PDA

View Full Version : Lighty down at Bankstown

notmyC150v2
9th Aug 2007, 03:49
Just saw on the SMH website that a light plane has clipped a fence on descent at Bankstown and lost a wing (one wonders about the angle they hit the fence on). Apparently pilot has been taken to hospital but no life threatening injuries.

Anyone got any better (more accurate) info?

an-124
9th Aug 2007, 05:10
A PILOT escaped injury when his light plane overshot the runway and lost a wing in a crash landing at Sydney's Bankstown airport tooday.

The single-engined plane hit a security fence shortly after landing about 11.45am (AEST), an airport spokeswoman said.

"There was only one person on board the plane, the pilot, and he suffered no injuries," the spokeswoman said.

The airport declined to comment on the cause of the incident.

However, shortly after the incident, a police spokeswoman said it appeared there had been "undercarriage problems" with the plane during landing.

Police said the plane lost a wing during the incident.

The airport spokeswoman said the circumstances of the crash would be investigated by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau

training wheels
9th Aug 2007, 05:22
Would an undercarriage problem cause a plane to hit a fence?

The Original Jetpipe
9th Aug 2007, 07:37
Any more info?????

Aircraft type, Private or School aircraft etc.

TOJP.

Zap Brannigan
9th Aug 2007, 07:50
Looked like a Warrior / Archer, blue & white in colour, allegedly a flying school aircraft.

Zap.

Ultralights
9th Aug 2007, 07:59
which fence did it hit? the one on the perimeter road? or the one around the soon to be built shopping centre?

Capt Fathom
9th Aug 2007, 08:05

Probably not!

But hitting a fence could cause an undercarriage problem!

Zap Brannigan
9th Aug 2007, 08:12
Not sure which one it actually hit, but it came to rest 2/3rds of the way down 29L, off to the left side.

I have to admit I really don't like those lamp posts which run along the undershoot to the 29 runways. Yes they might be clear of the splay, but given their low visibility, students tend to get disturbingly close to them (when low) without taking any preventative action.

bentleg
9th Aug 2007, 09:21

Yes it could.
If you are on short final and take your eyes off the approach to sort out an undercarriage problem.
Better to go round and sort it out at altitude and approach again......

youngmic
9th Aug 2007, 10:27

If the aircraft lost a wing as stated and the undercarriage is mounted to the wing, then it might be hard enough to fly that you hit a fence.

bentleg
9th Aug 2007, 10:32
If the aircraft lost a wing as stated and the undercarriage is mounted to the wing, then it might be hard enough to fly that you hit a fence

If the aircraft lost a wing you would drop from the sky like a stone. More likely the wing was lost as a result of the impact with the fence.

Ultralights
9th Aug 2007, 11:57
blowing a tyre on touchdown?

das Uber Soldat
9th Aug 2007, 13:21
well thats fence 3, aircraft 0 since they built that stupid bloody thing.

Sooner or later its going to kill someone. Love the gear problem, in a warrior? I think it will come out later that he just lost the plot on approach and binned it. Least he's ok, was a solo student.

57GoldTop
9th Aug 2007, 13:35
Good to hear that the Pilot is OK.

Diatryma
10th Aug 2007, 01:24
Aircraft type, Private or School aircraft etc.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/middle/1/4/6/1114641.jpg (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1114641&size=L&width=1024&height=695&sok=JURER%20%20%28ert%20%3D%20%27IU-AEO%27%29%20%20BEQRE%20OL%20cubgb_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=1)

youngmic
10th Aug 2007, 04:13
If the aircraft lost a wing you would drop from the sky like a stone. More likely the wing was lost as a result of the impact with the fence.
Bentleg, with powers of deduction like that you could almost get a job with the ATSB.
Almost that is, cause it wouldn't quite fall like a stone, more like a one winged plane spinning wildly outa control. :ugh:

I do agree with your more likely fence impact theory though.

But we shouldn't rule out other possibilities, maybe the wing (with U/carriage attached) was removed for maintenance, then lost in the system somewhere.

But in fairness that would be, lost the wing and U/carriage, as opposed to a U/carriage problem and then a lost wing.

Glad I don't work for the ATSB, tricky stuff this accident investigation stuff.

Diatryma
10th Aug 2007, 06:26
Do I detect a note of sarcasm in that last post?

(This must be a Friday afternoon!)

:suspect:

das Uber Soldat
10th Aug 2007, 09:42
what I don't understand is, the wing was a good 20m from the fuselage and the fence. If the fence caused the separation of the wing, why is it over there?

Then again if the wing separated due contact with the ground (and one assumes its reasonably heavy contact, wings generally don't just come off when you ask them nicely) then why is the rest of the airframe so relatively undamaged?

This one has me scratching my head (like most do until I read the report written by professionals :) )

I've been told by a few people that the a/c was operated by schoefields but that is by no means verified fact.

Crosshair
10th Aug 2007, 11:59
I don't think VH-NRB is operated by Schofields. I think their only Archer is VH-SFR.

Mesopause
10th Aug 2007, 16:48
Maybe Not but if the undercarriage hit the fence it would most certainly cause an undercarriage problem!!

I think???

Maybe it (the undercarriage) is still stuck in the fence with the wing still attached. I hope that the NTSB can find it!!

Zhaadum
10th Aug 2007, 22:30
Why would the NTSB be looking for it?
In OZ we have the ATSB! Fair Dinkum! :ok:

Z.

the wizard of auz
11th Aug 2007, 01:25
Bwahahaha. you beat me to it Z.

Charlie Foxtrot India
11th Aug 2007, 04:38
The airport spokeswoman said the circumstances of the crash would be investigated by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau

I thought they only got involved if there was a fatal?

the wizard of auz
11th Aug 2007, 04:50
They will become involved in any crash that meets the " we can afford to investigate this accident" criteria. that means within driving distance. or of course a fatal.

solocmv
11th Aug 2007, 05:36
The Stemme that went in at camden killing 2x is not going to be investigated by the ATSB. they have flicked it to RAA.
Even though it was as I recall VH rego.

Solocmv.

Bula
11th Aug 2007, 08:04
You cant investigate every accident. Most resources are placed into areas where the result of an accident is greater. Unfortunately this is RPT ops carrying lots of people, or multiple incidents involving numerous aircraft of the same type.

It does not help the families who have many questions after incidents like these which I have to say is a big disappointment.

mr.tos
28th Aug 2007, 05:37
I was in the ATC Tower the day after the crash. It took the dumb guys half a day to dismantle the plane from the fence. They towed the plane away and then came back for the wing with a forklift!!! It was funny at the time!!!

bizzybody
28th Aug 2007, 07:41
not meaing to have a dig but the term DUMB is a bit harsh. Being a professional firefighter by trade, i would not be racing to clear the wreck. Im sure it looked funny but im also pretty sure they knew what they were doing in order not to cause any further damage to the aircraft, further contamination of the area from avgas and safety of the workers
Things can still go wrong

kimwestt
29th Aug 2007, 00:43
From memory, when the inst lights are turned on, the u/c lamps dim automatically, making them hard/impossible to see in daylight. Would definitely not be the first person to be caught out - but usually flies off somewhere and sorts it out, then lands. I was taxyying along that taxiway the other day, and couldn't believe my eyes, it (the a/c) was all very neatly wrapped up in fencing wire. Only thing missing was the ribbon and bow. How long before one of these SECURITY FENCES CAUSES A FATALITY?? ie no fence=no damage=no injuries(or worse). Be interesting to checkout the Duty of Care liability issue for the fences.

Atlas Shrugged
29th Aug 2007, 23:47
From memory, when the inst lights are turned on, the u/c lamps dim automatically, making them hard/impossible to see in daylight

Since when does a Warrior have U/C lights?