PDA

View Full Version : SAA Recruitment/Expats

dash 27
15th Nov 2000, 16:12
Just a quiry, do SAA take expats as S/O's and F/O's. Have 5000 hrs, Aust and USA ATPL, with both single and multi turb command in excess of 3000 hrs.
If they take guys outside SA, what sort of a life style would one expect. Do they offer the average standard airline packages. How about with a family. Do new guys go S/O on the 74's of straight F/o on the 73's.
Excuse my ignorance :)

skyvan
15th Nov 2000, 22:22
Minimum requirements for SAA are SA CPL, 500hrs, and SA Citizen (lets not talk about the flying scotsman here!).
Realisticaly, you would need SA ATP (writtens at least) and 1000hrs.
Expats are not employed, in the same way as Cathay and Korean.
The management is very patriotic, unless you're a returning MK/ANC exile, the citizenship is essential.

The other airlines here are also unlikely to recruit expats, unless there is a very good reason. There is an oversupply of pilots here, a lot with 1500-2000hrs, ATP exams complete, and some turbine time behind them.
So unless there was a startup with a strange AC, in which you were an acknowledged expert, the chances of a validation, in order to fly commercially, is not good.

Roundout
18th Nov 2000, 22:01
Cathay - no expat F/O's or S/O's recruited?Skyvan - wake up, smell the roses.

skyvan
20th Nov 2000, 00:29
Relax Roundout, I am fully aware that Cathay takes expats to FO and SO positions. I was sure that readers would understand the way the sentence was written, possibly it was grammatically incorrect, that SAA does not employ expats (non-SA citizens), in the same way that Cathay employs expats to all positions, and KAL expats as Captains.

The question was about SAA. I am sorry that you feel the need to respond in such a primary manner.

I now await your "on topic", and constructive response to the question.

By the way, my wife grows roses, so I smell them quite often!! :)

Roundout
20th Nov 2000, 22:34
No offence intended - just seemed a bit off the mark.