PDA

View Full Version : UK Attractions with Helipads?

221B
9th Aug 2007, 09:09
Anyone aware of any? - I know about Alton Towers, but can't find any others, but am not sure if they just don't publicise them, or there aren't any.
Ideally I am looking for something in the Midlands suitable for young kids (5 year old), either with a helipad onsite or landing strip nearby for a short taxi ride.

ShyTorque
9th Aug 2007, 09:15
The only other one I can think of is London, but it's far too expensive for most people!

Sewing Machine Man
9th Aug 2007, 09:48
Not in the midlands but great for all ages :- Oakwood Theme Park in Pembrokeshire. They had a grass pad last time I was there. The owner flew an R44. Worth a phone call.

heli1
9th Aug 2007, 09:50
Helicopter Museum at Weston super Mare has grass pad area

Barshifter
9th Aug 2007, 09:52
Not really an attraction unless you have Mrs Sewing Machine Man on board but I seem to recall The Meadow Hall Shopping Center at Sheffield has a landing Pad.

Three Blades
9th Aug 2007, 10:15
Museum at Duxford
Santapod raceway

Nige321
9th Aug 2007, 11:18
Woodlands Park
Near Dartmouth, Devon
Here... (http://www.woodlandspark.com/)
N:}

Twiddle
9th Aug 2007, 12:45
Alton Towers, pad beside the hotels, phone in advance, £50 and a guy with flashing lights comes and drives you to the gate!

Twiddle
9th Aug 2007, 12:50
Ok, more helpful than restating what you already knew (sorry!), quite a few of the larger hotel chains have helipads, might be worth picking the attraction you want to go to and then checking the accommodation lists for a decent sized hotel and giving them a call.

Also, ask the people running the attraction, they have usually been asked before.

One not to waste your time asking is Cadbury World, when I asked them I was told that they had nothing on site but there was a hospital nearby who had a pad but they weren't sure whether they'd let me use it or how long I'd be able to leave it there! No *!#t Sherlock....:{

Brilliant Stuff
9th Aug 2007, 14:26
You can tie up a narrow boat next to Cadbury World though.

120torque
9th Aug 2007, 14:50
try Drayton Manor theme park or Twycross zoo - believe there is a private strip near twycross. Drayton have a lot of fields toward the west of the park also a golf course to the south. If you wanted to spend a bit more on landing fee - you could land at the Belfry and get a taxi the 3 miles to Drayton Manor - but seems a bit daft when there is so much room to land at Drayton.

Twiddle
9th Aug 2007, 15:13
Narrow boats have rubbish Group A performance.....

Lord Mount
9th Aug 2007, 18:23
Coventry airport has an aircraft museum attached. Never been but have driven past a few times.

LM

Lord Mount
9th Aug 2007, 18:40
I've just had a look at Legoland, Windsor on Google Earth (51:27':41.4"N 0:38':51.5"W).
It looks like they may have a grass pad to the south of the main building.
Could be worth giving them a bell.

LM

bugdevheli
10th Aug 2007, 20:46
Look no further! West Midlands Safari Park Severn Valley Railway. PM Me if interested. Private secure pad no fee free tea. Bug

tiger26isfinals
10th Aug 2007, 22:19
Cosford may let you land there during the week if you fancy a visit to the museum or a short taxi ride into Telford to the kiddies world there. PM me if you are interested and I will find some details for you. :ok:

Cheers,

Tiger

221B
12th Aug 2007, 20:06
Many thanks for all the ideas - we just need to decide now!

It will be a useful list for future trips as well.