PDA

View Full Version : Whats the go with the $$$ of private hire??

SMOUC
7th Aug 2007, 12:44
Gday all,
Just had a look into doing my F/W BFR................WTF $240/hr for a 172!!!
Thought it might have been an overpriced operator.....but no everyone else is around about the same!!
Either the price has gone up over the last four years or I'm just a tight A#S&.................Probably a combination of both.
Anyone know someone with a 172 for private hire in DWN?.............Preferably for less than the above price.
SMOUC

SmokingHole
7th Aug 2007, 13:06
Sure you read it right? I mean, if you can't spell thought....

Thaught it might have been

your reading skills are also questionable.:D

Chadzat
7th Aug 2007, 13:28
you break it down- it doesn't sound overly expensive

$240/hr
= $218 ex GST

$52 instructor (if on award)
$57 fuel (34L/hr $1.70L)
$12 landing fee

= $97 for everything else. (profit-maintenance-oil) Thats IF its a FS owned aircraft.

It isn't cheap anymore unfortunately. Even for a 172! Be thankful you don't have to do annual IFR renewals in something like a Baron!:sad:

SMOUC
7th Aug 2007, 13:38
Chadzat,

Understood, I must say the more they charge the more the drivers get.

I was paying $180/hr 4 yrs ago, mind you my instructor had all of 450hrs and was probably working for two cheesburgers and small chips a day.

I dont mind paying when there is an instructor on board, but I need a cheap rate for private hire.

As for the renewal in a Baron.................I'm glad I dont have to pay for a CIR M/E Heli renewal, gotta love in-company C&T!

SMOUC

puff
7th Aug 2007, 14:21
SMOUC - I'm sure others here that own a/c will come to the defense of the prices on offer at the moment, but i've also got a few friends that own a/c, i've seen some bills and trust me you'd pay the hire rates a lot easier if you saw it.

I agree they have gone through the roof in recent years but so has the price of fuel, and most of the airport owners have doubled if not tripled their parking fees. Take into consideration engine/prop overhauls, brakes, tyres, 100 hourlys, insurance, if IFR instrument inspections it just goes on and on.

Also when the things are worth (depending on models) up to $200k you can't begrudge someone trying to make a few bucks in the process(if they do) Most of the time any money they might make they normally put back into the a/c with a new paint job, avionics etc.

I personally thank any person that owns an a/c and put them online with organisations and allow others to fly it, at the end the day I feel in most cases the hirers get more out of it than the owners do especially the way some people treat them.

SMOUC
7th Aug 2007, 14:41
Gday Puffy,

Concur whole heartedly, I have ssen the DOC's for the A/C I have operated in the past skyrocket, especially since fuel costs have gone through the roof (But mainly because most people are actually doing the required maintenace these days too (I did say MOST).

But I did get a shock when I enquired about doing some F/W flying. I figured I'd be up for about $200/hr. Another thing, In Darwin a 172's landing fee is $19 so it all adds up.....A lot better than my old stomping ground YBHM-$75/landing............We did have a dispensation tho.

Thanks for the run down fellas, clearly a bit outta touch with the F/W side of GA!!

I will have to dig a bit deeper..........bugga.

However, If anyone does know of a PVT A/C in the DWN area (single) that is up for hire I would be interested (preferably 172,182,chero or similar) PM me, insurance no dramas.

SMOUC