PDA

View Full Version : LIght plane crash YKAT

bizzybody
13th Aug 2007, 07:14
There has been an aircraft crash at Katoomba Airfield. Not sure at this stage what type but its just happened.

I think it is an Ultralight all I know its a single seater

UPDATE: The single engine, green, single seater aircraft was taking off when it was hit by wind and came to rest in a tree

Bizz

ForkTailedDrKiller
14th Aug 2007, 08:03
"at about 100-150 feet the engine has failed"

Seems to be a common occurrence among this class of aircraft!

Dr :cool:

bizzybody
14th Aug 2007, 08:27
F:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:k thats bad..
hope everything works out for him in the long run

Bizz

Jabawocky
14th Aug 2007, 08:44
Hey Doc

Not sure what your axe to grind there is, however I am reasonably informed by some locals down here that the good old 2-strokes are given a very low TBO for a good reason and Rotax do not refurb cranks and similar.

I would not say this is the case here because I do not know, but I would bet there are hundreds of two strokes that are touched up and flown well past their TBO just to save a buck.

Bit like some R22/44's that you get to read about from time to time.

I am not a fan of the two stroke aviation devices some folk use, and would be reluctent to fly one. Having said that my Yamaha outboard has seen over 1000 hrs of V6 fun, and its as strong as an ox. Mind you it does not get far AMSL.....well only a little bit at times:E

J:ok:

VH-XXX
14th Aug 2007, 10:43
Mate, what planet do you live on!

"Not sure what your axe to grind there is, however I am reasonably informed by some locals down here that the good old 2-strokes are given a very low TBO for a good reason and Rotax do not refurb cranks and similar."

- ABSOLUTE CRAP!

I would not say this is the case here because I do not know, but I would bet there are hundreds of two strokes that are touched up and flown well past their TBO just to save a buck.

- Not to mention the hundreds of GA aircraft out there running "on-condition." Until only last month there was no such as "on-condition" so who is operating more safely?

"Bit like some R22/44's that you get to read about from time to time."

- Almost every day!

Jabawocky
14th Aug 2007, 10:52
No NOT absolute crap at all. One or two of said fellows up here does have many thousands of hours on Rotax 2 strokes, but not the same one! He does his service and overhaul by the book. Funny he never has any problems.

So I stand by what I said.....its not absolute Crap at all.

Running on condition is another matter altogether. I am not sure there is any suitable way of knowing what On Condition is for these engines.

As for many GA a/c, I bet there are plenty that are not so flash in their history too. So its not me singling out anyone in particular.

have a look here, I am not saying the product is crap, because I think its very good for its intended purpose, but the TBO is what it is and the issue about what you can refurb or buy new is strictly controlled by Rotax.

http://www.rotax-aircraft-engines.com/a_engine_582.htm

whats that stamp with 300 there for??

Now go ask about refurbing the crank.

Still they make a great product. Dozens of them flying every weekend at my home field.

J

Howard Hughes
14th Aug 2007, 22:28
Seems to be a common occurrence among this class of aircraft!

Met a guy one time who had experienced 7 engine failures (resulting in off airfield landings) in his Rotax powered single seater!:eek:

The day I met him he had just installed a new engine in the aircraft and guess what? You guessed it, an engine failure on it's maiden flight! He sold the aircraft later that week to another 'enthusiast' at the field...;)

I am seriously considering the purchase of a LSA, but will probably go for something with a four stroke motor!:ok:

Ultralights
15th Aug 2007, 11:20
from what i have heard, it was a case of return to the airfield syndrome. though at YKAT, there arnt many options either way.

As for 2 stroke reliability, i have been flying with these for some time, (150hrs) and had not 1 engine failure on the rotax 503 in that time, nor a single missfire either.. the engine has been maintained by the book regardless of what others say about their TBO times and how they can be "extended" i would fly behind the 503 as confidently as i would a Jabiru or Lycoming.

from studying the manuals and engines, speaking to many other fellow flyers around the traps, the most common cause leading to failures in 2 strokes is temperatures exceeding their limits, most often EGT's, other common causes are clogged carby jets leading to excessive leaning out and problems associated with that. or simply not setting the jets to suite the altitude or weather conditions, again leading to heat issues,
from winter to summer, my 503 carby mixtures will have to be adjusted 2 or 3 times to ensure the EGT's remain in the green at all phases of flight.

bizzybody
15th Aug 2007, 12:03
well whateve the reason, It was quite dark when it happened.
Katoomba is not the place to be flying that late
Bizz

sprocket check
18th Aug 2007, 04:57
I was at YKAT earlier in the day, using 24. Not sure why he was using 06-I don't remember forecast, though the winds up there are often changing quickly. I guess he missed the powerlines at the end of the strip...

There really is nowhere to go in a situation like this.

speedy recovery and best wishes.

VH-XXX
18th Aug 2007, 07:45
Dr Oakenford you are WAY off the mark mate!

Recreational aircraft fly many thousands of hours and the "crash" rate is comparable to that of GA given the hours flown. Your comments "many ending in fataility" are also inaccurate when compared to GA. The crash rate for RA-Aus is the same comparably as it's been for many years. There are currently over 7,000 members who are mostly pilots and many hours flown.

One of the main problems is owner maintenance, particularly of 2-stroke's, but not limited to. The tendency is there to save a few dollars on maintenance, but this rarely ends in fatalities. Probably 95% of the 2-stroke's at any airfield have suffered an engine failure at some stage, but they are still in one piece! RA-Aus training emphasises action on engine failure and usually results in no damage to the aircraft or pilot. I wish GA training had a similar focus on engine failures in flight.