PDA

View Full Version : Elacin custom made earplugs

okay then
7th Aug 2007, 00:20
Just came back from my hearing test for a Class 1 and found my hearing is deteriorating so I am considering buying custom made earplugs that you can wear the whole time while you are at work (in the cockpit and outside on the apron). I am specifically looking at the Elacin ER FlexComfort earplug. Are there any pilots using them at the moment who can give me some feedback as to their effectiveness? They are rather costly and I want to be sure they are worth the investment.

Thanks!

Bob the Doc
7th Aug 2007, 19:13
Not a pilot but there is a company called Green Leopard (you will have to google it) that have a number of distributors in the UK. They have a huge range of 'injection moulded' earplugs. Originally aimed at motorcyclists and shooters but they certainly make sleeping in the back of a C17/C130 much more pleasant (fortunately, we only have to work one leg of an aeromed trip - but we don't have a slip crew in theatre!

Good luck

Bob

GyroSteve
13th Aug 2007, 14:58
I'm looking for a set of ear plugs which can be worn underneath a headset to reduce the amount of noise but which will still allow me to hear the intercom / radio. I've tried some Peltor ear plugs but they are too effective (can't hear the radio / intercomm well enough even at full blast).

Does anyone have any recommendations for suitable plugs? I don't mind paying for a set of custom made ones, but I'd like to be sure that they will do the job before investing.

Bob the Doc
13th Aug 2007, 15:49
Ask Green Leopard. They do a variety of plugs with different attenuating filters so you may be able to find one that is suitable. I think they do one with a tiny speaker inside which you might be able to get wired to your comms plug

Ray D'Avecta
13th Aug 2007, 18:40
At KLM, custom 'moulded' Elacin earplugs are standard issue to any pilots, apron staff and cabin crew who want them. Apron staff tend to wear them under their ear defenders, cabin crew wear them during the cabin service (especially on the turboprops), and even pilots who work in the less noisy cockpit types also wear them.

Basically they take a wax (no pun intended) mould of your ear canal (or whatever its called) and manufacture a set of ear plugs that are in theory, a perfect fit for you. They even mark them L and R to help you differentiate :)

I wear them myself most times whenever I am using the on board telex headsets (not noise cancelling) and find them to be excellent at cutting out backgound noise whilst still allowing me to hear the RT and normal conversation in the cockpit. A lot of my colleagues also wear them, and are happy with them.

A number of colleagues do however find that they get uncomfortable after a while. I suspect that this is a result of poor fitting or moulding of the ear plugs.

Whenever I have tried them in conjunction with noise cancelling headsets, I have found that the earplugs and the headsets themselves cut out nearly ALL sound, so I would not advise that particular combination.

rightbank
18th Aug 2007, 09:21
I've got some custom made ear plugs that go under the trade name of Sound Censors. I think they are a dutch company, but have a uk agent. I have had no problems with them. If you are interested pm me and I will try to find a contact no. or address.