PDA

View Full Version : Rental Assistance with CX

Loiter1
13th Aug 2007, 10:07
Goodaye,
I am starting with Cathay as a DESO in Dec and am considering the myriad of things I have to do to ensure a relatively low stress move from Oz. After trolling through earlier threads and the T&C's I still have a few questions and would appreciate any answers.

When am I eligable for the rental assistance, is it when I commence or complete my training?
When is one expected to move the family and is time off set aside for this or do you sought it out between trips?
What's the air speed velocity of a sparrow?Many thanks for any assistance.:)

SIC
13th Aug 2007, 10:33
You can get rental allowance from day one in HKG. As soon as you move out of hotel. Family can come anytime. Wifey can stay in hotel with you from day one. Kids might be a bit crowding...
No time of to move - however first two weeks in HKG are slow and wifey can househunt with you in tow. Generally advised to not move family over untill simulator training phase is done - but nothing stops you.
Sparrow velocity is proportional to the size of the jet engine sucking it in....

Loiter1
13th Aug 2007, 11:05
Thanks Sic. There's no doubt, I will surely be in tow for the house hunting!!!:sad:

Near Miss
17th Aug 2007, 08:28
IMHO stay at the headland until ALL your sims are done. It is too much to be looking for a new place, moving, getting furniture, etc while trying to study CBT, sims and so on. Plus when you have a sim starting at 3am, being a 5 min walk away softens the blow. :{

Once you start line training you will get about a week off between flights. Enough time to look around. Another word of advice, try to start your lease on the 1st of the month. Believe me it is just easier with all the paperwork, pay, etc.

You will get about $26k (can't remember) per month, unfortunately however in HKG, don't expect the same size place you'd otherwise get for that dough in OZ. Even SYD is “cheap” compared to here.

Good luck with ADL :E and enjoy the fire hose. It is very refreshing. :\

Numero Crunchero
17th Aug 2007, 10:18
3. European or African?

Bwatchful
18th Aug 2007, 07:23
actually, it's classified.

Loiter1
21st Aug 2007, 02:24
Thanks guys, I think I will er on the side of caution and do the house thing after my sim training.

mineok65
21st Aug 2007, 15:50
How's the rental market in HK versus buying?
I've got to decide whether to take CX up on an employment offer and the rental and education allowances sound good but I have no idea if they're adequate to cover a decent place in DB or Gold Coast or where ever...
Any clues? And does the allowance go up with time in the company or rank? Preferably looking for a largish 3 bedroom unit.
Much obliged guys, and very much hoping you get a payrise to match the EK guys.

SIC
21st Aug 2007, 16:55
The rental is more than enough for a decent place - in the first two years it might be a bit tight but after that you can have fairly big place for the money.
Buying gets you about half the space you can rent - so there is a price to be paid in terms of living standard.

Apple Tree Yard
5th Sep 2007, 15:04
On a note of interest....our housing allowance is about 60% of the average expat in HK. Back in the 80's, it was the highest in HK...! Probably the same numbers apply to our salaries and benefits also....:ugh:

hongkongfooey
7th Sep 2007, 02:38
Apple, try working for someone who pays 6% of the average expat housing allowance :{

don't expect the same size place you'd otherwise get for that dough in OZ. Even SYD is “cheap” compared to here.

Have a friend renting in Darling harbour ( SYD ), 2br, small, just a smidge under 3000AUD/month ( 20000HKD ), and he gets no rental assistance, I don't reckon its that bad.