PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Life or Financial Reward

Anti Skid On
4th Jan 2002, 12:32
Hypothetical question (so I am awaiting its rapid transfer to questions!)

Given the current world situation are many captains and FO's relocating to 'safer' places, even though the financial rewards may be considerably less (as may the career opportunities)?

flufdriver
4th Jan 2002, 22:30
From my perspective, it would appear that the only Pilots relocating right now, are doing so involuntarily.

Supply exceeding demand once again!

NorthernSky
4th Jan 2002, 23:24
I've got a really well-paid, secure, job at the moment.

I'm always so completely knackered from flying the 'low cost' roster and worrying about where the next knife in the back is coming from, that I suspect I won't see my fiftieth birthday.

Quality of life......... Now, I used to know what that meant.

fireflybob
5th Jan 2002, 10:12
Now there's an interesting question, eh?

I see from your profile that you were at EGNM and now NZRO - does that mean you have gone from Leeds to New Zealand??

I believe that if you go for "quality of life" first then "standard of living" will follow - it just doesn't work the other way round!

Due to a family bereavement I went from airline flying back to flying instruction (contract work for the military). The job was not as well remunerated as airline flying but boy the working hours didn't half make up for the money! Also there is nothing like sleeping in your own bed every night with no messing around with the body clock to consider!

As regards a safe location to work in well you have to ask yourself the question where is safe? Perhaps some locations are safer than others.

With everything in life you have to "Know Your Outcome" before you start and as has already been stated some pilots recently have had little choice when it comes to employment etc. Perhaps you have to fundamentally ask yourself the question as to what the purpose of employment/business is - suggest you read some of Charles Handy's books for some interesting perspectives on this sort of topic.

Finally, keep seeking the truth on this - but the answer is not "out there" but within you!

Shanwick Shanwick
5th Jan 2002, 16:00
If anyone can show me an "interesting" job which offers quality of life and reasonable pay I'll be there!

under_exposed
6th Jan 2002, 00:22
I am not in the aviation industry, just intrested.

Having got that out the way, I gave up a good job with a very good salary to move to bristol.

I miss flying to customers sites at 4 hours notice, I miss the perks the company gave, I miss working with very technically good co-workers.

But I now no longer have a 1 1/2 hour commute, I no longer work in Slough (Thank God).

There is more to life than money.

Do not let money rule everything. Decide what is important to you.

Lapsus linguae
6th Jan 2002, 00:35
Anti Skid what is the attraction of Rotor-Vegas? Lifestyle is the one first and foremost.

Anti Skid On
6th Jan 2002, 14:05
Firstly a big thanks for all the responses (thought it would have created a nil-point response!)

I posted it given the circumstances following Sept 11th. I moved here (Rotorua, NZ - Roto-vegas as Lapsus linguae points out!) in April last year giving up a £30K job for NZ$52K - about a 50% cut, even worse since Sept 11th! A survey stated that NZ was the 'safest' place to live (in the publics eyes) - and I was interested to see if anyone was thinking of relocating.

Flufdriver made a good point I hadn't thought of - HAVING to move because you no longer have a job.

NorthernSky - can't comment on how the rosters are here (in terms of demand) but an Air NZ regional captain I know finds his job totally monotonous as he does Taupo - Auckland - Kataia - Auckland - Taupo 5 days a week, so he is buying a float plane, getting a rating and venturing into tourism!

Fireflybob - good on ya, cause at least you are happy - I am familiar with the works of Handy

under_exposed - I also gave up the commute for a 10 minute, two sets of traffic lights run, where stress is 5 cars at the State Highway roundabout. Lifestyle here is important, I have a house on the lake, with a 1/4 acre garden (which my kids describe as bigger than there old school playing fields). Like you I am not in the industry, but have aspirations (but age is more than against me). At least here the PPL is affordable (getting there slowly)

Shanwick - if I find that job I'll let you know!!

Cheers from down here, have a great new year guys!!

JB007
6th Jan 2002, 15:22
Have to go with quality of life...if the option is available that is.

I've commuted for 1.30 for the past 3 years and around the M25 in Essex which is particulary bad!!
Ok, so it was my choice because I liked where I live but I sure ain't gonna do it again...and having seen what low cost operators are offering as flight crew rosters (albeit good pay!) you can keep it....

There is more to life than money....

The problem is, can we afford to be that choosy in uncertain times...mortgages still have to be paid etc etc...and of course it depends on how career orientated you are as a person.

fruitbatflyer
7th Jan 2002, 13:48
As one who has put quality of life ahead of career mostly, it has all worked out pretty good.
I now live in about as good a place as exists on this planet, make reasonable money, fly decent equipment over an interesting route strucure for a nice bunch of people. Trouble is, in chasing the quality of life, I haven't saved any money, and now it turns out this sweet job has absolutely no security.
But it could be worse - plenty of guys have all of the above PLUS money and job security - but they have ugly wives.
I don't know what the moral of this story is, other than 'don't worry, be happy'

4g_handicap
8th Jan 2002, 22:52
Recently gave up a well paid job for the airlines and Quality of life.

I always knew that money was like sex, oxygen, flying hours and a parachute. Only important if you don't have.

Kaptin M
9th Jan 2002, 02:52
ASO, Kia Ora!! I think you'll find that most of the Captains with Virgin Blue, in Australia, gave up MUCH better paying jobs when the opportunity to live, and work in Australia, was offered. Likewise, Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines pay their Aussie-based pilots less than those based in H.K. and Singers (or, to put it another way, they pay their Asian-based pilots MORE to live in Asia).

So yes, there is a recognition - by pilots AND employers - that LIFESTYLE (and cost of living) is worth something...I'm not sure of a precise dollar value, but that would be interesting to calculate - I'll float the question on Dunnunda & Godzone.

As far as giving up a salaried job to buy one's own floatplane?? I can see your acquaintance suffering a lot more stress and sleepless nights than he currently does flying his 5 day a week "Taupo - Auckland - Kataia - Auckland - Taupo".

BTW, I have a place in Hanmer Springs - not as smelly as Rootaroa!

Anti Skid On
9th Jan 2002, 14:43
Smell? What smell - must have been back in town for a couple of days!

(I live over at Hamurana away from the whiff!)