PDA

View Full Version : Why are the RAF sending VC-10s to Maastricht?

Razor61
7th Aug 2007, 16:16
Several VC-10s in and out of Maastricht and then returning to St Athan.
What is so complicated that we have to send VC-10s now to Europe? They have received a paint job too apparently.
I thought St Athan was a place where we could do pretty much everything maintenance wise and paintshop wise (aswell as scrapping them)?

airborne_artist
7th Aug 2007, 16:29
It must be driven by bean-counters - there can't be any other reason.

stickmonkeytamer
7th Aug 2007, 16:33
The Maastricht Upper Area Control centre (MUAC) of Eurocontrol is also located on the airport- great visit if you're into that kind of thing. The aviation medical centre has some fit female nurses as well...:E

SMT

BEagle
7th Aug 2007, 16:45
Probably cheaper than Chateauroux or wherever it was in Hungary to get a repaint done........

Beancounter driven, without the shadow of a doubt!

Exrigger
7th Aug 2007, 16:51
From memory I believe the painting was and still is done by Air Livery at Filton, if the aircraft cannot be painted in its booked slot they are sent to Toulouse to be painted, allthough in this case it probably went to MST in Maastrich. I cannot recall any VC10s being re-painted at St Athan.

Truck2005
7th Aug 2007, 20:23
Your right ER there have never been any full paint jobs done here on VC 10s. (Apart from the surface restoration after the various NDT inspections).

There have been a couple of a/c that have returned here to complete contracted 'over and above' work but none from Maastrich, (of course, there was the infamous stealth version that had everybody going from Cambridge to here).

Apart from that, this IS the one stop VC 10 site. (Wonders are our game, miracles can, (and do), get done but they take a little longer):)