PDA

View Full Version : Spotter Alert - Chinook over Whitton

ExRAFRadar
8th Aug 2007, 18:42
Cant believe i am going to ask this but I have had a few Vino's.

Watching a rerun Dr Who with daughter and wife ( well partner) when I felt a presences. Patio doors open so I could feel something was coming from the West.

Mind snapped back 20 odd years to Mount Kent and boll*ck drops. "Wokka" I shouted and bolted for the garden.

With the family looking at me like I was mad I jumped on a patio chair and watched the Wokka pass no more than 300 yards South of my garden.

As I stood there explaining to my daughter what I was so excited about I heard it coming back. Yes, this time East to West, right over the garden. Went about a mile then turned South West.

I was in hog heaven. Now I know I am going to get slated but, what was it doing this close to Heathrow ? ( my house is about 3 miles from the runway threshold)

Civvies were coming in from the east so no conflict there but it is such an unusual occurrence that I am moved to ask on here.

As usual, flak jacket donned, be gentle :)

Seloco
8th Aug 2007, 22:42
ExRR: if you were to move south of the A316 just a couple of miles you could get that excited almost every day; we have a pretty consistent wokka run up and down the big river....

Never Alert
8th Aug 2007, 23:01
Oh my god,

I think he's actually serious...:ok:

G-BPED
9th Aug 2007, 12:14
ExRR: Move to Chineham. Being close to RAF Odiham we have Chinooks around almost everyday and sometimes at night.

ExRAFRadar
10th Aug 2007, 08:20
I appreciate everyone telling me to move South of the 316 or to a nearby Wokka base. :)

Working in Richmond I sometimes see the Wokka following the Thames but I was just surprised to see one so far away from the river and so near Heathrow.

As an aside is it urban legend that all Rotary flights through London have to be flown near the river ? (except Military and Police of course)

ShyTorque
10th Aug 2007, 08:55
No, some of us are scared of water. The single engined ones aren't, they need to follow the river in case the donkey splutters. Wouldn't want them in your garden ;)