PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in Maun

mali
6th Feb 2001, 14:04
Got a few mates heading Maun way soon, 1500-2000 hrs TT 700-800 multi Islanders and Barons, the rest C206 time. What are there chances of getting work straight away? Are they being too optomistic to expect an Islander job or will they have to do the obligatory 12 months on the 206?
Decent blokes, enjoy their beer at the end of the day and all bush experience...
What do you guys over there think??

Stonebird
8th Feb 2001, 15:08
I'm also looking for a job in Maun, starting July. I have only got 300-odd hours though, has anybody got any names or addresses for me please?

Thanks in advance.

AMEX
9th Feb 2001, 20:32
Stonebird: July is probably the wrong time to go. Recruitment is usually done from the end of December til March (during the quieter season). The rest of the year is very busy so no time to train. You needed 50 hours right hand seat before being able to operate solo so when the plane leave full most if not all the the times then no room for you. I am talking few years back but I think you have picked the wrong time. Go now if you can but the compettion seems quite fierce now, lots of guys seems to be heading that way. Good luck anyway, you ll have a great time there.

------------------
If you can't save the engine...save the airframe :D

wheels up
12th Feb 2001, 15:54
More contenders for the Maun UPC (Unemployed pilots club). Membership is automatic after the first rejected job application - members meet regularly at the Bush and Bull pub (also known as the Bullet and Ambush) or the swimming pool of the Sedia hotel.

Spent a month up there looking for a job (unsuccesfully) - the competition is cut-throat at the moment!!

Had a laugh (and a couple of beers) though.

[This message has been edited by wheels up (edited 14 February 2001).]

Tau
15th Feb 2001, 23:17
Stonebird, Amex is right July is the start of the busy season and by then all the charter companies have the pilots they need, it normally takes 2 months for the work permit to come through and to finish the 50 hours right hand seat training. So they like to hire from December thru to Feb.

Mali, if your mates have that much time why go to Maun?? They can proberly find something a little bigger, faster and quiter to fly than an Islander?? And yes there arn't many people who go start straight on the islanders or caravans.

The Bullet and Bush was a hell of a lot better when Ma Duck was running it as the Duck Inn!!

AMEX
16th Feb 2001, 04:10
Tau, yooung lion king.

Ma Duck and the duck inn will be stored in my memory forever.
Dumela ra.

------------------
If you can't save the engine...save the airframe :D