PDA

View Full Version : Meadowhall (Sheffield, UK) Helipad

JTobias
11th Aug 2007, 19:04
Hi All,

I flew into Sheffield City airport today and en route noticed that Meadowhall Shopping centre has a Helipad. When I mentioned this at the airport I was told that it's only available to Twin engined machines. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I'll ring them on Monday to find out but I was wondering if anyone knows. I can't see any good reason to preclude SE Helis' - there's plenty of open space around in the event of an engine failure and as far as I can see there are good entry/exit routes to stay within rule 5 etc.

psyan
11th Aug 2007, 19:23
There is a rule governing the use imposed by the city council. The remainder of your post says it all really. I'd be interested to discover what you consider to be good entry/exit routes. I have been flying over that place for the last 4 years and have yet to discover a 'good' entry / exit. [Don't forget to keep well clear of the M1]

muffin
11th Aug 2007, 19:52
I find it hard to imagine anybody actually wanting to go there!

helicopter-redeye
11th Aug 2007, 20:06
There are some Belgian ladies who regularly fly in to shop there (but they have the shopping chromosome and a nice jet).

The area at Meadowhall is owned by the site hence they will impose the rules but that pad has been there for a long time. It is a Perf Group A Helipad for commercial purposes and actually very enclosed despite what it may look like from above.

The council have imposed the rules for the use of the airport, hence please try to follow them, else they have good reason to complain and complaints mean closure.

Helinut
11th Aug 2007, 22:28
JT,

As well as the council's rules, I suggest you check the CAA's Rules of the Air too. Sounds like it may require you to fly over a congested area. Tricky to land without being less than 1,000 feet above buildings etc

JTobias
11th Aug 2007, 22:46
Thanks all,
I visited it (the Shopping Centre) today (after landing at Sheff City and taking a taxi) and compared to my local which is the Trafford Centre in Manchester, it's nowhere near as good, but never the less it would make for a good afternoon out and is another "£100 Burger opportunity".

In terms of entry exit lanes, you have to overfly the same route to enter EGSY as you would to make an approach into the Meadowhall site site so it's "good" in that respect - O.K. I haven't actually flown into it, so the challenges may yet to be seen.

As far as the congested area is concerned, I reckon, you could get in there SAFELY, and stay within Rule 5 etc - but that is my current opinion after studying it on Google Earth - (In all honestly it took me about 5 minutes to realise how close the M1 was - I was zooming in and out so the M1 just faded into the topography).

When I flew over it today I was making my approach into EGSY and spotted it by chance and therefore I didn't have any time to consider how I might do it in practise.

I'll take a look again the next time I go into Sheff City - which to be honest was absoluteley excellent - friendly, fast, convenient, clean and tidy - a bloody credit actually - that apart from me liking to notch up new landing sites there would be no reason not to go in there anyway..

Thanks a bunch for your replies.

Efirmovich
13th Aug 2007, 07:41
Correct, there would be no reason to vist Meadow Hell ! Although,,,,,,,,,,,Helicopter Red-Eye, You dont happen to have the phone no for the Belgian ladies do you ????? :ok:

E.