PDA

View Full Version : Jet2 Depressurisation

ClintonBaptiste
12th Aug 2007, 13:23
How come AEU and Easyjet depressurisation threads are on here, yet there is nothing about the Jet2 737-300 ( G-CEL?) which had to perform an emergency descent after one at 36000' ?

Just curious as to what procedures must be followed after an event of this sort? Do the CAA become involved or does it all remain in-house?

I'm led to believe (from several credible sources), that it was a problem with a cargo door, but I wouldn't have thought that would affect the passenger cabin or would it? Any answers would be appreciated.

ADC2604
12th Aug 2007, 14:58
Funny you should say that, I was only today reading in the media that a B733 travelling from Rome to Bucharest avoided an incident because a pet dog escaped from his box and jumped onto the taxiway (I think) causing the a/c to stop.

It turned out that a faulty cargo door was the problem and had the a/c climbed could have caused a decompression.......

G-BPED
12th Aug 2007, 15:20
The escaped dog story has been reported on PPRune ( thread link below )

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=287616

Regards,

G-BPED

llondel
12th Aug 2007, 16:17
How come AEU and Easyjet depressurisation threads are on here, yet there is nothing about the Jet2 737-300 ( G-CEL?) which had to perform an emergency descent after one at 36000' ?Perhaps the passengers weren't screaming in terror as the aircraft plunged 30,000ft? If so, no point in printing it in the papers because it won't help sell them. :}

I'm led to believe (from several credible sources), that it was a problem with a cargo door, but I wouldn't have thought that would affect the passenger cabin or would it? Any answers would be appreciated.Generally the whole aircraft is pressurised, so losing a cargo door puts a lot of downward stress on the cabin floor and, in the case of some aircraft (thinking DC10 here), will distort the floor and seize the control cables. running under it.

WAIF-er
12th Aug 2007, 18:08
from my brief spell as a baggage handler back in 2002, the 737 hold doors open inwards, unlike on many other aircraft that have hydraulic outward opening doors, ie A320, DC10. therefore they cannot burst open and cause a rapid decompression.

Mr.Brown
12th Aug 2007, 18:35
the 737 hold doors open inwards, unlike on many other aircraft that have hydraulic outward opening doors, ie A320, DC10. therefore they cannot burst open and cause a rapid decompression
From what I heard it wasn't rapid, just a loss of pressurization. A suspect cargo door seal.

glad rag
12th Aug 2007, 18:36
Latch mechanism or plain old door seal failure could cause it without significant door movement.

DID YOU KNOW

That on the buccaneer aircraft flying at high speed/low level a canopy seal failure would raise cabin altitude to +7000' (not that I ever experienced it of course :hmm:)

amazing that.

glad rag

eastern wiseguy
12th Aug 2007, 19:41
Please tell me if I am wrong,but ,if it was one of the QC models wouldn't a problem with that BIG "door" in the side maybe prompt a rapid descent?

The_Steed
13th Aug 2007, 14:40
@EasternWiseguy

Beat me to it - I suspect the Cargo door in question would be the rather large one in the passenger cabin.

Mr.Brown
13th Aug 2007, 15:10
From what I understand it was the aft cargo door under the Pax cabin.

HiflierEK
13th Aug 2007, 17:56
it was the cargo door that caused the problem , it was a slow decompression not rapid but as the aircraft was over mountains (pyrenees?) it was unable to descend quickly enough causing the mask to drop in the cabin, crew were well aware it was going to happen and were on portable oxygen before the cabin oxygen dropped. the situation was managed professionally and calmly by all involved , aircraft diverted to BCN. it was G-CELU.

Smudger
13th Aug 2007, 20:54
Thank you Jet2.com, although I fly for Jet2 I still don't know who you are but yours was the only informed contribution to this thread. Why do the rest of you bother? If you don't know what you are on about then leave it alone. However I suppose this is a RUMOUR network after all so I suppose I can't whinge. Just give it a rest...

eastern wiseguy
13th Aug 2007, 22:13
Smudger

Not a pilot ATC since 1978. I posted out of genuine interest and the chance to LEARN a little.Maybe I shoud wind my neck in next time you have a problem on approach?

Mr.Brown
14th Aug 2007, 07:20
As a result of this, all Jet2 B737's now restricted (by the company) to FL260 until a pressurization confidence check carried out on each aircraft.
This is a costly and time consuming task right at the peak of summer ops.
Is safety paramount for Jet2 management or is the illusion of safety paramount?

cirrus01
14th Aug 2007, 07:39
Single pack confidence check doesn't take that long ........usually about an hour..............what really takes the time is fixing all the leaks which you invariaby find :(

Mr.Brown
14th Aug 2007, 12:04
what really takes the time is fixing all the leaks which you invariaby find
And of course trying to find the parts.

WAIF-er
14th Aug 2007, 17:52
Smudger,

do you "fly" mainly in the forward or rear galley?

I too am a mere ATCO at a regional airport that i will not name as your beloved airline operates from there.
Your attitude towards contributors is not what I would call CRM. If one of your lowly crew members comes to you with a suggestion to a problem, do you rubbish their contributions and attempt to put them back in their place?

However, on reflection, you are not too dissimilar to other employees in your company, which is obviously how you got the job in the first place. :ugh:

many people who read (or sadly used to read) these forums have a lot of mixed experience to share with the rest of us. Although I can see that some responses, mine included, were loosely connected with the subject, you have been a member for 6 years now and should know the score.

Its idiots like you that make me and many others think WHY THE HELL DO I BOTHER:mad:

Smudger
14th Aug 2007, 20:30
WAIF-er :- OK, I'm sorry, I was just a little tired when I posted, I shouldn't have posted without thinking more about what I committed to print. I apologise. However , I am not an idiot, and resent myself, my company and my fellow employees being insulted on a public forum. As a professional pilot of more than 35 years experience (military and civil) I have always had the deepest respect for the ATC community and you do them no favours. I will certainly think twice before launching into print again. This is the last you will hear from me on this thread.
Eastern Wiseguy, equally I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset anybody. I know that if I have a problem in the future I will be served handsomely by whoever is on duty in ATC at the time (as has happened in the past). I'm just tired of listening to all the Jet2 bashers out there and I guess I over-reacted. I'll shut up now!

AltFlaps
16th Aug 2007, 07:41
Guys,

Can anyone tell me exactly where this flight departed from and on what date the incident occured ?
The company I work for (also 737-300s) had an almost identical incident about 3 weeks ago ... cargo door seal (rear hold) was blown outwards ...

Thanks in advance

AF