PDA

View Full Version : The camera doesn't lie...

Nige321
11th Aug 2007, 20:59
...or does it...
Mossies... (http://www.k4.dion.ne.jp/~suppon/airplane/dws/merlins.mpg)
:eek:

Noah Zark.
11th Aug 2007, 21:02
Dunno. I can't get the link to open.

Saab Dastard
11th Aug 2007, 21:19
Cool! :ok:

I expect to see de Cadenet saying "F*** me" after the low passes, though! ;)

SD

Nige321
11th Aug 2007, 21:22
The link is direct to a quicktime movie.
Try here (http://www.k4.dion.ne.jp/~suppon/) for the holding page - click on 'Merlins'
N

wiccan
11th Aug 2007, 22:42
Very nice....but the Tail Light on the landing mossie is a bit "bright" aka suspect. A teriffic example of CGI.....:D
bb

Georgeablelovehowindia
12th Aug 2007, 13:47
The sound isn't right at all. For example, where's the characteristic crackle and pop as the engines are throttled back for landing? :hmm:

As an ex-Booker inhabitant of the Neil Williams/Ray Hanna era, I've heard quite a few Merlins, both on the Spitfire and the Mosquito.

stevef
12th Aug 2007, 14:41
The sound would obviously be a simple fix if these sequences were to be incorporated into a film. I think the graphics are marvellous - imagine the (cinematic) Battle of Britain with MkII Spits, DB-engined Me109Es & He111s, Me110s, Ju88s, Do217s etc.
How about resurrected Stirlings, Halifaxes, Battles, Hampdens, He177s, He162s, Tempests...
Good work, chaps!

Riverboat
15th Aug 2007, 21:23
Brilliant!

Akubra
16th Aug 2007, 14:31
I found this short film about the test pilots who endeavored to break the sound barrier.
I actually thought some video scenes cut from another famous movie, but no, just really well made.
It stars Keir Dullea (2001, A Space Odyssey) and won best film for production and post production at the Digital Media Awards this year.
Its free to download or play via flash. I recommended the 720p version as it is very well made and shows it at its best. (Bandwidth permitting)
Runs for 10 minutes and is contains 5 minutes of CGI effects.

http://www.alonelysky.com/

Enjoy!

ABUKABOY
20th Aug 2007, 16:13
GeorgeAbleLoveHowIndia, quite right! Also as an ex-Booker inhabitant of the Neil Williams/Ray Hanna era, I too knows me Merlins! Dub on the correct sounds, and you've got CGI perfection here. Quite amazing.
Nearest I ever got, 'cos I was a fledgling pilot and just happened to be around that day, was to sit in the cockpit of Adrian Swire's MkIX at the end of the hardstanding by Bianchi's hangar at Booker, tail well and truly lashed down, and do some carefully briefed engine-running with the cowlings off, while one of his mechanics did some fine-tuning on the carb.
So near yet so far, but a fine abiding memory!

ex-EGLL
20th Aug 2007, 18:19
Talking of Booker and Merlins, I was an AFISO in the tower there back in the late 70's (before real ATC arrived). There was an old(ish) guy there called Burt (Bert?) who used to work on the pumps and do odd jobs around the apron. Scared the sh*t out of me one day when he jumped in a spitfire, taxied out and flew a few circuits.
Anyone know what happened to him?
ex-egll

PPRuNe Pop
20th Aug 2007, 20:03
You refer to the great, and remarkable, Bert Goodchild.

A WW2 Spitfire pilot who was about 53 (I think) when I first met him 1976, he 'worked' for Doug Bianchi and naturally enough Doug let him fly the Spitfire that belonged, at that time, to Patrick Lindsay. Bert would give a brilliant display and people, like you, were also somewhat surprised to see this elderly gentleman drop down from the wing in his favourite green overalls after such a display. I recall one of the best displays I saw from him at Goodwood in 1977. It was pure magic.

He could, or course, fly almost everything that Doug had at Booker, including a beautiful Lysander. Best bit was then that Bert knew EXACTLY how to handle it's Mercury engine - few others could.

A lovely unassuming man who was a pleasure to be around and I thank you for reminding me of him.

Perhaps we met at Booker. I was flying the WW1 replicas of Leisure Sport then. I also had an Islander G-BDWG which I flew in a series for London Weekend TV. Small world innit?

PPP