PDA

View Full Version : Has OBL been seen in Dorset?

miles magistrate
8th Aug 2007, 12:56
I am not one to complain but for goodness sake, I am sat on my deck in the sunshine (which has not been a frequent event this summer) trying to have a quiet glass of Shiraz and for the last two days you lot have been bombarding the Isle of Purbeck with constant Fast Jet stuff. I have just had a Tonka go by at VERY VERY low level to pull up with his arse of fire. :mad:
I do like a bit of action occasionally, but not in my own back yard and not for 2 days solid, frankly we do not spend the vast sums of money we do on property here to be subjected to this abuse – so bugger off to Wales or wherever it is you normally play!! ;)

SaddamsLoveChild
8th Aug 2007, 13:01
Ok I will bite, I am sure the residents of Dorset thought the same thing during WWII...not! Possibly you should have bought a house in Ashtead, theres a couple of wars going on you know.

NIMBY..................Get over it and enjoy the show.

Low Ball
8th Aug 2007, 13:04
MM
Making a wild stab here and assuming you are not taking the pimms, you sound like real fun to be around.
Bye Billy no mates
LB

mlc
8th Aug 2007, 13:26
Living in the Malvern Hills, it's an everyday occurrence for me (and the kids). Little 'un jumped out of bed to look out of his window last night when a Chinook came over scraping the tiles. Tornados and Harriers..common as muck :)

They love it...(although I'm sure you're taking the proverbial)

miles magistrate
8th Aug 2007, 13:49
SLC
Thanks for the very helpful comments.
I actually meant to be little tongue in check. Guess I will never learn!!
Took me awhile to find Ashtead on the Map –I am sure it must be a very nice place, if you like that sort of thing.
The residents of Dorset will not forget WW11 (or any other War) in a rush. I will remember it and do so frequently. I had several relatives killed and my father shot down. He was to spend 4 years as a POW and not a day went by when he forgot the War and what it did to him.
Thanks for reminding me about the two latest spats. It was only a short time ago that I got back from one and only a little longer since I returned from the other, I guess my memory must be going. I do still remember the 30years service I gave to Queen and Country.
PS - Me a NIMBY surely not

A2QFI
8th Aug 2007, 14:01
A little difficult to reconcile the contents of post 1 and post 6 - do you suffer from bi-polar disorder?

miles magistrate
8th Aug 2007, 14:05
No just manic depression caused by all this BLOODY NOISE!!

miles magistrate
8th Aug 2007, 14:09
Do Not mention Caves - You will have this lot divert to you in a nano second.

I am sure they are hitting Tilly Whim caves as we speak!!

sedburgh
8th Aug 2007, 14:20
From: http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/index.cfm?storyid=208C851E-1143-EC82-2E031DBE3582A9C8

The Ministry of Defence has announced that a small-scale air exercise will take place over parts of Dorset on 7th & 8th August 07. The Exercise is designed to practice close air support operations and forward air control techniques; this is essential training for the UK Aircrews and Ground Forces and allows them to practice various procedures before possible deployment to operational theatres.
Exercise aircraft will operate in the general area of Bridport, Dorchester and Weymouth and flying will take place on both days, during daylight hours, between 1000 and 1700.
Aircraft types involved will include Tornado and Hawk.
Most Exercise flying will be at medium level; however, some low level operations will be required but any time spent flying at low level during this exercise will be the minimum necessary to achieve the task with every effort being made to minimise disturbance. Additionally, where low flying operations have been arranged as part of the exercise, this precludes the use of the same area by aircraft carrying out routine low-level training flying.

aviate1138
8th Aug 2007, 14:26
Miles Magistrate.
Wear ear plugs - the wine will taste the same. :)
Aviate 1138
PS You must have NIMBY potential or why did you post such a trivial item?

Go on Tonkas and Wokkas enjoy yourselves!

miles magistrate
8th Aug 2007, 14:30
Tonka that just ran in at 1527 - crap route selection from IP to Target. You missed me by at least 300m. Come on boys and girls if you are going to do it lets have some panache. Rate 1 turns breaking away from the target is for pussies.

The Swinging Monkey
8th Aug 2007, 15:49
miles,
I think you should stop drinking the old vino now cos you appear to be completely off the plot old boy!!

Just be grateful that they don't have red stars or swaztikas on them!!

Best wishes
TSM

sarboy w****r
8th Aug 2007, 18:54
MLC,

Sorry if I woke your child up yesterday, we were practising for Afghanistan...

SBW

Seldomfitforpurpose
8th Aug 2007, 19:01
MM,

You will have to excuse them all as your very obvious tongue in cheek snipe in post 1 and all susequent posts is as plain as the nose on my face to see...........big clue the winking smiley :rolleyes:

Hope you are enjoying the show chap :ok:

pulse1
8th Aug 2007, 19:06
If they don't like it in West Dorset we could do with some in the East of the county like we used to. Although we still get the occasional Chinook, we hardly ever see a fast jet anymore.:{

mlc
8th Aug 2007, 19:34
"MLC,

Sorry if I woke your child up yesterday, we were practising for Afghanistan...

SBW"

Not at all..as I said, they love it.

My final appointment was in Yeovilton listening to Harriers spooling up at all times of the day and night, so your Chinny ain't a problem. :)

Razor61
9th Aug 2007, 12:50
Sod Dorset, or the Malverns, severe lack of activity over Mid Devon lately, apart from that is, 8x F-15Es attacking my town the other day, complaints galore at 08:30 in the morning with constant run-ins for an hour!! I Loved it, the lazy folk in the town didn't.

More please....
I'll give you co-ords if you want :E

Max Shutterspeed
9th Aug 2007, 22:00
If you guys want something to practice close air support against, the little wankers in the car park near me that have stereos going boom boom, no airbox on the motor and driving along with the handbrake on are prime targets.

Please despatch Tonka, Harrier, or even nip up the road from Dishforth with an Apache to dispatch a bit of a lesson ASAP.

BTW, lots of F2's returning to Leeming tonight looked ever so pretty at medium height. It would only have taken a quick heat seeking thingy to sort the job out on the way by.

Favourite bit of low flying I've seen recently was in the Lake District last year camping. Regular stream of traffic, kids loved it, wife not quite so thrilled. Hawk at a bit low, Tornado VERY low and dived down the valley along the side wall out of sight, then a couple of C130's copying 5 minutes later.

Keep up the good work and make as much noise as you like.

Max.

ACW599
9th Aug 2007, 22:55
Despite my laying down a challenge last year, no Tornado has yet found SJ 328150. No other RAF aircraft has either.

Clearly no current RAF aircrew (except Vigilant drivers, of course) have the necessary skills to find this very difficult location.

But we live in hope . . .

wokkameister
12th Aug 2007, 19:01
Noise is a perception thing. You think wokkas are bad, then you hear a jet. Think Jets are bad, try a 4 ship of wokkas at 3am (if only we had 4 servicable in the UK). Maybe we should swap bases every now and again until the public appreciate a constant tone.
In the far sandpit at the moment. The locals have a rather unique noise complaint system which doesnt involve phone calls or letters to the CRO.

SirToppamHat
12th Aug 2007, 20:26
Despite my laying down a challenge last year, no Tornado has yet found SJ 328150. No other RAF aircraft has either.

By my reckoning this is:

52°43’41.19” N 002°59’42.67” W

I think this is in Wales ... just.

But I might be wrong!

STH
AKA 'Bored of Lincolnshire'

ACW599
12th Aug 2007, 21:01
>By my reckoning this is 52°43’41.19” N 002°59’42.67” W. I think this is in Wales ... just.<

Indeed it is -- just over the border. The actual co-ordinates are N52°43’42” W002°59’48” (or in decimal 52.72842N 2.99677W). Failing that, SJ 32790 14987 (OSGB36). The UTM is 30U 500225 5842050. It's in LFA9, but Shawbury Low Level is on 376.675 and Ops is Extn 7227 (DFTS 95531).

But no RAF aircraft will ever find it . . .

212man
13th Aug 2007, 01:38
I assume, from the large aerial in your garden, that you are a radio ham too? ;)

(Boots lost the photos I took:E)

Re-Heat
13th Aug 2007, 03:07
Could be get a noise request thread started then...:E...I'll ask for Central London down the Thames - fewer helicopters and more noise please.

Nah, someone will deem it a security risk, but it's a thought...

ACW599
13th Aug 2007, 08:48
>I assume, from the large aerial in your garden, that you are a radio ham too?<

GW4FRX couldn't possibly comment :-)

ExRAFRadar
13th Aug 2007, 09:52
Bit surprised by some of the venom in the early posts to what appears to be a gentle windup.

SOH Failure for some of you ?

I thought the smileys gave it away but obvouisly not. And of course posting on Pprune will always get an exericse stopped. :hmm:

A589
13th Aug 2007, 10:16
DJ Bazza did;)

ACW599
13th Aug 2007, 11:18
>DJ Bazza did<

Talk is cheap. Where are the incriminating photographs? ;)

Cpt_Pugwash
13th Aug 2007, 12:19
You forgot IO82MR, John. Bet your QRZ.com lookups have gone through the roof now.;)

ACW599
13th Aug 2007, 13:04
>You forgot IO82MR, John. Bet your QRZ.com lookups have gone through the roof now.<

Funny you should say that. Now there's a Nimrod R1 circling overhead, a black Chinook hovering just over the wood at the back and a black Omega has just pulled up outside the

reynoldsno1
13th Aug 2007, 20:34
The residents of Dorset will not forget WW11
Being a Dorset lad meself originally, I don't think too many of the present residents of Dorset were there in WW2 - last time I was in me Mum's village I could not hear a single Dorset accent....
If they don't like it in West Dorset
The isle of Purbeck 'tis in the East of the county...:8

A589
17th Aug 2007, 18:43
Brixmis ???????