PDA

View Full Version : Improvements we want to see in COS08

freightdoggiedog
11th Aug 2007, 10:46
It would appear that, at least on this forum, the general consensus is that the new package being offered is unacceptable.

It ranges from the "not bad, could be better" from the A-scaler point of view, who does get the opportunity to work for up to ten more years on a package almost as good as the one he has been used to, and finally gets a payrise (albeit a meagre one);

through the "well, not so great" B-Scale captain who gets a rather small payrise (considering "market forces"), and is now forced into the "interesting flying" world of freight (and for all those Airbus and B777 crew thinking "it won't affect me", beware the A380F and B777F!);

down to the "pass me the vaseline, please" of FOs and SOs who have suddenly see their time to command increase CONSIDERABLY, in exchange for those same miserable pay rises, a dodgy promise of some bypass pay and little else.

Within this last category there is an even more "untouchable" caste: those who are or were planning on taking a base. Magically these people don't even get the dodgy promise.

Now, anyone who has ever bought a rug from middle Eastern vendor knows that one NEVER accepts the first price quoted, a considerable amount of haggling must be endured before a more realistic price is agreed upon. The difference from most negotiations we've had with the company in the past is that this time the vendor really needs us to buy his rug, and as soon as possible. I can almost hear those shiny airplanes being assembled in Everett, and they will be here soon!

The proof of their desperation can be had in many aspects of the agreement: for example their acceptance of keeping A-scale captains on the A-scale (quite an expense for a company so good at counting pennies). Or else the fact that they have "agreed" (how generous of them!) to extend age 65 to HKG where they cannot even pretend that they are being "forced into" age 65.

I understand their need for age 65 (but don't give me that legal "inevitability" BS, I don't buy it! CX only does things legally when forced into it kicking and screaming- see PAYE): their training machine just can't keep up with current expansion and retirement, and in this way, with the resulting reduced need for new commanders, they can focus the checking and training dept on cranking out all the new FOs they'll need. However, quite frankly this is their problem and not mine, and I don't see why we (all of us not yet close to the left seat) should fund their expansion plans out of our own pocket!

So what would we like to see in a second proposal (assuming this first one will be voted down!)?
Admittedly this list is just a "first stab", and is written from the point of view of a based freighter DEFO, so input from all other CX perspectives would be welcome. I truly believe this is the moment for us to all pull in the same direction... I don't want to see ANYONE getting a raw deal. This is not just pure altruism: I one day might be a HKG based FO, or North American based Capt. Or maybe a captain on A-scale! Ok, that last one is unlikely.

1) Higher payrises. For now considering inflation in most base areas this is a PAYCUT. Let's face it, after seven years these increases just don't make the grade, moreover they are fairly uneven (would someone please illuminate me on how they came up with the USAB rises! :ugh: ). I would submit that a general 18/20% increase across the pilot population would be a little closer to the mark, especially considering recent record profits and management bonuses!

2) Review of "necessity" for age 65. In the interim, age 60 is about all I'm willing to consider; anyway this is the retirement age for now in most countries in which we have bases.

3) Bypass command pay for ALL FOs, including those on bases who are forced onto COS08. A corollary to this is that clear rules about eligibility, category assessment etc should be written into the agreement.

4) 13th month for based crew.

5) Revised unified DEFO scales to reflect CURRENT PAX FO rates or higher for the first three years. Let's learn from past mistakes and protect our vulnerable new joiners, who might one day have a say in a vote determining our lifestyle/pay.

6) Improved travel benefit scheme: as anyone who has ever flown for another airline will attest, in CX these are well below par. In addition this is one area in which the company can improve conditions for its pilots at little cost to itself.

This current conjunction of rocketing air travel, massive company expansion and a worsening pilot shortage gives us unique bargaining power. I doubt we will have another chance like this again: PLEASE PLEASE tell me we will not squander it by falling for the few pennies they have thrown our way.

FDD

ACMS
12th Aug 2007, 10:54
Nice post, I'm surprised no one has replied to it?
p.s. I don't think many B scale CN will vote yes.:ok:

SIC
12th Aug 2007, 11:07
YES please!!

I for one want a very clear definition of how bypass will be paid to be written in.

And why must everything be in one deal??

Pay/Tax and COS/Retirement age and Freighter/Base/A/B scale/etc are all different issues.
Dealing with them all in one is what causes half the problem because never will you get everybody to agree since all is affected differently.
SO ask for these to be broken into different deals if practical?

freightdoggiedog
12th Aug 2007, 11:30
I agree, SIC, too many issues in this deal: that in itself is automatically divisive. It is particularly ironic considering that during the DEFO/RP07 negotiations the company kept on insisting for separate pay talks dealing only with pay to be had later!

One more major thing I would like to see addressed: how the increased taxes will be dealt with when CX goes onshore in different bases. Will UK crew have to pay for NHS entirely out of their pocket? Or will CX foot the bill by increasing the gross salary of UK-based guys? Will FRA based guys suddenly have to pay German tax? What about USAB and FICA?

This issue has cleverly not even been mentioned by the company, which makes me very suspicious...

Perhaps these issues could be divided into two or three major groups on which we could then vote for separately, ie one covering only payrises, another regarding "onshore" base considerations (taxes, being forced onto COS08 etc), and finally one regarding increased retirement age with relative packages and bypass pay rules.

FDD

boocs
12th Aug 2007, 11:54
"6) Improved travel benefit scheme: as anyone who has ever flown for another airline will attest, in CX these are well below par."

You obviously are not familiar with the Staff Travel "benefits" for Dragonair....

beerboy
12th Aug 2007, 11:59
FDD
are yoou snoop doggie dog's cousin?

canuck revenger
4th Sep 2007, 03:43
Nick, you're always talking about 'fairness'.....how about this for fair: YOUR BONUS PLAN....

newbie1972
4th Sep 2007, 06:24
Sorry guys and girls. IMHO,this is not the place to discuss a wish list. You risk this forum becoming an ad-hoc negotiation, with CX getting a good idea of where to aim. This has happened in other places around the world.

Also consider the concept of expectation management. When threatened with RA65 and a payrise of 3% everyone gasps. But then CX eventually comes up with RA60 and a 4.5% payrise and everyone jumps for joy???

Oh please!!

mngmt mole
4th Sep 2007, 14:34
....you assume there will be ANOTHER offer...? doubt it.

Tornado Ali
5th Sep 2007, 15:10
Sadly, I suspect that the only change we will see to COS08 will be an even worse offer the second time round. Having been with CX for almost 10 years, this has been their 'modus operendi' since I joined. Hopefully the guys will have the fortitude to 'just say no' to anything that is not acceptable...regardless of the inevitable threats and rumours. :ugh: