PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Aviation Academy

spurnblat
13th Aug 2007, 10:44
Hi there,

I'm heading over to the Singapore Aviation Academy from London for a six-week course starting in mid-September. Was just wondering if anyone had attended any courses there or had advice on things to do and places to go. I'll be staying in Changi Village to be close to the Academy but hope to get into the city a fair bit. Also wondering about weekend trips around South East Asia.

Any suggestions or cautions greatfully received!

Spurnblat

HuzyIsUndead
13th Aug 2007, 13:08
Oh welcome to Singapore in the near future! I've never been to the academy before. But anyway, Changi Village and the area surrounding it used to be a waterhole for trannies at night. They've moved to Orchard Tower, which is in the city, ever since. Just thought you should know.

There's a hawker centre at Changi Village. Since you're from London, the hawker environment might be a bit of a culture shock for you. But 6 weeks is a lot of time to get over the shock. Lotsa nice food there. Try the store that sells "nasi lemak". It's the one that always has a long queue.

About weekend trips around SEA, there's no such thing as weekend trips. You need more than 3 days to explore any SEA cities or countries. But of course I'm being bias here.

Cheers!

spurnblat
15th Aug 2007, 09:29
Thanks for the info Huzy!

Not much I can do about 3 day trips unfortunately. I'm hoping I can leave Singapore on a Friday evening and get back on a Sunday evening to visit places like Kuala Lumpur, Bintan and Batam, or even a bit farther to Thailand or the Philippines!

I'll definitely check out the hawker centre!

Spurnblat

HuzyIsUndead
15th Aug 2007, 11:02
No problem. Yeah KL, Bintan and Batam can be visited over the weekends. Bangkok too if you catch the right flights at the right time.

OzExpat
19th Aug 2007, 12:14
Just let the SAA folks know what you want to do. Being as how you'll be there for 6 weeks, they'll need your passport so that they can get an extension to the normal one month visa that's provided on arrival. They're good people at SAA who know all the best tourist places and will be happy to give you some pointers.

Just don't be late getting back to your course after a trip away. You need at least 80% attendance to have any chance of passing the course - quite apart from the exams, of course.

I've been to Singapore many times and to SAA several times. You'll love both Singas and SAA. Changi Village is a tad remote from the downtown city area but you'll soon get accustomed to the bus to the train station... and vice versa.

Blacksheep
20th Aug 2007, 02:20
SAA is a pretty good place. If you're staying at the Meridian they run a shuttle bus into town terminating at their Orchard Road hotel. Don't forget to check out "Charlie's Corner" in the village on weekdays (he goes fishing on Saturday & Sunday) Charlie is getting on now but he serves a decent pint and his grub's OK for a fast lunch. The Europa can be interesting of an evening but don't tackle the ladies - they ain't what they seem to be...! ;)

(Charlie goes back a long way - he used to be the barman in his grandad's bar "Millie's" back in the sixties, so he knows all about feeding and 'watering' expats.)

thornycactus
20th Aug 2007, 03:55
SAA is a pretty good place. If you're staying at the Meridian they run a shuttle bus into town terminating at their Orchard Road hotel. Don't forget to check out "Charlie's Corner" in the village on weekdays (he goes fishing on Saturday & Sunday) ...
Hope spurnblat won't be "broke" after staying 6 weeks at that costly hotel.

Thermal Image
20th Aug 2007, 04:18
Blacksheep:

The Europa can be interesting of an evening but don't tackle the ladies - they ain't what they seem to be...!

The Europa at Changi Village closed almost 10 years ago (of course the Europa empire / chain of pubs had it's rise and fall but that's another story).

There isn't any pub with "real" atmosphere worth making it a regular stop for 6weeks there now. A couple of smoky places with Filipino hookers and redneck oilriggers but that's it, maybe fun for one or two drinks and that's it.

The Meridien is now known as the Changi Village Hotel (not exactly an inspiring name) but nicer than the old Meridien.

Details here (http://www.changivillage.com.sg/index.cfm?CFID=1326945&CFTOKEN=76308567).

HuzyIsUndead:

The trannies are still there.

Spurnblat:

Do make Changi Village hawker centre your regular feeding stop. Good food, cheap prices, great variety.

spurnblat
20th Aug 2007, 08:45
Thanks a lot for the input everyone!

OzExpat, thanks for the advice. Was thinking of Friday evening departures and Sunday evening returns so as not to miss any classes. I'll try not to skip too many!

Blacksheep, will definitely check out "Charlie's Corner" - if it's still there.

thornycactus, not an issue - company is paying for the trip!

Thermal Image, planning on spending plenty of time at the hawker centre.

Spurnblat

lorads
23rd Aug 2007, 15:04
you can try places like Tioman for a weekend escape, taxi is not expensive in singapore too, btw food in SAA is quite nice too, try the seafood mee goreng, i miss that alot...

Blacksheep
24th Aug 2007, 01:47
The Europa at Changi Village closed almost 10 years agoJust after I was at SAA then. Millie's is dead too. :(

I've only been to Charlie's and the Singapore Sailing Club recently.