PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Airlines and MOR reporting.

coopervane
8th Aug 2007, 07:12
Hi there,

Having witnessed an incident at a UK airport where a foreign carrier was guilty of gross engineering misconduct..........Where do you stand with MOR reporting?

How much clout does the CAA have in such incidents?

Here is the incident which I filed an ASR and an MOR along with another engineer who witnessed the incident.

Positioned the company van on a stand at EGXX whilst waiting for our company aircraft to arrive. The stand was occupied by a foreign carrier Airbus A330-200 waiting to push back with tug attached.

Two foreign engineers were by the nose. One on the headset and another close by. Both myself and a colleague witnessed a torrent of water coming from the rear toilet service panel which was running down the fuse onto the ground. Concerned by this, I ran over to the engineers and told them what I had seen and indicated that they should take a look before pushback.

Minutes past and neither of them took any action. The aircraft was pushed back and engine start took place. Concerned by the lack of action, a ground ops vehicle was flagged down and the driver was asks to contact ATC to inform the Captain of the aircraft. By this time the engineer on the headset had disconnected and was walking away back to his van.

The Captain must have received the info from ATC as he indicated to the engineers he had a problem. The engineer walked back to the aircraft and plugged his headset in. Very little time passed before he disconnected once again and walked away. We could only assume he had told the Captain there was no problem.

As the aircraft taxied away, water was still streaming from the rear of the aircraft.

Concerned by the lack of action we drove over to the engineers van and voiced our concern. We said that the aircraft should be contacted and brought back to stand. There seem to be some reaction from them of agreement so we left as our company aircraft was coming on stand.

Minutes later I saw the aircraft take off!

The main concern over this is the lack of action. In itself the leak was of reasonable concern. Icing could have taken place inside behind the toilet service panel door possibly causing detachment. Also the water may have streamed into the airflow over the horizontal stab causing ice to form on the leading edge. The main thing though is it could have been anything causing the problem and for an engineer to ignore the advice of others is in my mind criminal.

I do hope something will come of the reporting action as the carrier should be taken to task over it.

Your comments please.

Coop & Bear:ok:

coopervane
8th Aug 2007, 18:58
So ASFKAP in your view it wasn't really an incident then? Not worthy of reporting?

Coop & Bear

Long Bay Mauler
9th Aug 2007, 06:54
How about indicating the name of the airline,just so I don't ever have to fly on them.

That sort of an issue,in not at least investigating a possible defect,is criminal.

How did the engineers determine what the problem was?

Even if it was a quality issue and not an airworthinessissue ,I bet the pax were none too impressed with probably most of the dunnies out of action.

Sounds like something an Indonesian airline might contemplate!!!!

coopervane
10th Aug 2007, 08:00
The airline in question I think should remain anon. Don't want to lead you up the Nile.:ok:

Coop & Bear

3bars
10th Aug 2007, 13:14
I agree with ASFKAP.... sounds more like the water service panel valve not closed properly.... wouldn't have thought it was an MOR issue. Airplanes leak water all the time...from drains and packs etc

Bus429
10th Aug 2007, 13:53
From CAP 382 MOR Scheme

3.3.3 Incident: Means an occurrence, other than an accident, associated with the operation of an aircraft which affects, or would affect, the safety of operation.

Applicability
5.1 Category of Aircraft Involved
The ANO specifies the aircraft covered by the MOR Scheme as:
• Any aircraft operated under an air operator's certificate granted by the CAA
• Any turbine-powered aircraft which has a certificate of airworthiness issued by the
CAA
In the case of organisations providing a service or facility for aircraft operating over or in the UK (e.g. Air Traffic Services, airfields, etc.) any occurrence meeting the required criteria should be reported regardless of the nationality of the aircraft involved.

The last bit of this could apply.

coopervane
14th Aug 2007, 18:01
I think the point has been lost here. I saw something wrong. I reported it to the engineer concerned. Absolutely no action was taken. The leak could have been anything. He never looked.

To say aircraft leak water all the time is a slap happy attitude.

Going back a few years, the Boeing 727 had a special check on the forward toilet service panel after an accident where blue ice formed and broke off into the airflow. The result being detachment of the number three engine.

Where there is concern then report it. It is far better for the CAA to find no action is necessary than to have a serious problem go unreported.

It is so easy to witness, comment and take no action. I will always be of the view that if you feel something is not right, do something about it.

Coop & Bear

Bus429
16th Aug 2007, 06:46
Sorry, coopervane; I thought your question was should you submit an MOR. You appear to have reported it the operator's maintainers, nobody else.