know this is yet another irritating 'wannabee' question but I'd really appreciate some help from those who were once in my position.

Thanks and regards,

L A

hollingworthp
13th Aug 2007, 12:34
LA

That other post was almost certainly related to the Cadet programme run by OAT for NetJets. That program is currently closed but may re-open again but as it sounds like you already have your fATPL then it is not open to you.

FYI - the package for the cadets is €56,500 which includes €20,000 to repay your training costs and if you are based in the UK then this 20k is tax-free.

Flintstone
13th Aug 2007, 13:27
Aaaannnnnd after that commercial break from hollingworth it's back to the question in hand.:ugh:

Hours require vary greatly dependant upon aircraft type, the operator/owner etc etc but basically it's probably as good a time as any for a newly qualified pilot o get a foot in the door. The difference between the 'proper' bizjet world and the airlines is that probably 95% of jobs are filled by word of mouth so you really need to start meeting as many people as you can.

Lots of new aircraft coming, lots of growth, more operators having to relax their requirements.

Good luck :ok:

L A James
13th Aug 2007, 14:19
Thanks for the replies.

Flintstone; I like your sense of humour!

Where could I start to meet the kind of people who could answer my questions and help me get into the industry? I am about to begin full training at multiflight (I am currently a 0 hour beginner, although have my PPL(g) and a paramotor for weekend fun!) and would love to know where to network and send my CVs as I approach the end of my training.

Is the pprune gatbash worth a trip?

Regards,

L A

Flintstone
13th Aug 2007, 14:57
The Gatbash may help but I'm not sure how many bizjet pilots frequent them. Lots of spotters and things last time I went which is no criticism, just a way of saying you might have a hard time finding someone you need. I don't know about you but I go to the pub to relax, not talk about work.

If you're going to be around Multiflight that's a good start as they always have aircraft coming and going. Do they need anyone to work on the ramp, in the office? You could do worse than that, always on the spot.

Other than that stay in touch with people here, find out who the operators are around the country and maybe use your hour building trips to visit them.

FL470
13th Aug 2007, 16:09
Most Biz jet operators - at least the ones I know - want to see 1500h and more.

As for the salary: This depends on the company. Anywhere between 30000 and 60000€.

Hope this helps!