PDA

View Full Version : Hilton Wilkinson story

lizzard
6th Aug 2007, 07:28
Anybody with information w.r.t Hilton WIlkinson who was shot down in Angola in the mid 90's and his son junior Hilton, also shot down after going to look for his father, please send me a pm.
A reporter friend who went to school with Hilton is doing a story on it.
Thx

Shockwave Sam
6th Aug 2007, 08:56
Flew with Hilton (Jr) in Angola-don't have anymore on the missile story and the Hercs getting shot down but he was a top boy and so was his Dad-if only someone had blatted that Savimbi farqhar sooner they may have still been with us.

beechbum
6th Aug 2007, 11:42
I flew with Hilton and met his father on numerous occassions whilst in Angola. His name was Johnny if I remember rightly. As a mate of Hiltons I would like to understand that the journalist has received permission to write the story since it is such a sensitive issue. To drag everything up again would be a painful thing for all.

lizzard
8th Aug 2007, 06:46
Thx for the replies guys.
The reporter went to school with jr. Hilton, so I'm sure he understands its a painfull issue. Apparently both aircraft were found earlier this year, so the chapter probably needs to be closed. If anybody would be willing to share their experiences with the reporter, it will be much appreciated.

TCAS-Climb
10th Aug 2007, 16:38
Howdy lizzard,

I spent six years with Transafik, worked with John W, what a gentleman!!!
Hilton then had just started to fly, met him with his dad a few times up in Luanda, seemed to be a really nice chap too.
A Chap you might want to contact is Don Rodgers, he has the low down on the two ugly disasters!!!!
His email is: [email protected], i suggest you drop him an email.
He's a Transafrik enthusiast with lots of info and pictures and stories!

Balmy
11th Aug 2007, 15:03
Hilton flew for us in Angola and was a character of note and very well liked by pax and fellow crew.

In my opinion however I can see very little advantage to anyone (except perhaps the reporter) in anyone writing a story or an aticle about this.........I for one would need a whole lot more info about the background and reasons for the story before being willing to co-operate in any way........generally journalists and aviation dont mix well.

I would suggest that if your friend really wants to do this, he should first speak to Hilton's mother and sisters, and if they want it written you may get some guys willing to help.

If they dont want it written then leave it alone.

P.S. The aircraft were found shortly after the incident

lizzard
12th Aug 2007, 17:32
Hey TCas. Thx for the info, will drop Don a mail.

putco
14th Aug 2007, 04:41
Hilton JNR was a tremendous character, touched by all who knew him. I have several "good" pics of him!

I started writing a book about my 5 years of contract flying, when Hilton was shot down I wrote the final chapter to him. Got someone to proof read it for me and was advised that those things cannot be said about the UN, NGO's and savages! So I closed my journals and have not written a thing since.

Whoever drags up the past on this friend needs to have it all in a row otherwise there's going to be dust.

Heli-Jet
14th Aug 2007, 15:11
Putco .... read a book called "Lords Of Poverty" and it will restore your faith in completing your book. Author is Graham Hancock

oerlikon
15th Aug 2007, 23:56
Putco,

The truth needs out.

If you finished your book, publish it. Before I get mine out!

If what you have written is the truth, how can anyone condemn you?

Go for it!

PS Hilton's story is a sad accompaniament to what went on there. The futillety of his passing will not go unremembered.