PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Renewals After Age 40 ?

Canada Goose
8th Aug 2007, 17:16
I seem to recall hearing/reading a few months ago that Class 1 medicals are now good for 12 months after age 40. Am I completely imagining this and are they still in fact only valid for 6 months ?

Cheers,
CG.

mutt
8th Aug 2007, 17:30
It depends on which JAA country you live in. UK should be yearly, Ireland stuck with 6 months!

Mutt

'I' in the sky
8th Aug 2007, 17:53
Also depends on the type of operation, still every six months for single pilot ops - I think.

Manual Reversion
8th Aug 2007, 19:30
Normal airline stuff, unless you happen to be flying single crew public transport, then it's good for a year !

acebaxter
9th Aug 2007, 07:12
I just renewed my class 1 in Ireland: Good for 12 months now.

:D

Canada Goose
9th Aug 2007, 12:50
Thanks for the replies so far. So am I correct in thinking that there was a recent change in the validity period from 6 to 12 months.

Also, is this now valid up to the age of 65 or does it drop down to 6 months at an interim age of say 50 or 55 ?

Cheers,
CG.

Whirlybird
9th Aug 2007, 16:15
There is a PDF file called "JAA Medical Certificate Expiry Dates", which gives ALL the relevant details connected with this. It's somewhere on the CAA site, and I tried to post the link, but it didn't work. If you google "JAA Medical Certificate Expiry Dates" it should be at the top of the list, and will tell you all you need to know.

rightbank
18th Aug 2007, 09:06
No need to go to any links as its all printed on the bottom left hand corner of your (uk) medical certificate.

"Class 1 single pilot air transport operations carrying passengers", under 40- valid 12 months, 40 plus-valid 6 months.

"Class 1 other commercial operations" (i.e. multi crew, aerial work etc.) under 60-valid 12 months, 60 plus- valid 6 months.

It also shows the validity against age for class 2 and ECGs etc.

Canada Goose
21st Aug 2007, 09:19
I spoke to an AME last night (not the one I've used for the last 3 years as he has semi-retired and I can't get an appointment with him in a timely manner and the one day he now works I'm away from home) to make an appointment for a renewal and he seemed pretty sure that my medical would only be valid for 6 months, which is frustrating as I am applying for multi crew positions. The issue I feel that may have clouded things is I told him I fly single pilot paradrop. However, I did point out that this is not commercial, i.e. I don't get paid for it and other pilots that fly there only have PPL. He seemed to feel that this didn't make any difference ! In fact he said he had just confirmed with the CAA as one of his 'patients' has a PPL and a Class 1 (which seems weird unless they are working towards a CPL?) and as they are over 40 they have to renew it every 6 months.

He also said that if your medical expires by more than 28 days then the CAA want to know why and reports have to be submitted. Well guess what - that was last week for me if my medical really was only valid for 6 months !! :eek:

What I find frustrating is that there seems to be general confusion and contradiction and perhaps some of the rules are open to interpretation somewhat by AME's. On the plus side he said that following the overhaul last December, an eye exam with an optician is no longer required at this point if you eyes are better than -5/6 dioptre which mine are !!

CG.
:confused:

Whirlybird
21st Aug 2007, 11:38
Canada Goose,

Check this out in the way I suggested. Your AME is wrong. I'm not surprised; I had mine insisting a few months ago that students were passengers and as an instructor I needed a medical every six months. He even phoned some idiot at the CAA who didn't know their own rules, who confirmed it! I sent him a copy of the document I mentioned in my last post - has he had the courtesy to thank me...not on your life. AMEs are doctors who by definition think they're God. If you do a search you'll find a thread from last February or thereabouts when I asked about this, and various people were saying the AMEs needed better information from the CAA, and they do. I just don't trust mine to know this stuff any more; I'm the pilot, I'll find out about aviation law and inform HIM!!!!!!! And I suggest you do the same.

As for not letting it expire, a load of crap! I got a Class 1 before I did my CPL, then let it lapse, then got one again before I got my FI rating - no problem at all. AMEs hate you doing this as it messes up all the nice regular dates of tests for them. Well, just offer to do the really, really simple mental arithmatic for him; it's not a big deal.

As you may have gathered, I am totally pissed off with AMEs; they don't know about all this stuff - and they should!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I notice you live in Shropshire. Do you see an AME in Cheshire by any chance? PM me about this if you like.

Canada Goose
21st Aug 2007, 13:52
Whirlybird,
Thanks for replying again. I did check out the link I think you referring to previoulsy, this one I believe
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=531
I agree with you - I think the AME is wrong and I think I need to agree this with him prior to my visit. I fly (non-commercially) paradropping. The other main pilot is in his 40's and flies on a PPL with a Class 2 medical which he has to renew every 2 years !!!!! How can that be fair ????
I do need to sort this out prior to being driven down a route of paying double every year for my medical when in all likelihood it is not necessary. My understaning of 'Single pilot commercial air transport operations carrying passengers ' is air taxi !
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED-MedicalCertificateExpiryDates[2362].pdf
For pilots aged between 40 and 59 on the date of their examination the validity varies according to the type of flying undertaken
Type of Flying Validity period
Single pilot commercial air transport operations carrying passengers 6 months
Other commercial operations, eg multi-pilot, flying instructor 1 year
Whirlybird - check your PM's.
Cheers,
CG.