View Full Version : Australian Visa's for Engineers

bellsux
13th Aug 2007, 09:13
From the CASA website
http://www.casa.gov.au/media/2007/DOTARS07_128MV.htm

http://www.immi.gov.au/

DOTARS07/128MV - 9 August 2007
Skilled migration strengthens Australian aviation
The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Transport and Regional Services, Mark Vaile, today welcomed the announcement by the Minister for Employment and Workplace Relations and the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship that the occupations of avionic and mechanical Aircraft Maintenance Engineer have been added to the Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL).

"Research by the Civil Aviation and Safety Authority and the Australian Bureau of Statistics tells us that Australia is experiencing shortages in the skilled aircraft maintenance engineers needed to service Australias growing aviation fleet," Mr Vaile said.

The changes to the Migration on Demand list will help ensure that General Skilled Migration (GSM) visa applicants who have recognised skills in as aircraft maintenance will be awarded additional points for a points-tested GSM visa, making it easier for them to come to Australia as skilled migrants.

"I recently wrote to my ministerial colleagues and the CEO of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) to ensure that relevant Government agencies do all that they can to ensure that the continued growth of the Australian aviation industry is not jeopardised by shortages of key personnel.

"This announcement is a significant step in the right direction and means that aircraft engineers will be better targeted through Australia's migration programme," Mr Vaile said.

"I have asked relevant Government agencies to report back to me by the end of August on further options to strengthen Australias supply of pilots and aircraft engineers."

The inspection and maintenance of aircraft to ensure airworthiness goes to the heart of safe air travel. All work on Australian aircraft will continue to be maintained to a high level of safety where only aircraft maintenance engineers licensed by CASA are able to certify aircraft as safe to fly.

"Those aircraft maintenance engineers entering Australia through the Skilled Migration Programme will provide welcome assistance in maintaining Australias excellent air safety record," Mr Vaile said.

TURIN
13th Aug 2007, 17:55
WAYHEY!!!!!

It's all in the timing.

Where do I sign? :ok::ok::ok:

Tom Sawyer
14th Aug 2007, 07:32
The only reason there is a (possible) shortage here is because the pay is so much lower, and not looking at going up anytime soon, so guys are finding better paid, easier work outside of aviation. Certainly don't see that many decent jobs advertised. When I came here my pay dropped about GBP5K, and belive me Sydney is not a cheap place to live. Probably getting on a par with London when you look at actual living costs, ie housing, food etc. On the plus side eating out and petrol are cheaper.
Also bear in mind that industrial relations are, eeerrrrrr, combative at best. Employers running conditions down and unions arguing the toss on trivia, both sides are to blame IMO. Contracting is virtually unheard of as well so the job market is quite restrictive. Look very seriously before you leap.

happyjack
14th Aug 2007, 09:52
Yeah. Just one other problem that they forget to mention. All those skills, qualifications and experience count for nothing when you get there. := "How much Australian experience do you have?":ugh:

bellsux
14th Aug 2007, 13:13
You don't have to sit all the exams.. if you come from EU or USA

http://www.casa.gov.au/ame/download/aac9-66.pdf
go to page 6

corporate kid
24th Aug 2007, 13:15
So what exams are required???

I just had a chat to CASA and they said CTC many times. I asked about straight conversions and the guy sniggered and said "dont hold your breath"

Anyone know anywhere to do a CTC course and exams in house???

Kiwiconehead
25th Aug 2007, 12:01
No straight conversions yet.

The B1/B2 licenses still don't exist - not until early next year when part 66 comes into force.

Until that happens, they can't even start to consider cross recognition.

CAO100.66 provides a means for holders of CASA AMELs to attain the privileges of the B1/B2 license before Part 66 comes into force by way of a maintenance authority - this is mainly aimed at operators who have new types coming in and want to take advantage of the system, eg: Virgin and the Brazillian Fantasies.

Until then it's a case of go to an RO, get assessed and more than likely do the CTCs .

Aviation Australia in Brisvegas are probably the mob with the most experience with the old/interim/new systems and may be able to advise some more.