PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Oz

Go Right Ahead
6th Aug 2007, 07:53
Anyone know much about the Mins and T&C of Tiger Airways Oz. Went to their site and doesnt really say much. They are looking for drivers and obviously rating and time of type will be given preference. That's about all I can find on their site.

Cheers:ok:

Trustworthy
24th Nov 2007, 09:50
Looks like you will need to be skilled in preparing your own food, buying your own uniform and flying to a schedule with no ground handling at the other end but hey you could end up as chief pilot in a very short space of time!

Icarus2001
26th Nov 2007, 08:14
Given that they were supposed to start with five aircraft and I can only find three on the CASA register (VNB, VNC, VND), I would not get too excited about applying. Most recruits so far appear to be word of mouth recommendations from CP etc.
I do know that yes you pay for your uniform but from an allowance, you are provided a sandwich, if you want something more you can take it with you. You will need to pay for your own parking at the airport.
Assuming four crews per aircraft at five aircraft that is only twenty FO's and twenty Captains required. Until they expand of course. They have threatened up to thirty aircraft. Put in context VB have about 55 737's.
The salary is comparable to VB and Jetstar but as it is a base salary plus an hourly rate then it depends on how much flying you do. Given their low cost model you could expect to do 900-1000 hours per annum. Also there are no overnights planned. I don't know how BN-PER-BN will work when they eventually do that route or even SY-PER-SY with a good Westerly breeze.

Razor
26th Nov 2007, 08:54
BN-PER-BN is a QF SH rostered day already, so not a problem. I would hazard a guess with SY-PER-SY as well.

Sue Ridgepipe
26th Nov 2007, 09:10
You will need to pay for your own parking at the airport.
:eek::eek:

Last time I parked in the short term car park at Melbourne I nearly had to take out a second mortgage to pay the fees. This could become quiet an expensive little exercise. I guess the only other options are catch the Skybus, buy a motorbike (can they still get in/out for free?) or park at maccas/bp servo/holiday inn.

fruitloop
26th Nov 2007, 09:26
I didn't know that Tiger were going to do any Syd flights !! or Brizvegas !!

Icarus2001
26th Nov 2007, 09:34
Razor, how is the stick time on BN-PER-BN? Any RDO next day to compensate?
Fruitloop, just speculating, you could be correct but have a look at the network route on their website...http://www.tigerairways.com.au/flight/destinations.php

satos
26th Nov 2007, 10:06
Tiger staff park in the MEL airport staff carpark but pay for the parking themselves rather than the company paying it. The cost is $70 per month, so its not as bad as the short-term carpark prices!

A.K.A. also known as tigeraarrse airlines.

amos2
26th Nov 2007, 10:14
Well, notwithstanding what some of you are saying...

if you wanna job with an airline that has good backing, is here to stay, and will have 50 plus airplanes in a few years time...

get in early and join now!!

Hottie
26th Nov 2007, 12:56
I agree with amos2 chaps and chapettes !
There are always pro's and con's with any job, hey we ALL know that... but Tiger, to me, seem like they'll be around for good..in fact, it's such a company which will possibly boost Australia's aviation industry..
To all dreaming of flying jets, AND WANT TO STAY IN AUSTRALIA, this may be a good option.
It's about everyone's childhood (or otherwise) dream coming true.. so GO FOR IT !
I wish all Crew and staff with Tiger a prosperous and successful start in Oz
....VB... look out.. :ok: (all in good jest, of course)

Safe, happy landings

G Cantstandya
26th Nov 2007, 21:16
Amos,

Perhaps a lilltle premeture ( 50 a/c in a few years )

But good luck to them.........:ok:there probably going to need it.!!!

Cactus Jak
26th Nov 2007, 21:30
Well, loads are very good at the moment so i guess they're doing OK so far.

By the way, if you are happy with roughly 195,000 a year as a captain (based on 900 hrs a year and includes retention bonus at the end of 3rd year ) and a good work environment, go to Tiger. Simple. If you're not happy, don't go.

I don't know about anyone else but i think that is good money.

Buster Hyman
26th Nov 2007, 21:52
Hi Amos.

Whilst I'm happy to see Tiger flying here, and what you are saying is 100% correct wrt backing & a solid base, I don't think you could take it for granted that they'd stick around.

SQ are pretty tough when it comes to under performing routes & if Tiger Oz doesn't hit the targets that have been set, they'll just up & leave, IMHO.

Yes, good backing, yes better chance to survive than OzJet/Compass etc but, perhaps not as dedicated to the Australian market as we'd like to believe...

Just a thought.

Skystar320
26th Nov 2007, 21:59
Sorry Buster, I dont agree with you

QF jumped into Asia with Jet*asia so from the surface SQ are coming into Australia to pi** QF off?

Jet*asia = losing money
Tiger = Apparently is losing money [cannot be confirmed]

Now do tell me if you require me to go indepth on the article

Skystar320
26th Nov 2007, 22:19
Not sure if TT are loosing money (I doubt it) but I can say that all flights are pretty much full & the inflight sales have been great so far.

Tiger, If an aircraft is full doesnt mean that the aircraft are running on profits - they may have sold all those tickets cheaply to get bums on seats to get the brand known.

This is what start up airlines usually do at the start. Sell cheap tickets to get the brand know and slowly mark the prices up

Jet* recently sold 5,000 tickets at 0.05cents - Hardly that wont make a profit $250

UNOME
26th Nov 2007, 23:11
If you go to the destination map and have a ponder for a moment, you can see the game park growing.

Singapore, Incheon, Manila (and in the future) Chennai, Portland USA, and Santiago will be the hubs.

SIA has a swag full of brand new A330s coming that they simply do not want or need.

The Big Tiger's fly out of the hubs chock full of happy punters and disgorge them to the waiting cubs, who further desperse them.

Big backers will do big things!:ok:

Alien Role
26th Nov 2007, 23:55
SQ have been prevented , by the previous Federal Gov'nt (with heavy lobbying by Q) from operating what could be a very lucrative market for them, ie. the Pacific route.
So how does one get around such an obstacle?
You start a lcc operation domestically and get your Australian AOC - doesn't matter too much if you run at a profit or even a small loss; how many $billions of cash reserves do SQ have? From what I can recollect it was about $8b way back in 2001 when they were trying to buy into Ansett.
Once one has the Australian AOC stitched up, that entitles the operator to an International AOC!!!
So my prediction is, that before too long we will see Tiger Pacific, a pseudo SQ operation from Oz on the Pacific route.
It will be a full service, bells and whistles (SQ) operation aimed squarely at Qantas and United.

Those crew in on the ground floor of Tiger, may well have a brilliant career ahead of them!!!!!!!!!!

Role on......:ok::ok::ok:

Buster Hyman
27th Nov 2007, 00:07
Now do tell me if you require me to go indepth on the article
Why the sarcasm? And what article do you refer to?

Skystar320
27th Nov 2007, 00:13
Why the sarcasm? And what article do you refer to?

Sorry Buster, no scarcasm was intented at all. What i mean about the article is i.e would you like me to expand on my points. Wrong choice of words I used

Buster Hyman
27th Nov 2007, 00:44
Ahh, ok...all good then.:ok:

No, no need to elaborate, I fully understand your point. I've just seen SQ cut & run when it's gotten tough, but not on this level...(There's a line here about Leopards & spots but we've had complaints...)... It is a significant investment to just turn tail...(ooops)..and run.

But, for all employed by them, I have the best of wishes for their future.:ok:

TMAK
28th Nov 2007, 02:51
Alien,

I could be wrong and happy to hear if I am! But I understood to get Int Air Traffic rights, required a certain percentage of local (i.e Australian) ownership. This is why foreign ownership of QF is limited...or was??

Tiger would in such case need to become 50% owned by Australian companies or people? Rather than fully foreign owned. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

sinala1
28th Nov 2007, 03:11
Once one has the Australian AOC stitched up, that entitles the operator to an International AOC!!!
My understanding is the same as TMAK's - any airline that wishes to gain an International AOC to operate out of Australia must be majority Australian owned.

bushy
28th Nov 2007, 06:07
Wasn't qantas more than 50% foreign owned during the recent buyout offer?

Prado
1st Dec 2007, 09:34
Whilst Tiger might have good loads in the first week or so of operations, it would not be profitable - plenty of promo fares riding around atm. I heard of a family buying $10 seats on an inaugural service a week out from departure. Me thinks that flight was not full and we wanted bums on seats!

Who can tell what the future will be for Tiger - but they are in a better position that, say, Ozjet in the backing that they have from SQ. The economy will be the big player in how many carriers prosper - there's gotta be disposable income to spend on recreation and that is particularly pertinent for the LCC's market.

Cheers
Prado.