PDA

View Full Version : PPL Training costs in NZ

CDT Fu
10th Aug 2007, 22:47
Hey Guys,'

I'm currently a cadet in The Air Training Corps. Our Unit is offering us, cadets PPL training. It will cost about $8670:ugh: which includes:

32 hours dual @ $161/hr = $5152
18 hours solo @ $141/hr = $2358
Airways/Landing Fees = $80
Study Books and Exam Fees + Charts/Flight Guide = $600
PPL Flight Test + Aircraft HireThe training will be in a Piper Tomahawk.

Does this sound reasonable? Or can I get a better deal elsewhere. Also, is this a good time to get my PPL (turning 17 soon) or should I hold it off for a while........ All help will be appreciated. Cheers!

TZZ
10th Aug 2007, 22:56
hi its reasonable but dont fly with canterburyaeroclub they will rip u off, try nelson aviation college

russianthru_thesky
11th Aug 2007, 15:37
Yeah thats not too bad a rate these days. Damn stupid expensive planes!!! Any time is a good time to start plane flying...17 is how old u have to be to have a PPL so you'll be sweet!! Just depends if you are prepared to be poor for the remainder of your life is all:}

flying_inverted
13th Aug 2007, 02:24
That price is about right at a few aero clubs around the country, although the price can varry, some people learn quicker than others, fuel costs may rise, test resits, extra hours etc. Advise I have that may help is buy/borrow current charts/books off someone else, that will save some money. Training at an aero club that owns their airfield will save you landing fees to. All the best pal:ok:

kiwi chick
13th Aug 2007, 05:30
Sounds pretty reasonable to me too - and I'm guessing that you will be training in Auckland, seeing as that is where you are...

Your question about age depends on for what reason you are getting your PPL:

Are you getting it because you think it will help you get into the Air Force? If so, save your money.

If you are getting it purely for pleasure, and are not wanting to follow it up with a Commercial, then by all means it's a great age!

If you are wanting to follow on with a commerical licence, and work in aviation - do some serious research first and make sure it's what you really want!!

All the best, :ok:

KC

aldee
13th Aug 2007, 06:01
Would like to understand where the ripoff is,

hourly rate too high
takes too long to progress
crap aircraft
poor instruction
attitude ??

help me out here

Got the horn
13th Aug 2007, 06:07
Don't do it in a Traumahawk!! I know where you can get a nice C152 and an excellent instructor for one dollar an hour less!!

TZZ
13th Aug 2007, 07:46
adlee CAC has all of the above u where asking, but from my experience because i studied at IAANZ when you are cac club member they will respect you well but once you become full time with them they will respect you like a 12 years old kid, Jay peters is the biggest lier in the club

LocoDriver
13th Aug 2007, 09:06
well, Ive been instructing for some years, and have taught in all the usual suspects. After thousands of hours, i have concluded (in my opinion) that there is only one true trainer, the Cessna 152.
They are easy on da gas, sturdy and reliable, a great responsive little trainer,they lead easily into the bigger and faster cessna models.

As for the Traumahawk, yes, they are a good trainer, but I never feel secure in them, just try stalling one, and watch(and listen) to the tail feathers.
Thats not natural! They also have a finite life wing spar. There are not many left now.........

I did happen to learn in Cessnas, back in da early 70's (150's then) but have done over 1,500 hrs in Pipers, but 'came home' to the Cessna family.
Gotta say, i like high wings (ever seen a bird with low wings???-the feathered type I mean) The old Traumhawks are handy as tie downs for cessnas, just park one under each wing. (sorry James, if you read this!! :E:E:E)

Thats my opinion for whats its worth, from one who sits in the right hand seat.

Cheers.
:ok:

CDT Fu
13th Aug 2007, 09:52
Hey guys, thanks for your help:ok:

It still seems a lot to me though:{ My parents can't pay much of it so I guess I'll have to start looking for a job........ Anyway, it seems like it will be a while before I can start, maybe next year if I'm lucky.

kiwi chick: Yea I'm intending to make flying a career. I probably will try to get into the Air Force as a pilot but it seems to be really competitive ie. not a lot of aircraft so not a lot of pilots needed..... I've read pprune for nearly a year now so I guess I know what the situation is like ie conditions etc. I've looked up various websites and I have mentally planned out the different paths I could take, once I finish school.

I've come into contact with an Air NZ pilot and he describes the conditions there to be much better than the conditions I've read about Qantas on this site so my ultimate goal is to fly for Air NZ.

Oce again thanks guys:ok:

BTW what are your thoughts on the intergrated courses eligible for student loans?

flying_inverted
13th Aug 2007, 23:23
BTW what are your thoughts on the intergrated courses eligible for student loans?

Student loans arn't a bad idea (IMO) Where else are you going to get 80k quickly:E

And with the student loan, you can train full time and be done in 3 years with qualifications, flying hours, ratings:ok:

Downside 80k in debt and no job:ugh:

kiwi chick
13th Aug 2007, 23:46
oh good god, here we go....

I think Student Loans have their pros and cons:

Pros: good for people who REALLY belong in aviation, want to fly for the real desire of flying, and truly have no other way of paying for it :)

Cons: really bad for f**kwits who think "hey, here's 80K, i might give this flying thing a try - and who cares about the money, i don't have to pay it back for ages". This is the reason there are so many pilots in NZ - with so little skill and experience. :ugh:

My advice would be to try the Air Force first before spending any money. Without doubt. And Im sure any military guys (anyone out there reading?!) would agree 100% with this. They don't want pilots with bad habits picked up from GA, and i don't think anyone can truly argue against the fact that air force training is simply the best you can get.

As for the training period, it depends how motivated and driven you are - I went from ab-initio to trained, working commercial in around nine months - but don't get me wrong - it was bloody hard work. ;)

And I'm not working for an airline - thats an even longer road still if that's where you want to end up.

Good luck, and look forward to hearing of your progress. :ok:

Kiwi chick

Weekend_Warrior
14th Aug 2007, 08:46
Yeah right.

See how popular CAC is from these threads. I could post others byt these will do.

http://www.avgas.co.nz/viewMessages.cfm?topicID=300&catID=17

http://www.avgas.co.nz/viewMessages.cfm?topicID=255&catID=17

TZZ
14th Aug 2007, 09:20
Think what you want they are racist and they love your money they are not professional at all.

troppo
14th Aug 2007, 22:42
Admittedly it is nearly 15 years since I was at CAC, so can't comment on the current culture. I notice they are looking for a new CEO.
Rates in the early 90's were under $100/hr dual on a tomahawk.
TZZ, your the customer, if you don't like the training or service you get, go somewhere else rather than crying about it.
I found JP to be a good bloke to learn from and drink with.