PDA

View Full Version : Emirates application...

bushcat400
11th Aug 2007, 13:10
After the slap in the face...I have had enough. Attempting to complete the EK app but having some tech issues with the Career History section. My previous airlines are not listed...try typing them into the other airline section...but the on-line won't accept it. Anyone else having this issue? providing anyone else has ventured to apply to EK that is ...Any help appreciated. :ok:

badairsucker
11th Aug 2007, 14:18
Mate, keep us informed of your application. Still thinking weather too apply myself....

AAIGUY
11th Aug 2007, 15:10
I selected "other" when I did mine IIRC..

canonball1
11th Aug 2007, 23:48
ARE YOU MAD! You would have to be desperate to fly in that stinkhole. The issues are the same and the girls just smell more!! Nepatism everywhere and miles from a decent cafe.

CV Donator
12th Aug 2007, 01:07
What and Hong Kong is not a stink hole!

Saturn
12th Aug 2007, 04:01
SPoke to a fleet manager recently. They are still taking DEC's. I have also found a sneaky way to get in if the DEC thing stops on the 777, A330, A340. Still waiting to hear from him if they are in fact coming to HKG. He also said Dubai is getting much better and another big order of airplanes is coming. I am not going to sit in the right seat or on the freighter for another 7+ years.
Thank you CX for the real great training and making me more than qualified for a widebody LEFT SEAT. HEY, I JUST CAT A'd MYSELF.:}

SMOC
12th Aug 2007, 07:32
Personal Training file adjustments, now we're talking, c'mon Emirates have an open day in HK!

sizematters
12th Aug 2007, 08:24
why an Open day in HKG, when I did mine I got a reply and interview date within 72 hours, ticket from home port to DXB and back plus Accomodation............

Just waiting for confirmation of course date (Short course 777 DEC)

then bye bye .......................

BMM389EC
12th Aug 2007, 08:50
Sizematters, they must've asked why you want to leave CX for EK? How'd you approach that one? Cheers.

sizematters
12th Aug 2007, 08:54
this was prior to COS 08 offer, so told them CX is 55 retirement and I am approaching that age, why should I work on at CX on reduced Terms and conditions as a 3rd class citizen with no increments, provvy fund, etc etc Told them EK at least I would be a "Normal" Employee like everyone else, I would get yearly increments, provvy fund, Health insurance, loss of Licence etc etc...........................

XCX-SOHAPPY
12th Aug 2007, 09:11
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/internet/cxinternet/image/en/graphics/n_rhodes.jpg

Doesn't EK pay less than Cathay?

SMOC
12th Aug 2007, 09:18
Sizematters, I want to see how many people from CX turn up!

badairsucker
12th Aug 2007, 14:42
Nice one sizematters, good luck.

I am thinking that EK are going to be real busy interviewing CX drivers. How did you find the interview process???

Cheers.

donpizmeov
12th Aug 2007, 15:40
Fellas,

Not trying to rain to any parades here, but do you really think you will be better off at EK than you are at CX? Yes the commands are now happening at 3yrs for the Boeing and 4.5yrs for the Airbus, but will that be the same for a new joiner?
At profit share announcement time a few months ago, the big cheese stated that we were to have 156 aircraft in the fleet by 2012. At the time we had 90 aircraft in the PAX fleet. So by my calcs that would mean time to command is on the increase. There is a rumour that a large order will be made at the DXB airshow, but with all the 332s, 343s, 345s, 772s and 773s up for replacement, I am not sure how many will be additional aircraft. Of course we also hire DECs to fill available command slots as well.
Take a peek at the mid east forum, search the flight duty times at EK for example, and consider if you are willing for the change.
Of course you will not need to ever worry about any union making deals on your behalf etc, as we have no representation, and are told our worth each May.
It would seem that Bean counters are universally uniting to reduce our lifestyles and life expectancies world wide. Ek suffers from the same Sh@t as any other airline. I guess the main difference between EK and CX is the sand and killer traffic, instead of the crowds and pollution.

Good luck.

Don

jtr
12th Aug 2007, 15:57
http://www.pprune.org/aads/sigmar_aviation_06.gif

aislinn
12th Aug 2007, 16:03
I just did the numbers this evening and from what I have figure out I would be 10k US ahead before HK tax. Profiso, DEC.

XCX-SOHAPPY
12th Aug 2007, 16:08
I wonder though if CX will "make a few phone calls" to EK to stop guys from jumping ship?

A mate of mine who got sacked from CX, interviewed at EK and was promptly told to p*ss off after CX bad mouthed him on the employment check. He ended up at EK anyway but not after doing EZJet for a few years in the left seat.

Numero Crunchero
13th Aug 2007, 00:20
Another rumour for you. I have heard that in an effort to obtain experienced pilots EK are selectively offering to match paypoint of your previous airline. So if you were on career point 10 in a previous airline they will match it on the FO scale - and you still get 3% increments after that.

So with no prior experience, you would get say $6.4K US/month tax free (or $60K in HKD pretax terms). If you were on career point 10 you would get $8.2K US/month (or $76K in HKD pretax returns). I have ignored profit share and ERP. With ERP the HK equivalent numbers become $64K and $81K in year 1/10.

Market forces?

sirhcttarp
13th Aug 2007, 03:32
NC, Just curious as to what exchange rate you are using? Or am i missing something?

Numero Crunchero
13th Aug 2007, 04:01
OK,
I did too many comparisons in a short space.

$6,400US is the amount tax free you get which is a good reference number for some US based guys that have PM'ed me asking for comparisons between CX UFO and EK. They won't get ERP if they join EK as it is a US pegged currency.

Now for someone else(aussie, canuck, pom, kiwi) considering EK you need to include ERP as they are paying 7.5% of salary. Additionally, in HKG we pay 16% tax so to compare CX with EK you either have to look at CX salary post tax or increase EK salary to be equivalent to CX salary. SInce I am posting here on the Fragrant Harbour and not the middle east forum I decided to use CX as the ref point.

$6,440US = $50,220HK
ERP = $3,340HK

Total tax free salary $53,560
divide that number by (1-16%tax) and you get
$63,760.

That last number is the one you need to compare with CX salarys.

Clearer this time?

BlunderBus
13th Aug 2007, 08:39
actually we pay 16% for this year and 75% of next years tax UP FRONT..provisionally sooooo...for you're working life here it's more like 25% annual tax until the year you actually leave.

ACMS
13th Aug 2007, 09:23
Not really sure I understand you, this year my tax bill ( including provisional ) is near as damn it 16% of my total taxable earnings. You cannot say Provisional puts up your tax to 25% each year.
You took a hit in the first few years at CX, then a few hits later on when they underestimated your provisional, but on the whole they get it pretty close and it's about 16%.

EK_Bus Driver
14th Aug 2007, 17:04
Guys, please have another read of Don's Post - page 1 ( #15), it is very accurate and (unfortunately) It's all very true.

I have some good friends in Cathay and Dragon. Over quite a few dinners and the odd drink or 3 we have compared notes over the years. I have come to the conclusion that the grass is not "Greener" simply another shade of Brown!

Remember what Emirates stands for?
E - English
M - Managed
I - Indian
R - Run
A - Arab
T - Trained / Trodden and Tormented!
E - Expat
S - Slaves

PS: Mr Saturn in reply to your post (#7);

Quote:
"Spoke to a fleet manager recently. They are still taking DEC's. I have also found a sneaky way to get in if the DEC thing stops on the 777, A330, A340."

Will really make our more than qualified and capable F/O's Blood Boil! I suggest you take a good Book on your overnights, you will be spending a lot of time on your own by the sound of things. Oh and I'm sure they will give you a nice warm E.K. welcome as well. :eek: :\

End of rant.

Numero Crunchero
14th Aug 2007, 18:17
For your edification....

PAYE or PAYG is pay as you go or pay as you earn tax on a weekly/fortnightly/monthly basis. In hong kong we do neither PAYG/PAYE. Instead we pay tax in arrears. The tax bill you get for payment in Jan 2008 is for finalising 1 Apr 06- 31 Mar 07 tax and then guesstimating (they call it provisional) tax for 1 Apr 07-31 Mar 08. They only ask you for 9 months (that would be 75%) of the tax for the 07-08 tax year... you have actually earned the money before you pay it. The remaining 25% is paid in April AFTER you have earned the money that caused the tax. They (IRD) will then ask you to add to (90% of the time due to higher earnings than planned due increments and upgrades) the 'provisional' tax paid a year LATER in the following Jan. How is that taxing at 25%?

So in a typical career here, you will go about 12-36months without a tax bill, you then get one covering money earned or money to be earned UP TO the date you have to pay tax. They use the word Provisional as according to their 'payment up to a year in arrears' system it is in fact 'provisional' - to us it is just like tax in western countries (jump in any time 404;-) - ie what we call PAYG or PAYE.

If you never got promoted or had increments your tax would be spot on after the first return. So if you have been 'in rank' for a while and not suddenly bought or sold a house using CX scheme, or changed bases, when you leave the tax to pay will be approx 16% and will be close to the 'provisional amount'. If you leave before the Jan payment is due, they will have to prorata what was due to be paid. There is no surprise here. You will average up to 16% flat tax.

So to keep it easy, every Jan(75% - 9 months+previous years balance)/Apr(25% - 3months) you PAYG/PAYE. The only reason there is more tax in the next year than the previously provisionally paid amount is that people get promoted, increased increments etc.

There is no double tax early on or tax free years at end. For new joiners, just put away or 'allocate' 16% of your money and you will likely more than cover any tax bill as long as you do it from day 1.

ACMS
14th Aug 2007, 23:14
Thanks NC, couldn't have put it better myself.:)

wolferj
15th Aug 2007, 04:46
Also at CX takes times just to start!!
Buddy of mine interview at CX back in may as DEFO. Hired, still waiting for a class date....
Hired by EK within 3 weeks turn around already has a class date on the 777.
go figure why CX makes wait so long???

Shagtastic
18th Aug 2007, 14:27
If EK are so 'desperate' for crew then perhaps someone could explain why they insist on failing 90% of the candidates they fly to Dubai?

Give them abunch of highly qualified Airbus/Boeing Captains & F/O's and the HR department considers the vast majority of them no good..:ugh:

Empire Building at it's best eh??

Shags

Abbeville
18th Aug 2007, 14:57
I suspect it would not be 'PC' to give the reason in the majority of cases Shags

SIC
18th Aug 2007, 17:51
And they make you pay for your own ticket to go and fail their interview I hear.:oh:

AAIGUY
19th Aug 2007, 04:48
EK pays your ticket and hotel when you are there.

BIKKERDENNAH
19th Aug 2007, 16:34
To answer a post in regards to the rumour that EK will provide a first officer with a matching pay point on joining UTTER UTTER Rubbish!!

However two years ago they did put DECs 3 paypoints up the salary scale on joining NOW that really pissed us captains off!!:D

air pressure
4th Sep 2007, 03:56
a friend has just recieved his interview date with Emirates. Told him that he can apply for DEC....even though he has only been relief with CX. I believe he has been a Captain on a smaller regional before though...

xkred27
4th Sep 2007, 04:29
Awesome, another no real command DEC, can't wait to carry him as well:ok:

emratty
4th Sep 2007, 13:24
Air pressure your friend is talking rubbish, for a DEC with EK you have to have a current command and time on a regional jet would not count for the DEC command hours and there are NO exceptions. Direct entry captains in EK will shortly be a thing of the past ( at least for a couple of years).
Amazing how things have turned with Cathay once the airline of choice now changing just like EK. Guys just remember the grass is not always greener.

air pressure
4th Sep 2007, 14:01
Emraty,

You are correct of course. Spoke to my mate again. He told me that they would have him fly as an FO for six months, then upgrade. He has command time on a 737...not a regional. Regardless, it seems that the DEC thing is a quite the sore point at EK (much like ASL was/is at CX)

great southern land
5th Sep 2007, 00:01
How many DEC's has EK recruited..?