PDA

View Full Version : " The Magic 500 Multi "

JIM1984
11th Aug 2007, 03:41
Just a quick question that I have been pondering over for quite a long time. What will happen to the upcoming FOs being employed by REX & Qantaslink with less than the 500 multi will they end up being career FOs making it virtually impossible to obtain a command or will CASA rewrite the rules for the benefit of the airlines etc. I am not meaning to cause a sh***fight amongst other pilots but I do believe its a very valid question at the moment. All responses would be appreciated.

Cheers

:ok:

Capt_SNAFU
11th Aug 2007, 03:48
Why would they be career F/O's?:confused::confused:
You do gain multi hours operating as an F/O.

Yusef Danet
11th Aug 2007, 04:14
The 500 hrs multi command before gaining command on a regional is only required in the absence of an approved training structure. If you have a High-Cap AOC you have that approved structure (Sunnies, Eastern, NJS, Airnorth when they get the 170 running). Without that AOC you may still have the approved training structure, and I suspect Rex would.

The 500 multi command is really only a legal issue for the likes of a small Metro operator or similar. While jet operators may state that as their requirement, that's their decision, not a CASA requirement, as evidenced by Virgin Blue dropping 500 multi command in favour of 500 multi.

tubby one
11th Aug 2007, 08:09
where in the regs does it require 500 hours for command??? I do beleive that you will find this is in fact a requirement placed on operataors by insurance companies!!!:E

Near Miss
11th Aug 2007, 09:25
Not in Oz anymore and no longer have CAR/CAOs. But I think, from memory, don't quote me, I am not so sure now, it was in CAO 82. :O
But like YD says, it is N/A for High Cap AOC holders, which EAA became with the 300. That is how QF etc get away with cadets. No point employing a pilot that has no chance of getting their command.
I also think ICUS can count. So if you go to Metro or 1900 with only 200 hrs TT, you could still get a command, if they give you about a year of ICUS. I think. :}
But my 500 odd SP ME was some of the best (ie fun) flying I have ever done. Get it if you can. Before you end up watching that magenta line for hours and hours and hours... :bored:

Icarus53
11th Aug 2007, 12:38
.... but it's soooo pretty!!!!:}:}

.... like those big red shiny handles. I wonder what they do?

JIM1984
12th Aug 2007, 02:36
Thanks for the replys guys/girls I guess I will have to read the documentation more closely.

Cheers:ok:

KRUSTY 34
12th Aug 2007, 12:53
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Low capacity RPT command greater than 5700kg requires min 500 hours multi command, of which 150 hours may be logged as ICUS.

As far as Rex is concerned, their min requirement for 350 multi command still allows them to upgrade a candidate by making up the difference with the ICUS gained during command training.

By doing this the company has acknowledged that they are willing to spend much more time and resources down the track. The usual amount of upgrade training is around 60 hours for an experienced F/O.

The commitment to apply up to 150 hours to upgrade training shows just how desperate they have become!