PDA

View Full Version : Getting PPL in South Africa

NewGirl
10th Feb 2001, 08:45
Hi,
I am deciding whether to get my PPL in 43 Air School or Progress Flight Academy - I understand they are both good but 43 Air School is more expensive - has mainly Pipers rather than Cessna 150's/172's. As a late 20's female, interested in just 'enjoying flying' rather than a career - where will I have the most fun and yet be sure I am safe in the air? Anyone been to Progess who can comment on the social/training atmosphere?
Thanks a million!

BEECH
10th Feb 2001, 13:15
NewGirl
Can't comment on Progress, but did my training at 43 and have only got good things to say about them. Aircraft are well maintained and good social life.

madherb
10th Feb 2001, 18:27
NewGirl suggest you contact [email protected] - they may be able to offer you some advice in this regard........good luck with the PPL.

smallfry
10th Feb 2001, 19:29
I went to 43 and had a ball, was a few years ago though. Nice part of South Africa as well. (Not great if you love fancy shops and malls though - unless you go to Port Elisabeth)

fourpaddles
10th Feb 2001, 21:22
newgirl,

with the sterling/rand exchange rate being the way it is, you could probably afford to get a professional licence in South Africa - something you should really consider. you say you want to fly for the fun of it, well how about having fun and getting paid for it as well - much better than being a weekend warrior with a hobby that gobbles queenies quicker than you thought possible, especially if you enjoy it. Capeesh? just think, you could become a clapped out cynical pratt like myself in a few easy steps...

Dirk
10th Feb 2001, 23:41
Went to 43 and did my PPL and Comm. there.

Had the time of my life and would do it all again. Great flying, scenery, people ... everything you need. The training is first class and very well supported.

Without getting into an argument of which school is the better one of the two - make sure you have done your research and talked to as many people as you can.

Hopefully that will point you to Port Alfed !!

Good luck
cheers
Dirk

GRpr
11th Feb 2001, 14:04
I can give you a lot of information about Progress, 43, Aptrac (new at PE airport), Algoa Flying Club (at PE airport), FTC and Phoebus Apollo at Jo'burg. I am not prepared to put all my views on public view, so e-mail me if you want more information.

Lard Beast
14th Feb 2001, 19:32
You could also try inland for a slightly cheaper approach without losing out on quality. Blue Chip Aviation at Wonderboom airport near Pretoria runs a complete course up to ATPL if you'd like to go that far and they're within an hour or two of the Kruger Park and other game viewing areas and about 40 minutes from Sun City by air. Fleet is C172s and Beech Duchess and no problems renting or arranging tours by air once you've qualified. Try web site at www.bluechip-avia.co.za (http://www.bluechip-avia.co.za) for more info.

warrior161
24th Feb 2001, 23:11
I did my Comm at 43 Air School, and believe me, it is the best school to go to if you want the fun of flying with a bunch of great people and excellent instructors!!! It was the best time of my life. You get professional training on very well maintained aircraft. They have their own aircraft technicians on base. You will definitely make new friends.

I really hope that you make the right choice!!!!

If you want more info, go to their web page.

Good luck

Warrior161

NewGirl
28th Feb 2001, 04:22
Thank you all for responding ! Helped to make my mind up - I start at 43 Air School in May and cannot wait!!

Really appreciated everyone taking the time to respond!
Happy Flying!