PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Rating in Australia?

TINTIN25
7th Aug 2007, 09:23
Has anyone got any suggestions of a good flying school to do my multi-engine command instrument rating in Australia! I'll consider going anwhere that has good training and possible job prospects near by?

Is it worth doing just yet if I only have the bear minimums ie: CPL with instructor rating with only 250 hours or should I wait till I have over 500 hours. The current flying school that trained me to CPL level says I'll find it difficult with only a few hundred hours? Are they holding me back or do they have a valid point to get more hours before doing the instrument rating?

I found the IREX exam a piece of cake and passed on my first attempt.

redsnail
7th Aug 2007, 11:26
If your current flying school says that you'll find it a bit harder with the experience you have versus getting a couple of hundred more hours then I would say that they are advising you correctly.

Did they say they won't do your CIR now? Or did they just give you a heads up on the possible cost overun?

The IREX doesn't necessarily reflect the IR flight training.

I don't know if this school still exists but check out the school in Innisfail, QLD. If you do a good job he may be able to get you a start in Cairns or Horn Is or Mt Isa.

I think Ad Astra in Jandakot isn't a bad IR school. Well, they were the ones being recommended to guys in the Kimberley if they didn't have an IR already.

TINTIN25
7th Aug 2007, 13:45
Instrument rating at Flight Training Adelaide

I checked Flight Training Adelaide's web site and they claim they will only do your instrument rating if you have done your CPL with them. Sounds a bit strange to knock back someone willing to give them almost 20k for an instrument rating?

As for the comment about good instrument rating schools in Western Australia is there special training required to fly in the Kimberly Region? Wouldn't mind trying that for a year or two.

I won't mention the flying school I am with at the moment but I have to question some of their teaching methods used compared to the bigger flying schools who get you through the ratings in a set time period. Without any fuss?

redsnail
7th Aug 2007, 15:10
Special training for the Kimberley? No, only how to stand your round and so forth. I flew up there for about 4-5 years in total doing various things. It's great but hard work. (and not the best paid but at least I got paid) :D