PDA

View Full Version : 30 day contact lenses

David Horn
12th Aug 2007, 13:44
Looks like I might need contact lenses or glasses, which I've never worn before. I'd like to avoid as much hassle as possible, so am looking at the 30 day contact lenses.

Does anyone have any experience with these, as there seems to be very little information on what they're like as they appear to be relatively new. Do you forsee any problems using these for flying?

They'll correct a very minor prescription (about .25D) so I won't need specs for close up work. I know I'll need one pair of glasses as a spare anyway, but this way I'm hoping I can avoid having to buy prescription sunglasses as well.

Cheers,

David.

soggyboxers
12th Aug 2007, 14:13
DH,

I wear varifocal contact lenses for flying and have done so for a few years now, without any problems. I used to wear the daily disposable ones, but for the last year or so, have been wearing the 30 day ones, which I take out at night. I find the 30 day lenses are easier to put in than the daily disposables, because they are a bit thicker and easier to handle. The great thing, as you have already mentioned, is that you can just buy a decent pair of normal sunglasses. I work in the tropics and find that another advantage is that I don't have my spectacle lenses misting up when I'm going through checklists before take off. I'd never go back to wearing normal spectacles for flying unless I had to.

Mohit_C
12th Aug 2007, 14:15
30 day contact lenses aren't anything new; I've been using them for over two years now. I personally don't know if they can be used for flying but I don't see any problem in using them (at least I would want to use them!).
About the problems using them, I guess you must try out a few different types of contacts (from different laboratories) until you find the ones that suit you. I had a problem because the ones I was using the laboratory stopped manufacturing and my optician had to go through 3-5 different ones and I still couldn't find one that was comfortable enough! Luckily they started making them again so I was relieved.
Basically, I think they're great and don't see any problem which would prevent you from using them whilst flying (you can even pass 30 days at times and they're still ok but they could start to itch).

Oh that's super!
13th Aug 2007, 09:16
David, I wear 30-day ones, the ones that can stay in for 30 days. Mine are Bausch & Lomb Pure Vision, and I have not had any trouble with them (I also go to sleep with them in on long-hail flights but I believe some people get dry eyes from doing that, which may be something for you to watch out for).

The best thing would be for you to see an optometrist and discuss your requirements.

Luke SkyToddler
13th Aug 2007, 10:15
I wear extended wear 30-day lenses on the airbus :8 (Ciba Vision Air Optix), been wearing then for about 7 years now and they're brilliant, just stick them in your eyes and forget about them for a month. Sometimes towards the end of the month they start to feel a bit dry, so you have to take them out and clean them, then just put them back in and they're good for another couple of weeks before you throw them out. Apart from that I just come home from work and fall into bed with them in, go swimming with them in, fly airbuses all day or sit in a smoke filled pub of an evening and no dry eyes, it's great. Would never ever go back to daily lenses.

Also tried the Bausch & Lomb extended wear lenses because they are a bit cheaper, but I found them to be a nightmare to be honest, much much thicker than the Ciba's and you really can feel you're wearing them, and they go really sticky and manky in your eyes after a couple of days so you have to take them out anyway.

I've got some prescription normal glasses of course that I have to keep in my flight case as backups (although never worn them in years) and you can of course wear any old sunglasses you like.

IRRenewal
14th Aug 2007, 08:21
They'll correct a very minor prescription (about .25D)I'd be surprised if .25D is going to get you a restriction on your medical. You should still be able to read the appropriate line on the chart without correction (which is not the bottom line on the chart or the manufacturer's address in even smaller print at the very bottom).

In that case, you will not get the 'shall wear corrective lenses and have spare set available' restriction on your medical. You might end up without a restriction at all, or maybe just the requirement to carry corrective lenses but no requirement to wear them.

If this is the case, I wouldn't bother with contacts at all. Just get a pair of specs, put them in your flight bag and get them out when you need them (ie when you're getting tired and it is getting a bit dark).

Oh that's super!
14th Aug 2007, 09:17
Luke, I haven't had any complaint about my Bausch & Lomb PureVision, but I had problems with Ciba Vision lenses before... I guess it shows individuals are all different...

David Horn
15th Aug 2007, 21:41
Thanks to everyone for their advice - I've retaken the test at Gatwick and scraped through. In bright light I have 6/5 in both eyes, but in the dark room they test in it drops to 6/7.5 in my right eye and 6/6 in my left. The key thing, of course, is that I no longer have the glasses limitation on the certificate. :)

Close thing though - thankfully, now I don't need corrective lenses to fly I probably won't go with contact lenses unless my eyesight deteriorates as I get older, but Adrian Chorley reccomended that I carry a pair of glasses just in case I feel I need them at night, which I'll do.

Can't rate the CAA highly enough... they've been so helpful over this, and squeezed me in for the repeat eye test with only 2 days notice.

Willows
17th Aug 2007, 16:30
I use Ciba Vision Air Optix too and they're fantastic indeed. Although it is so easy to put them in and forget about them, I occasionally (maybe once a week) take them out and wash them in the solution to stop protein build ups and to keep them clean and free from bacteria. You never know what nasty bugs are floating about and it's not worth the risk when it comes to your eyes.

I don't think I've been able to wear them continuously for 30 days however. Usually a few weeks after putting them in they start to get a bit blurry and sore at times. The bout of hay-fever this year didn't help either. I'd definitely take them over the daily disposables!

Navex77
18th Aug 2007, 07:11
Wearing contact lenses will make you feel 'free' when you're flying. But, dont forget to bring spare prescription glass when you fly. I have experience wearing contact lenses during my training but i have to stop wearing it because my eyes start to get irritated and feel uncomfortable. Flying at high altitude will make your eyes easy to dries out. Now, i wear 'Transition' glasses whenever i fly. :ok: