PDA

View Full Version : How does commuting work with QF

oneday_soon
9th Aug 2007, 03:12
If you live interstate and are on the 747, how does commuting work? What happens when you are on reserve days, do you fly to Sydney and sit in a hotel?

EPIRB
9th Aug 2007, 04:14
Yes, find some suitable accomodation. There are a few commuter houses available, some choose the hotel option or there is a lady that rents rooms nearby that is cheaper than the hotel option.

training wheels
9th Aug 2007, 05:13
Do you mean the company actually provides you with accommodation in this context or do you pay for the room/hotel yourself?

ITCZ
9th Aug 2007, 11:25
There are Sydney-based 747 that commute from their homes in Perth and Alice Springs. Done by SO, FO and Captains. It takes a bit of organising, but it is do-able.

What happens when you are on reserve days, do you fly to Sydney and sit in a hotel?

A shared crash-pad with a bed, a coathook and a short walk from Bondi beach would do. Up to you.

Paul Alfred
9th Aug 2007, 11:51
I know a couple of QF guys that Commute from Adelaide and say as mentioned previously..it just takes some co-ordinating but they wouldnt have it any other way. There was talk of maybe an Adelaide Base soon....over 70 pilots apparently staying at the Hyatt last night...that cant be cheap for QF!

Cheers ODS.

PA

Capt Fathom
9th Aug 2007, 12:01
I know a couple of QF guys that Commute from Adelaide...
There was talk of maybe an Adelaide Base soon...
over 70 pilots apparently staying at the Hyatt last night...

Have a think about that statement. 70 pilots from QF in ADL on an overnight. That's 35 crews! :rolleyes:

Didn't know ADL was that popular! :uhoh:

Paul Alfred
9th Aug 2007, 12:17
Putting it that way Capt it does sound stupid and I feel rather sheepish....I'm sure thats what I was told last night by one of the Capts at the QF Cadet info last night...but I must of mis understood :confused:
Cheers, PA

slice
9th Aug 2007, 12:51
70 Crew maybe ?

brown_hornet
9th Aug 2007, 13:30
The question was raised recently whether a 737 flightcrew base was on the cards for Adelaide given they have quite a few aircraft terminate there each night. The response was something along the lines that they would need 70 pilots to make it work so isn't viable:{ Perhaps that's where the 70 figure comes from?

ITCZ
9th Aug 2007, 14:58
70 pilots?

Don't ask the Captain to confirm -- check with the Food and Bev manager at the pub!

.... or the receptionist at Studio 207 :p

Outkast
16th Aug 2007, 00:18
Just following on from this topic - could someone please tell me what sort of requirement there is to live with in certain distance of your base?
ie what if you live a 90 min drive from the airport you are based at or even a 3 hr drive?

Mr. Hat
16th Aug 2007, 00:59
What happens if a major disruption occurs and you get bumped for a couple of days. I know its unlikely...but has it happened? Has anyone got a story of a comuter not making it in time...?

*Lancer*
16th Aug 2007, 01:40
You have to be able to meet a departure time within 3 hours from notification when on a standby. Given that sign on is an hour before that, you can't be more than 2 hours away from mascot (when on standby). Commuters often ride up the front on flights that are full...