PDA

View Full Version : Indulgence Flights

fantaman
12th Aug 2007, 00:14
Just wondered if anyone had used the system and how it actually worked. I've tried to get a hold of the guys at BZN to ask them but no luck so far.

One of the lads has just been posted to Vegas and we're planning on visiting him next year. Can you book the Washington trooper and use that as an indulgence flight? I understand Virgin have ten seats reserved on every outbound and inbound flight for the MOD, they are then released two days prior to the flight for general sale to the public.

Anyone have any info? Quite happy to be corrected if any of the above is wrong :ok:

AT Mov
12th Aug 2007, 05:52
Indulgence is not offered on that flight.

Ginger Beer
12th Aug 2007, 06:01
That's about the level of service we've come to expect from a mover.

No, can't be done.................

Not Sorry Mate unable to help with that one but this is how it works and this is what you need to do to get the most out of the system.

Just answer the question or poke off the forum.

'kin typical

Ginge

Seldomfitforpurpose
12th Aug 2007, 06:30
Fanta,

Whilst indulgence sounds like a very cheap option for what you are trying to do the prospect for failure with all the current constraints in the AT world are extremely high, without even factoring in the TG that administer the indulgence system :eek:

I recently flew to Vegas with Virgin for not a huge bag of money, excellent service and the guarantee that barring a huge disaster the flight will go and you will have a seat on it with no danger that Major Chumley-Warner-Smythe and his group of chinless wonders will simply have you bumped off the flight at the very last minute.

BEagle
12th Aug 2007, 06:40
Yes, indulgence can be risky and leave you with a hefty bill if you get bumped...

Can't see anything wrong with the clear reply from AT Mov - so Ginger Beer, your rudeness is unhelpful and misplaced. Take first the mote from thine own eye, I would moot!

Try looking at www.opodo.co.uk (http://www.opodo.co.uk) for flights to LAS; as an example, I looked at 2-8 Mar 2008 and found a flight for around £420. With Air India and 'other airlines'. www.ebookers.com (http://www.ebookers.com) found one for £670 with Iberia. Choose your dates carefully and book at the right moment and £400-600 should be possible.

AT Mov
12th Aug 2007, 07:23
It is not available because it is not a RAF flight, just a seat charter. We pay full fare for each seat used, we are not going to flog the seats off cheap but pay full fare to Virgin are we!

There are NO REGULAR INDULGENCE flights to the USA. Such flights that do go there tend to be on ops or exercises, space is at a premium. Flights that carry any kind of DAC are not available to indulgies.

Indulagence is for a serving members, their spouse and children.

The original question stated 'one of the lads is posted....' does not sound eligible anyway.

splitbrain
12th Aug 2007, 07:56
AT Mov - 'messenger found dead on doorstep.'

Ginger Beer
12th Aug 2007, 08:35
Beags old boy,

I'm afraid it's your problem not ours that you're unable to identify the problem with the original reply:ugh:

Ginge

Mr C Hinecap
12th Aug 2007, 10:10
Mr Beer - methinks you need a hug. The answer was succinct, clear and gave enough information. You must really deserve gilt-edged service every time you are forced to fly as pax rather than crew with your warm and approachable character.

fantaman
12th Aug 2007, 11:54
Cheers for the replies chaps, got all the info I needed thanks to the prune!

Indulagence is for a serving members, their spouse and children.

The original question stated 'one of the lads is posted....' does not sound eligible anyway.

The lad who has been posted is in the RAF, I'm in the RAF and the other lad that would be coming out is in the RAF. Sounds like we would all be eligible for an indulgence flight.

Probably right tho, I'd probably be safer with a flight with Virgin or BA in the long run.

Thanks folks :ok:

groveaviation
12th Aug 2007, 12:09
Tbh, I'd try and scrape the cash together for a commercial fare. I've considered indulging many times, but the idea of volunteering to put myself through the self serving disgrace that is BZN is just a none starter.

'We will be boarding the aircraft in rank order, so could any LAC movers please make their way forward'.

AT Mov
12th Aug 2007, 15:26
SNC Applications are vetted you know! Going week A and returning week C tend to indicate a holiday between, funny enough these get rejected!:ugh:

whowhenwhy
12th Aug 2007, 15:41
AT Mov, are we still able to indulge down to MPA then? My family used it with no snags a few years back and may be faced with the prospect again soon. Cheers :ok:

AT Mov
12th Aug 2007, 15:46
Yep, MPA is still open to the families of those down there, AKT also, but to be honest, these are the only routes with any real chance of a trip at the mo.

We do offer other 'cheap packages' but these involve slightly longer 'holidays'.

fantaman
12th Aug 2007, 16:33
Excuse my ignorance but what is SNC?

AT Mov
12th Aug 2007, 16:38
SNC = Supernumerary Crew

D-IFF_ident
12th Aug 2007, 17:33
Has anybody had any luck with "Space A" with the USAF? I've heard that it can be done; if one can find the right people to talk to. Pers on Exchange are certainly elligible, but rumour has it, so can other MOD pers.

whowhenwhy
12th Aug 2007, 18:43
TVM, hoped that would be the case!

Green Flash
13th Aug 2007, 09:19
D-IFF

I believe space-A is avbl, but you will be at the back of the queue and if ANYONE from the cleaner to the Base Commander is having a bad morning you will be bumped off pronto. If you can get a US sponsor so much the better. As much paperwork as possible; 1250/passport/NATO travel chit, don't know about any visa. I've never done it but even my USAF friend is having trouble getting space-A for mid tour leave in the States. I don't thinks it the easy route but you might be lucky. Best go commercial methinks.