PDA

View Full Version : Article from Panama: Personnel shortage

Panama Jack
11th Aug 2007, 14:56
Looks like COPA is suffering the consequences of low pay, poor conditions with many of it's pilots having left for various Asian countries. COPA is now said to be looking to recruit 84 pilots, a major drive given the size of the company. In the mean time, Panamanian ATC suffers personnel shortages also. Intesting times in Latin America. :ok:

Escasez de personal afecta a la aviación

Panamá se ha convertido en uno de los principales aeropuertos de América Latina; y Copa Airlines, a la par, en una de las principales líneas aéreas del continente.

Pero el crecimiento de 15% registrado este año en el flujo de pasajeros del aeropuerto de Tocumen, 1.2 millón de personas entre enero y abril, ha traído inconvenientes que causan preocupación tanto a pilotos como a controladores.

Además, ha habido una fuga de personal hacia la India y otros países, explican varias fuentes del sector. Por eso, en Copa, por ejemplo, a los pilotos experimentados se les está sobrecargando el trabajo y los nuevos están llegando con menos horas de vuelo.

La compañía Copa Airlines emitió un comunicado ayer en el cual señala que se está en proceso de reclutar a 84 pilotos más para suplir el movimiento de 126 vuelos diarios y 42 destinos en todo el continente americano.

Leslie Miranda, vicepresidente de la Asociación Panameña de Controladores, explicó que hay una fluida relación con la administración para atender este y otros problemas.

Fuente: www.prensa.com

PTY_girl
12th Aug 2007, 15:57
Uff!! 84 pilots!! Last time I heard there were 25 pilots that left out of the blue...from where comes the need of 84 more? Sorry, maybe I've just been out of date with my fellow panamanians.
Althou, it was quite easy to see it comming. The only reason why so many didn't left before was because, in comparison to other airlines in Panama (Aeroperlas, Mapiex, etc) Copa is the best. But I do agree, the treatment can be appealing sometimes.

allatp
13th Aug 2007, 04:26
The thing is the salary and benefits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If they paid more, I would even go to Copa for a job.
I'm making the same money here flying a turboprop.

AA

baires
13th Aug 2007, 17:13
Hello,

I was in Central America trying to get a job but there was nothing for me....I´d like to know if a brazilian/salvadoran with brazilian and salvadoran CPL with 500 hrs has a chance to get in Copa...i´d like to live in panama great country....just don´t know a way to reach the right persons