PDA

View Full Version : SFO DESO 31 July 07

Wheezy Child
10th Aug 2007, 02:20
Well.....no 2nd interview for me!

What a weird interview though. I had heard that the interview content had changed but didn't really believe it.

No questions on

Swept Wing
Mach Crit
Spanwise flow
Super stall
High speed stuff
ITCZ
What everyone refers to as the BS questions that you can only know after flying the 'insert widebody name here'.

None of the expected stuff.

I got about 45 mins of HR and then 15 mins of basic tech.

Main 3 tech questions were typhoons, EGPWS and TCAS. A couple of basic questions on each.

The 2 guys were very polite no good cop bad cop routine although I could spot the one that used to be the bad cop!

To be honest the questions were so basic, anyone with a weeks studying up could have answered the questions.

So god alone knows what they were looking for because it sure wasn't tech, HK knowledge, swire knowledge or Cathay knowledge.

I can't believe it but I actually feel robbed because my 6 weeks of studying was pointless. Totally pointless!

Oh Well! 1st thing I failed at in 36 years so I guess my streak had to end some time!

Good luck to all who were in SFO last week and a BIG thanks to everyone on PPRUNE who helped with my studying and answered my stupid questions.

I wonder whats going on in the Emirates forum............................?

WC :ok:

texas145
10th Aug 2007, 09:40
I hear guys are leaving Emirates for CX . . . rumor only though.

Don't look at it like you wasted your time. That knowledge, especially kept up, will make you a better pilot (dumping the Swire/CX stuff, of course)

I had a similar interview in SFO where there was no good/bad cop and the tech wasn't as much over what I had prepared for. Better to be over prepared than not. Things must be changing or they are looking at more than just tech aspects. At least you don't sound too down on yourself -- there are lots of carriers hiring and I'm sure you'll do well somewhere else or CX in a year.

I was fortunate enough to pass but I think they are just waiting to kick my butt in Hong Kong . . .

Good luck and sorry to hear about your results.

highalti2d
10th Aug 2007, 23:31
Ditto, WC.

That's a big D I T T O. I know the feeling.

But then I turn to the advice from a good friend about his father's experience. He interviewed and was turned down by United, interviewed and turned down by American, interviewed....and hired.... by FedEx. So.... who knows.

Wheezy Child
11th Aug 2007, 00:29
Hey HighAlti2d,

Were you the guy I met on the Tue as I left the building about 1100?
He was from the Caribbean as well.

Cheers

WC

aeropix
21st Aug 2007, 03:14
I had the same experience.

The interview was relaxed and quite friendly. I walked out of the interview feeling like a million dollars, since the questions especially the tech questions were not so pointed and detailed as I was expecting.

Yet, I too dod not make it to the second interview. I am left scratching my head as to what they are now looking for. Having been to Hong Kong many times, and southeast asia countless more, having 20 years flight experience, and a long time awareness of Cathay were certainly not what they wanted after all!

In the end, as stated before, I was happy to have had the experience, as I may not have reviewed all the information nor read the actually informative and enjoyable H.t.B.J. book if I were not invited to this opportunity.

I suspect, and have been told, that they sometimes turn down promising applicants, only to give them another interview in 1 year as a "test of loyalty". Time will tell.

Cheers,

dustyprops
21st Aug 2007, 08:56
Don't feel bad Wheezy Child, you've just saved yourself from a nightmare of a job!

Guys are leaving here to go to Emirates.......Check it out mate.

Agent Mulder
21st Aug 2007, 09:40
u guys that missed out, dont worry CX will need you pretty soon, due to the impending exodus to pastures green! Hopefully u will position to say no thanks I have a better jet job!

Bwatchful
21st Aug 2007, 20:47
What/who determines who goes to what fleet? As a new SO, if you had your choice, which fleet would be preferable? Thanks