PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk Rescue near Coen, FNQ

baffler15
11th Aug 2007, 00:23
From today's Townsville Bulletin

Crew rescue missing stockman
CHRIS QUAGLIATA ([email protected])
11Aug07
`WATCH out for all the crocodiles'. That's probably the last thing you want to hear after being winched down from a Blackhawk helicopter through a small clearing in dense, swampy Cape York scrubland miles from anywhere.
But that was the scenario facing Trooper Ryan Purchase in the rescue of missing stockman David George on Wednesday.
The 56-year-old bushman slept in trees for up to a week to avoid the crocodiles after going missing on Silver Plains station, south-east of Coen, while performing a back burn.
He was stranded after his horse wandered off after rolling and leaving him knocked out.
Army aircrew from B Squadron 5th Aviation Regiment and soldiers from the 3rd Brigade including 2RAR in Townsville were called in to help with Mr George's rescue.
"When we got winched down and went up to the man, he said there was crocodiles only a few metres away, all around him," Tpr Purchase said.
"He spent a couple of nights in the tree."
"When we found that out we just wanted to get him out of there as quick as we could."
Blackhawk captain Lieutenant Angus `James' Watson said once Mr George was spotted the aircraft went into action.
"There was a heli-mustering aircraft with a pilot based at the station ... on the day that we arrived, which was Wednesday, the heli-mustering chopper actually found David in the thick scrub," he said.
"They have no means to winch the patient out so we used the winch on the side of the aircraft to hoist David out of the scrub and take him back to Coen for medical treatment."
Tpr Purchase was lowered down into a small clearing in the scrub, in an area too small for the chopper to land, accompanied by an army medic.
Once the man's safety was confirmed, Tpr Purchase then had to make three trips back to the Blackhawk, once with Mr George and then again with the medic – and finally with the rescued man's saddle.
The Blackhawk's original mission did not include a rescue operation, but to support troops from B Company 2RAR who were there to look for Mr George.
"Our role was primarily to move those guys out in to the scrub to look for David," Lt Watson said.
He said Defence Aid to the Civil Community (DACC) operations were a significant part of the Army's job.
Tpr Purchase said army aircrew were well trained to handle civilian aid missions.
"It's actually good to train for something like that then do it for real and actually get to save someone's life," he said.
"It's good to be able to respond very quickly."

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2007/08/11/Blackhawk.jpg
RESCUE PARTNERS ... CPO George Shephard (ground crew) and Tpr Ryan Purchase

A little bit ho-hum for all you EMS guys out there that do this every day, but a nice change of pace for Army Aviation! Bravo!:D

helopat
11th Aug 2007, 04:26
Is that George Shepard in the foreground of the picture (on our left)? Good fella and a good friend...glad to see he's remained the shy and retiring type (right in front of the picture...good on ya George!)

Helopat

Blackhawk9
11th Aug 2007, 06:34
Good to see the boys dong a bit of SAR work, it was in the original spec for the Blackhawk but the Army rarely use it, the RAAF ordered the machines with an external hoist for SAR/Combat SAR but its not a primary role for the Army.
Good to also see George Shepard in the photo was at 9 sqn and 5 avn with George in the early days of the Blackhawk, George is old school was originaly RAAF on Neptunes (yes the 70's!) then went Army then over to the RAN on Seahawks with a Bit of Blackhawk thown in , didn't know he was still in!

crewguard
11th Aug 2007, 12:04
Well done to the lads at B Sqn, 5 Avn Regt. That task whilst supporting the 2RAR soldiers in the infancy turned out to be a very rewading task for all concerned.

Winching operations in both the battlefield role and civil aid to the community tasks such as this one are integral to both pilot and aircrewman training courses. To state thats its not one of Armys primary roles is somewhat incorrect.

As an ex B sqn Aircrew member, having participated in many similar tasks such these Im chuffed to see them continuing to perform such tasks. It comes at a time where probably the image of Blackhawk operations has been given an ear bashing by all and sundrey. Well done lads...:)

baffler15
14th Aug 2007, 09:04
<H1>Croc target spent week up tree

Article from: http://www.news.com.au/images/sources/h14_thecouriermail.gif</IMG> (http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/?from=ni_story)

Peter Michael
August 14, 2007 12:00am

CAPE York stockman David George has spent seven nights up a tree in a crocodile-infested swamp, bleeding and with little food - and lived to tell the tale.
The father-of-one and co-manager at Silver Plains cattle station yesterday told his remarkable tale of survival and rescue by chopper in rugged bushland near Coen, in the state's remote far north.
"Every night I was stalked by two crocs who would sit at the bottom of the tree staring up at me," Mr George recalled yesterday.
"All I could see was two sets of red eyes below me and all night I had to listen to a big bull croc bellowing a bit further out.
"I'd yell out at them, 'I'm not falling out of this tree for you bastards'."
Dazed and bleeding after a tumble from his horse earlier this month, the bushie had given the horse its head in the pre-dawn dark to get him home – only to find it had taken him more than a kilometre into the heart of a croc swamp.
"I had to get off the horse and fall on the long 8ft-high swamp grass to clear a path, when I fell straight into a crocodile nest," he said.
"That spooked me. There were some monstrous tracks and the big ones are never far from the nest.
"I couldn't go back, it was too far and too dangerous, so I headed to the nearest high ground and stayed there, hoping someone would come and find me before the crocs did."
He tried everything over the next few days to attract the attention of airborne search teams, including flashing sunlight off his tobacco tin, waving his shirt on a stick and spreading toilet paper in the tree branches.
"The scrub was that thick they could not see me through the foliage. It was very frustrating – they flew within 20 feet (6m) of me at one stage," he said.
Three days into his ordeal and his food supply of two meat sandwiches was gone.
"If I hadn't seen the crocs circling me, and if I hadn't fallen into the croc nest, I would have made a push for it. But I knew the safest thing was for me to sit tight and wait."
On the eighth day of his ordeal, the missing stockman was found last Wednesday after a search involving the Australian Army, police, SES crews from Coen, Cooktown, Cairns and Brisbane and Aboriginal trackers.
"They gave me a Cherry Ripe chocolate bar after they winched me up to the chopper – it was like a gourmet meal," he said.

</H1>http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5608988,00.jpg