PDA

View Full Version : IREX exam with Jeppesen Doc ??

snrub
11th Aug 2007, 22:51
Hi evreyone,
Just after a bit of info on doing the CASA IREX exam with Jeppessen Docs. I have had a bit of experience with Jepp Plates in the past in a practical sense ( overseas ) but not their AIP I was wondering if I was giving myself a headache trying to sit my exam with them most of the text books seem to be orientated towards the Airservices stuff
the reason I ask is because I want to use Jepps again in the real world after the exam but dont want to buy both if I can help it.
Any advice will be much appreciated.

rotcivtolip
12th Aug 2007, 02:10
I sat the IREX with Jeps, no problem at all. I used the Bob Tait book which included Jep references, so I could tag the pages. ;)

Cap'n Arrr
12th Aug 2007, 03:16
Shouldn't have any worries, but make sure you know what a shaded grey minima means on an AIP chart, and your ENR charts wont match up to the numbers in the question (refer ENR chart X), so as long as you have a pretty good idea where the airports are, or at least look them up in an ERSA you won't have any dramas. Also you might be asked about "what does this symbol mean?", usually a reporting point symbol, and there are a couple of differences between JEPP and AIP, so it probably wouldn't hurt to have an AIP ENR chart just for the legend on it.:ok:

snrub
12th Aug 2007, 04:20
Thanks for that info I think I may stick it out with the Jepps then. Only one last question then. Will the actual questions in the exam have any reference to Jepp chart Nos etc or will I need a good geographical knowlege going in. Once again thanks.

777WakeTurbz
12th Aug 2007, 06:48
I went halfway between and used the Jepps Approach plates and ERCs, but i used the AIPs in place of the Jepps version because i found them easier to navigate.

And as lon as you can interpret the Jepps plates and know the differences then you shouldnt have any trouble, i had the same problem when studying my IREX, my Bob Tait study guide was giving examples from the DAPs so i just had to make sure i knew where the info was, for instance Alt Minima etc...

Good Luck

Turbz :ok:

newagebird
12th Aug 2007, 07:10
in reply to your question abt a good geographic understanding and jep charts, i did the exam a week ago and had to use my ersa for the lat long to work out which area the aerodrome was. they seem to like dubbo, kalgoorlie and cooma-snowy mountains so you can find out where they are.
best of luck
newagebird

AerocatS2A
12th Aug 2007, 09:37
I did the IREX with Jepps, no problems, well I passed it anyway.

As far as getting the right chart, I found it easiest to use the Aus Planning Chart (PCA,) all of the aerodromes you're likely to get asked about are on the index so you can find out where it is on the map and then get the proper Jepp chart.

QSK?
13th Aug 2007, 00:54
Correct me if I'm wrong (been a while since I did my IREX) but I think somewhere in the exam, it gives a warning that Jepps are OK but if there is a discrepancy between Jepps and DAPs, then DAPs data shall apply.

Is that still the case?

snrub
5th Oct 2007, 21:26
After posting the original thread to this subjuct I thought It was only approriate to follow up for anyone with future Q,s on this subjet. I ended up sitting the exam with a mixture of ASA and Jepp, I used ASA AIPs CAO and one ENR chart for map legend and all other material was Jepp. As many others said be aware of slight differences but a little ground work will find that the problem is not to hard to overcome. To all who posted replys thank you happy with my result and good luck to future candidates. :O