PDA

View Full Version : IR training

r22-male
6th Aug 2007, 19:17
looking for advice, living in ireland going to england for my IR training. can i set myself up as a buisness so that i can reclaim the vat back as it would be a big saving. advice would be great. has anyone trained in bonds new sim any experience would be grateful.:rolleyes:

Whirlygig
7th Aug 2007, 05:51
Probably not - as far as tax legislation goes, Republic of Ireland and United Kingdom are two seperate countries!

If you registered for VAT in RoI, you could only reclaim VAT incurred in that country. If you registered in UK (where you would be incurring the VAT), you would need to be self-employed/freelance there in order to be charging the VAT on your invoices to clients.

If it is your plan to be self-employed as a pilot in the UK (and UK resident), then yes, you can but if you plan to return to RoI after your IR, then no.

Cheers

Whirls

120torque
7th Aug 2007, 08:18
could you buy an off the shelf Ltd company registered for pilot services/non scheduled flights and have it registered to a UK accountants ? Not sure if as a director you need to be UK resident ?

Martin1234
7th Aug 2007, 08:58
It's very common for non-UK residents to set up a UK Ltd company, most of the time due to the fact the there is no set minimum amount of value of the shares that are needed for the incorporation (e.g. £1 is sufficient and you are still not personally liable. This company can be run in any EC country).

If your Irish company is registered for VAT in Ireland you can reclaim VAT on training made in the UK. Have a look here.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&propertyType=document&resetCT=true&id=HMCE_PROD1_026296

I believe a third alternative is that you register a company in Ireland and then register for VAT in the UK. However, I believe the alternative as of above is the best one.

r22-male
7th Aug 2007, 19:54
thanks alot for the info much appreciated, can consider my options:ok: