PDA

View Full Version : Is Qantas' DC really the Boss Cocky at CASA?

Torqueman
7th Aug 2007, 02:03
From reading many of the stories in the media recently, I am beginning to wonder if DC is in fact the Boss of CASA. He definately appears to be their spokesperson.

Everytime a maintenance issue is raised and people bring this to the attention CASA, DC responds. :ugh:

DC wants all personel to bring it to the attention of the company, which I might add, they are getting sick of doing by the sounds of. The company then do there best to discredit the employee or the facts presented. Then of course people will attempt to bypass the inadequate system the company have and go public.

Most recent media speculation. B767 grounded twice stranding passengers.

CASA comment ? Nil

Qantas DC comment? Nothing to see here move along........ everythings hunkydory here. We're all too busy being the safest airline in the world to worry about such things. No ones perfect, blah, blah, blah.......:suspect:

So I can only conclude that CASA and Qantas must be one entity. Their lack of response and involvement signifies their acceptance and endorsement.......

Comments ?

International Trader
7th Aug 2007, 02:23
Didn't you know that Qantas "invented" the aeroplane.
Yep...one day before the Wright Bros!

The Mr Fixit
7th Aug 2007, 02:36
Ever seen Bruce Byron and David Cox in the same place at the same time ? :eek:

Lodown
7th Aug 2007, 03:26
Is there anyone left at CASA? It seems the lights are on, but...

neville_nobody
7th Aug 2007, 04:22
I think aviation in this country is in a sad state of affairs. Unfortunately noone with the power wants to do anything about it. The airlines cry poor, outsource everything because Australia is to expensive even though we do it better and reward management through ludicrus bonus incentives, CASA don't seem to want to do anything, or don't have the resources even if they wanted to.

Unfortunately it is going to take a major accident and a coronial inquiry to get aviation back to the standards it once had. The funny thing is if there is an accident everyone will be blaming everybody else and diving for cover.

Ultimately CASA are responsible, yet they are not proactive. If Qantas have a major engineering failure or accident THEN CASA will be jumping up and down, but until then CASA won't do anything. This is exactly what happened with the incident at Skippers. Not to mention the Transair debacle.

Yet they come and hammer GA operaters into the ground over all sorts of non issues. If they regulated major airlines like they regulated LCRPT then maybe there won't be to many problems!

blueloo
7th Aug 2007, 04:27
I think its just got to the point where CASA are out of their depth. Maybe the FAA can be brought into this - after all a large percentage of QFs fleet are boeings, and they do spend a bit of the time on their way to the USA. If QF were told no planes are allowed to enter US Airspace then maybe someone will take notice.

Dropt McGutz
7th Aug 2007, 04:43
I think that Neville has summed it up perfectly. CASA go after GA because it is easy.

Southern_Sealion
7th Aug 2007, 06:04
I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that CASA monitors the Qantas maintenance system not the actual maintenance itself.

The question of course then is "Are Qantas operating according to their approved maintenance system?". As long as they are, and are catching defects as they occur, and as long as the overall numbers of defects and incidents isn't rising signifigantly, well, the system is working isn't it?

If you read between the lines of the ATSB report on Ansett, you will discover that it wasn't the discovery of defects that grounded parts of the Ansett fleet, it was the discovery by ATSB/CASA(?) that their maintenance management system was broke and they simply didn't know what had been done and what hadn't.

(Please note, this is not meant to be an apology for their treatment of their staff)

Torqueman
7th Aug 2007, 16:37
I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that CASA monitors the Qantas maintenance system not the actual maintenance itself.

The question of course then is "Are Qantas operating according to their approved maintenance system?". As long as they are, and are catching defects as they occur, and as long as the overall numbers of defects and incidents isn't rising signifigantly, well, the system is working isn't it?

Southern Sealion, while the philosophy you state is correct.

Who monitors the maintenance organisations overseas. CASA certainly don't. Yeah they visit them for a couple of days. What are they going to say. Sorry Qantas you better push your planes up against the fence we're not happy with that overseas mob. I don't think they have the balls nor the inclination to start that Sh!t fight.

It has unfortunately become a pretty sad state in Oz.

I think toothless tiger is the appropriate description for them now. :yuk:

The Blurr
7th Aug 2008, 12:40
Try submitting a CAIR report and see who rings you first! :}

Henry The Octopus
7th Aug 2008, 13:14
blueloo has summed it up 100% correctly. CASA airline inspectors are largely non flying people - they receive some sim time (about 15 hours a year or thereabouts), so you can only exist on your previous experience for a limited period of time.

After that, as blueloo states, you are out of your depth.

As a consequence the industry in general, but particularly so at the airline level, is largely self regulating - it's as simple as that.

It's been proven time and time again over the years that in any form of commercial activity self regulation just does not work.

Just my thoughts.

Henry The Octopus.

Masif Eego
7th Aug 2008, 22:11
"I think its just got to the point where CASA are out of their depth."

How true !!!!

It's not hard to pull the wool over someones eyes, especially when they're spinning in their head.........hey Spaz......

Love them QCC audits !!!

:D

Jabawocky
7th Aug 2008, 22:33
Is there anyone left at CASA? It seems the lights are on, but...

They are around, escaping the cold winters days by sunning themselves in places like HID..... ramping private C172's, all smiles and the friendly face of CASA:).

J:oh:

blow.n.gasket
8th Aug 2008, 01:38
CASA ramp checkers,
We used to call them Mermaids.
C*nts with scales!