PDA

View Full Version : VAT Exempt whilst serving overseas

FFP
8th Aug 2007, 23:21
Fellow PPRuNer's

Anyone have any dealings with purchasing UK goods (through a UK company) but having them delivered to a BFPO address and thus not paying the VAT ? Would you have to pay local tax on it's arrival ? Am thinking in particular those people serving outside the E.U (even as far afield at the US ;))

Company I'm dealing with have mentioned it, but seem to think that my admin office will have a specific form that needs to be stamped. Miles away from my "admin office" (a curse and a blessing ..) so wondered if there was some corporate knowledge on here.

Thanks !

Pilot Pacifier
9th Aug 2007, 00:51
Hi...

Amazon run a scheme where you can purchase their goods at full price, you then tell them that you are serving overseas at a BFPO addy and they will refund the VAT. Check their terms and conditions for a better explanation.

Dell, if you are after a computer, laptop or accessories will send tax free. Use this link... www.dell.co.uk/epp This is their Employee Purchase Program, you would pay these prices, less VAT. When they sent out laptops to 'The Stan' earlier this year, they also knocked off the P&P and dropped the price even more.

The only trouble you may have is Mill Hill (soon to be RAF Northolt when the BFPO moves) accepting goods that are over 2kg. We had four laptops sent out, to were refused and two accepted (go figure!!!).

Hope this helps...

PP

Impiger
9th Aug 2007, 06:17
Recently back from a NATO spot. The deal on whether you pay VAT is tied down in your local satus of forces agreement. Just about everywhere I know has one that says visiting forces are tax exempt so you shouldn't have to pay VAT at source in UK or a local import tax/duty.

Now the difficult bit is the UK mail order supplier. Trading VAT free is straightforward for them. BUT they must have a carriage agreement with BFPO. Not everyone does and it is definately worth checking. I've bought books, CDs, small electrical items (Bose, iPod) cameras, uniform items and clothes this way. Not sure how widely applied the 2Kg figure is but it didn't seem to be a factor into Europe.

Hope this helps

JagRigger
9th Aug 2007, 09:39
Whilst on a 4 month det in Turkey a few years ago, I was getting goods in from the UK VAT free to a BFPO address.

Scribbly dee
9th Aug 2007, 10:02
I am on my second BFPO tour and have found various methods for getting and indeed excuses from companies for refusing VAT free goods. Amazon have a strange system whereby they send you the goods, then once it has been dispatched you send an e-mail to them and they refund the VAT. One or two companies I have dealt with have required a letter from the CO of the Unit saying the goods have arrived and the Unit is tax free. Some companies wont give you VAT free and tell you to claim it back yourself:eek:. Having investigated this with HM Customs it is lengthy and nearly impossible to do:ugh:. My best advice would be to only use companies that will accept that you are overseas and will deliver VAT free to BFPO. There are loads of firms out there and the more flexible ones always get my business:ok:.

As for the 2 Kg rule. I have found that it depnds on how Mill Hill are feeling on the day and when the goods arrive at Mill Hill. I sent 4 boxes last Christmas to a BFPO address each weighting about 25Kgs and they all arrived, admittedaly not until 28 Dec 07 but it was a great New Years party even if Chrimbo was a bit sparse on goodies:ok:. I think it depends on how busy they are and whether they are all busy in the ''jumping machine'' stamping on the parcels or not:=.

catbert
9th Aug 2007, 13:40
Recently back from 2 BFPO tours, one NATO one not. The status of forces point is well made, this determines whether there is any requirement for local taxes (or "admin charges" in Holland). Generally however I have found that a suitably worded letter with an offical stamp works wonders for most suppliers. If you have a storecard for M&S, Debenhams or House of Fraser then will deduct VAT from your accounts directly. For larger items the company needs to have an agreement with BFPO (Dell have and I had 3 PCs delivered without any difficulty).

Vortex_Generator
9th Aug 2007, 14:24
I have a letter quoting the relevant regs that is good for Germany. PM me for the text.