PDA

View Full Version : Qantas cadet scheme - commercial

Mr Bomb
12th Aug 2007, 05:55
I am looking at a career change and have just completed my commercial licence and am about halfway through my instructor rating. I am 33 years old and thought that I would never have a chance at the airlines due to my age at airline flying, having missed the age/experience boat. However with the current "change" in numbers of pilots available and some evidence of older pilots actually getting a look in with some airlines I decided to take a look at what might be available.

Anyway one of the things I am looking at is the Qantas cadet scheme commercial scheme where you can already hold a commercial licence as long as you don't hold a PIFR or MECIR ( obviously assuming you pass the testing/entrance exams etc). My question is, will it affect me if I hold an instructors rating? I have just over 400 hours with about 50 twin time, however this has been all private flying / training.

Just looking to see if anyone here knows, my next port of call will be Qantas themselves to ask, but thought someone here may has some info.

(And please I do not want to get into the value or otherwise of the scheme, I am simply looking at ALL options currently available to me).

Cheers
Mr Bomb

fly true
12th Aug 2007, 10:50
mr bomb,

An instructor rating will not disqualify you from the cadet scheme.

At 33 years of age I think you would be at a disadvantage to other candidates however you should still make an application.

togs737
12th Aug 2007, 11:24
Hey guys,

You can now hold an instrument rating for the cadetship.

Good luck Mr bomb!

Kind regards,

Nick

Paul Alfred
12th Aug 2007, 11:27
Also dont let age be a factor..there was a 34 yr old graduate last year :ok:
Regards, PA.

*Lancer*
12th Aug 2007, 14:45
MUNT, actually togs737 is correct - website to be updated.

Good luck Mr Bomb.

Mr Bomb
12th Aug 2007, 22:01
Gentlemen (I assume!),
Thank you very much for the replies. Interesting on the CIR changes. Won't do that until I actually see it in writing, but I guess it is a sign of the times that QANTAS may be cutting out a few potential recuits particularly if people do an integrated course that also offers a MECIR.

Anyway will look into it further. Thanks for the replies.

Cheers
Mr Bomb

Paul Alfred
12th Aug 2007, 22:53
Be mindful that although they will NOW except applicants with a MECIR, they still expect you to do the training for it all over again.....I asked that question at the info night and they said it would be good for those who did the MECIR a while ago to brush up on their skills. So I guess basically you will be paying to do it all over again even though you already have it :confused:

PA

puma4319
13th Aug 2007, 02:06
I was wondering what training the QC2's would do if they already had their IR other than the in house ATPL exams. Thanks for answering that though PA, but that seems a bit ridiculous to pay for an MECIR if you already have one. Is it the WHOLE training again? I hope not... :ugh:

Icarus53
13th Aug 2007, 02:12
Not quite but close - the oldest graduate from last year's course was 32 (graduated early this year), and a 30 year old who graduated from level 2 last August. This year's course has a 32yo and I think an 18yo too.

If you've decided that it's the way you want to go, I say you've got the same chance as everyone. They're not shopping for a "one size fits all; straight out of the mould; should be this high to enter" candidate - they're after quality. I suggest that your additional maturity and other skills you have picked up along the way will help set you apart from the Uni students and school leavers. Of course, maturity and self confidence are not the whole picture, so you'd want to have other strengths to bring to the table.

Good luck with it - wherever you find yourself!

Paul Alfred
13th Aug 2007, 04:46
That was the answer they gave me Puma but you never know...this has only just been released about accepting the MECIR candidates so they are probably still working through the logistics of it all....to charge you again for something you have done already, seems ridiculous :rolleyes:

PA

puma4319
13th Aug 2007, 06:28
You're right PA, it is absolutley ridiculous. But i guess we will just have to wait and see...still good news that they are looking at MECIR candidates now

good luck Mr Bomb! :ok:

training wheels
13th Aug 2007, 06:36
mr bomb,

An instructor rating will not disqualify you from the cadet scheme.

I could never work out why an instrument rating disqualified you from the cadet scheme. One would have thought that having an MECIR should be advantages for the candidate? The mind boggles!

training wheels
13th Aug 2007, 06:39
Be mindful that although they will NOW except applicants with a MECIR, they still expect you to do the training for it all over again.....I asked that question at the info night and they said it would be good for those who did the MECIR a while ago to brush up on their skills. So I guess basically you will be paying to do it all over again even though you already have it :confused:
PA

Where's the logic in that? If you weren't up to standard the first time, then you shouldn't have been issued with the MECIR in the first place?

Icarus53
13th Aug 2007, 07:50
to charge you again for something you have done already, seems ridiculous

It's not just the MECIR - if you've sat any of the exams (ATPL and IREX for level 2, BAK and on for level 1), then you still have to attend all the training for those subjects (and pay for it). Only difference is you don't have to resit the CASA exam itself.

tubby one
13th Aug 2007, 11:01
Hey Guys,
simple point - if you don't like the rules, play in another game. If you want to go through the cadet scheme you do it to the requirements set down, if you don't but do have the 'quals' then get the hours and apply direct. After all you are seeking to join the company through a very specific pathway and like it or not the white rodent is the one setting the rules. and NO I don't work for them.:p

*Lancer*
15th Aug 2007, 02:58
If you're going to be employed with reduced experience, it seems reasonable for an employer to directly verify, and participate in the quality of your training, doesn't it?

training wheels
15th Aug 2007, 04:20
If you're going to be employed with reduced experience, it seems reasonable for an employer to directly verify, and participate in the quality of your training, doesn't it?

Ok, point taken ... :)

It's not just the MECIR - if you've sat any of the exams (ATPL and IREX for level 2, BAK and on for level 1), then you still have to attend all the training for those subjects (and pay for it). Only difference is you don't have to resit the CASA exam itself.

Do you still have to resit the CPL and MECIR flight test for those choosing the Commercial path and already have the MECIR?

Icarus53
15th Aug 2007, 04:28
No idea on the MECIR as they haven't taken qualified pilots on the scheme before (to my knowledge). If you already hold a CPL, then you go in Level 2 and you don't do any CPL training/flight test - start from MECIR.

I believe that guys with PPL/GFPT who go on the Level 1 course still sit the flight test for that licence as it is conducted by a QANTAS appointed ATO - therefore you are being examined to their standard and they can rate you against the rest of the course and against their expectations. Not 100% on this but I think it's the way it goes.

This would suggest that you would sit the MECIR on future courses even if ou had the rating (and you need renewals anyway, so why wouldn't they require you to conduct a renewal with their ATO).

biggles7374
15th Aug 2007, 16:17
I think the re-training is required because they teach you in line with the Qantas SOP's so whilst it is the same exam i think the training will be more tailored to their specifi organisation.

That is how it works at some of the bigger schools in the UK anyway!!

Regards

Andy

training wheels
15th Aug 2007, 21:38
(and you need renewals anyway, so why wouldn't they require you to conduct a renewal with their ATO).
Yes, that makes sense. Thank you for the info. :ok:

*Lancer*
16th Aug 2007, 02:50
Commercial (old level 2) cadets still do a CPL flight test as part of the selection process. There might still be some old threads discussing what was involved in the past.

The Kavorka
16th Aug 2007, 07:31
My advice.....

Don't go via the cadet scheme.....(a pack of snotty nose rich kids who think their **** does not stink)

Plenty of ops in GA now to get you where you want to go quickly!!!

Icarus53
16th Aug 2007, 12:56
:=Clearly a well informed opinion. You can spot an open mind a mile away.