PDA

View Full Version : Complacent security at Geneva

DogfighterF22
6th Aug 2007, 13:13
Am I overreacting?

After collecting my own baggage from the carousel at Geneva I had noticed a large unattended bag in the baggage hall.

It had been unattended for quite a while.

As I was passing through Swiss customs I mentioned the unattended bag to them and they really couldn't give a sh*t. They were clearly not going to do anything about it.

"It happens all the time" they said, "You have your bags, what's the problem?" one officer chipped in.

At the same time Heathrow had been closed/evacuated because of unattended bags.

Is their assumption that, if your bags have got all the way to Geneva arrivals baggage hall then it will hev been pretty well screened already and so is not a threat?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Dogfighter.

Haven't a clue
6th Aug 2007, 14:16
There's usually a large collection of unclaimed bags dotted around LHR T1 baggage reclaim at 0500 each time I pass through. I guess baggage which makes it onto an aircraft is not regarded as a security risk.

eastern wiseguy
6th Aug 2007, 15:42
Sitting in the public area before security at CLE I noticed a few bags wedged under a seat. I moved Mrs EW away from the area and mentioned it to the TSA guy.He said to "not worry" as it was the guys from kerbside check in who had "probably" left them there:confused::confused:

As a native of Northern Ireland I remain unconvinced that this would not be a breach of "security".

As an aside they went through me for a shortcut in security as I was travelling alone on a one way ticket.

k3lvc
6th Aug 2007, 15:45
Given BA's current record of bag handling in T1/T4 there are generally hundreds of unattended bags in reclaim at any one time. Suggest there are more pressing issues to worry about.

Story would be very different if this happened in the check in area !

DogfighterF22
6th Aug 2007, 16:42
Appreciate the feedback.

I guess, as you say, less of a threat when a bag is unattended following all the screening.

Guess I was taken aback by the attitude of the guy. Had he mentioned "Its all been screened by the time it gets here" I'd have prolly wound my neck in at that point.

:)

Final 3 Greens
6th Aug 2007, 17:22
Dogfighter

Ask yourself how many terrorist attacks have been successful in Switzerland.

Either these people are complacent or just maybe very good?

marlowe
7th Aug 2007, 08:13
spotted a bag stuffed under the escalator at Madrid airport the other week i approached a security person about this and was told that there was nothing he could do about it as it was not in his section!!!!!!!I guess it was not his section that got blown up about 7 months ago either!!!!!

k3lvc
7th Aug 2007, 14:36
Agree v.different scenario if you're in Madrid vs Geneva